Join Us in July - Register Today!

still wearing my wristband

I can’t seem to remove the wristband – by choice that is.  It represents a long ride that I completed. 

Might need to see a shrink about this……

12 Replies

DotComFactory, August 7, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Funny.  Teammate had scissors out Monday morning in Atlantic, trimming some clothing.  I asked him to trim the excess from my wristband.  Without saying a word – in a split-second – he cuts right through the wristband.  Left me holding it, no longer on my wrist.  Was able to get a snap from RAGBRAI to close it back around my wrist…

I have removed mine, but I know how you feel.  I still haven’t put my watch back on since returning from “vacation”.

busymike, August 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

just took mine off 2 days ago – it was getting in the way of me typing. but i loved wearing it. my bike band is still on, so i guess that will have to do.

AnnG, August 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

I used to keep mine for several days afterward too, until my husband would finally suggest that it’s time to cut it off.  In more recent years I have been using Coppertone Sport 50 spf sunscreen.  It seems to eat away at the band, and it’s foul and disgusting by the end of the week, so I’m only too glad to cut it off.  Yet I still use it to protect my skin.  Hmm.

Numbers, August 8, 2011 at 11:18 am

AnnG, maybe you’re just too tough for the sunscreen to do anything to you!

CyclingCyclone, August 8, 2011 at 11:42 am

Yep, cutting of the wristband represents the end of RAGBRAI.  As RAGBRAI is full of traditions, my cutting of the band is once the Skunk bus arrives back in Ames, and I shower at my parents house, that is when I cut my band off.  Then I can start to look forward to next year’s ride. 
Back in ’83, ’84, and ’85 the Register gave us little plastic medalions attached to a little key chain to wear to represent we paid.  easier to remove, and the metal links would rust from wearing all week.

barbara45000, August 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Cutting off my wristband is a huge bummer for me. Ragbrai is a time of doing what I love for a week…..biking 6-8 hrs a day, eating when I want, and almost anything I want, sleeping outside under the stars, hopefully a bit cooler than this year, and having “me time”……it’s a hard thing to give up after all week of that day after day after day…….

barbara45000, August 8, 2011 at 12:23 pm

My bike band stays on though…………..

birddog42, August 8, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Get over it…………cut it off and look forward to next years ride!!!

DotComFactory, August 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm

busymike saidmy bike band is still on, so i guess that will have to do.

Seen some riders who have a decade’s worth of bike bands on their top tube.  I too have the last two year’s bands on my bicycle.  I place them on the head tube above the top tube so I don’t need to cut them off when time to change rides…

RJBTrek, August 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I cut it off my wrist band while waiting in line for showers in Davenport.  I did not keep it. My memories of the people, times and fun are now strong but I know  are fleeting…Later in life I do not need reminders of these moments.  When they fade, the trinkets kept will only be the instruments of torture reminding me that I once knew of the good times on Ragbrai.

SSC1, August 10, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I guess some of us just handle the sentimental side of the trip differently. 

I was being facetious when I suggested seeing a “shrink.”  I’m really just keeping the wristband on for awhile because it generates conversations with my friends and the golfing league guys I see each week.  I might keep it on until my first week of university teaching is over – just to generate conversation with the students.  Then – probably I’ll cut it off and put it with the patch I received as part of my registration – and a copy of the booklet (new) that we were sent with registration – and maybe a cool pic or two – in a framed collage on my office wall.  I like to look up and see these kinds of things on the wall …………….I guess you get the idea.

Memories are fun.

Zinger, August 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

My BF just presented me with the best memento ever of last year’s RAGBRAI- an 8×10 of my sons and I just after dipping our tires in Dubuque! It was worth waiting a year for!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters