So, how's the weather in Iowa?

I’m sitting here in McHenry County in northern Illinois, listening to the Chicago TV weatherman predicting 5 to 10 inches of snow for us tomorrow….

13 Replies

Anonymous, April 27, 2019 at 4:39 am

Looks like a 100% chance of weather … ..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING… * WHAT…Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of up to 2 to perhaps 4 inches expected. Winds gusting as high as 35 to 40 mph. * WHERE…Northern Iowa. * WHEN…From 7 AM to 7 PM CDT Saturday. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Roads may become slippery due to falling snow and gusty winds could cause trouble for high profile vehicles at times and restricted visibility. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will cause primarily travel difficulties. Roads may become snow covered and visibility may be limited at times. Use caution while driving. The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1. &&
More Information
…Spring Snow Storm to Impact Northern Iowa Today… .A rapidly moving low pressure system is expected to bring an area of rain to transition to snow over northern to northeast portions of Iowa today. The snow is expected to be wet, sticky and heavy at times. Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour are likely and with the strong winds expected during the most intense snowfall, resulting in significant visibility restrictions and dangerous travel conditions today.

RDaryl Daryl, April 27, 2019 at 8:52 am

Looks like there are still significant road closures on Highway 29 North of Council Bluffs and South of Glenwood due to recent flooding damage. Continued prayers for all those affected in Iowa and surrounding states by the “spring” floods. Makes the next 24-48 hours of potential snow relatively insignificant for us Northern Illinois residents (in the big picture).

I agree with the 100% rule. There is 100% chance there will be weather during the last week of July.
And a similar chance that there will be bicycling in Iowa that week . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

jwsknk, April 27, 2019 at 2:17 pm

Tuesday was almost summer. Today almost winter.

KenH, April 28, 2019 at 8:30 am

Snowed all day here but melted as it fell until the last three hours or so with the result that we got three inches instead of ten. Compared to the flooding west of here it wouldn’t have been more than an annoyance even if we’d gotten ten.

Larry Klaaren, April 28, 2019 at 11:29 am

I drove from New Lenox, IL (east of Joliet) to Oskaloosa yesterday. Rained and snowed but never icy. Pretty cold here. I have my bike but waiting to hit 50 later today.

Amanda, April 28, 2019 at 7:17 pm

Yesterday was ick. Today cold and windy. Monday Spring – sunny and 55. Next Saturday – sunny and 70!

T. Gap Woo, April 28, 2019 at 10:46 pm

As Mark Twain once said about the weather in New England, “If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute.”

As Daddy Woo used to say, “This is Tex-Mex weather: chili today and hot tamale!”

If we can only bottle up the cool weather today and open it up in the heat of July, it would be ideal. But as Daddy Woo also used to say, “If ands and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all get fat together!”

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

KenH, April 29, 2019 at 11:40 am

I walked to church yesterday morning at 7am with my bass guitar on my back. The streets were already snow free, the sidewalks mostly so, the lawns and tree limbs were still thickly covered. By the time second service was over at noon there was barely a flake to be seen anywhere. This morning has been rain, rain, rain. It will end soon for a bit but the next two days will have some too and might prevent me from biking to work. Well, to/from the train stations anyway, METRA rail does the heavy lifting for my commute. This weekend looks pretty nice and my riding buddies are chomping at the bit to get one in on Saturday morning so hopefully I can make up for lost time then! I too expect we would love to have some of this coolness on tap come late July. The rain, not so much!!

BillSpriggs, April 29, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Last week the weather in central California was unseasonably warm, low 90’s, this week in the low 80’s. I was able to ride 100 miles last week. Hopefully I can get in another 100 miles this week.

Lita Kasper, May 1, 2019 at 5:58 am

Hi Ken! My group is also from McHenry county! Weather has been crazy, huh?! Let’s just hope it plays nice in July…

KenH, May 1, 2019 at 7:44 am

Hi Lita, I think we can count on some challenging weather in July too! But there should be some pleasant days as well and some years we get great weather the whole week. If you are from McHenry County then your team like mine is probably morning the end of the Udder Century on the first Sunday of June. We are casting about for alternatives and are probably going to ride the Swedish Days century in Kane County on the 23rd of June. Should be a good tuneup ride for RAGBRAI.

Just checked my profile on this website and then my email to discover that MY TEAM HAS WRISTBANDS!!

Who cares about the weather now, eh?!

RDaryl Daryl, May 1, 2019 at 8:07 am

Thoughts and prayers for those impacted by the Davenport barrier failure and all other flooding in the mid-west. Also thinking about the farmers needing to get their fields planted in the next few weeks . . . . . . . .

jwsknk, May 1, 2019 at 10:39 am

Rain and snow out across the Dakotas, that will eventually run into the Missouri . Which I hear is still running across some of the roads in SW Iowa, Saw a story out of Nebraska where a river changed course and left several inches of sand across fields and feedlots. Looks like a beach. Ames had rain yesterday, forecast is chance of rain tonight, Saturday night, Sunday, Monday night, Tuesday. looks like Friday and most of Saturday decent to get in some miles.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI