Software – Scheduling – Project management

Does anyone have a simple comprehensive project management template for this ride? This is my first time. We have a team of 8 plus support staff of 4. Figure someone has a good working foundation we could scale down to our needs.

23 Replies

mootsman, March 17, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Clyde,

There are lots of options for you to consider without riding back. It sounds like you are planning on leaving your car at the start town. Not the only option either.

1) Ride to the nearest town with 1-way car rentals (La Crosse Wi. in this case). Pick up your stuff back in Lansing and drop it at your car except for your bike. Go to the nearest town that has an office to return your rental and ride back to your car.

2) Use a charter group listed on RAGBRAI’s web page. They almost all will let you park in the end town and bus it with luggage and your bike to the start town. They have a wide variety of services levels. Some even have tent services that setup your tent and drop your luggage in it every day. Then pick it up the next morning and pack the tent (Brancel. Pork Belly Ventures, Bubba’s, and more at: https://ragbrai.com/about/charter-services/ ).

3) Lots of low cost Iowa based RAGBRAI “teams” provide similar and cheaper services but you will need to help out with chores. Watch this forum as they look for riders to fill their buses.

This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by mootsman.

Clyde Halsrud, March 17, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Mootsman,

Thank you for the ideas. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

ESchiers, March 21, 2017 at 4:39 pm

If you’re interested in something simple, do a shared Google doc with everyone on the trip. Allow each person to read and edit. It works offline and everyone can access before, during, and after the trip as needed. It’s a simple solution as long as everyone has a cell phone and a Gmail account.

hnschipper, March 22, 2017 at 10:47 am

We’ve never made a formal document or schedule or anything. Our plans usually consist of how are we getting to the start town? How are we getting home from the end town? How are we getting our stuff from one town to another? Other than that, we just go enjoy the ride. The logistics will all work themselves out.

stuckinmizzou, March 22, 2017 at 11:13 am

The important thing is to make sure you get the unofficial unauthorized Bar Guide XLVII brought to you by your friends at Team Brewhaha! (that will help you manage your project for drinking establishments).

Evin Thompson, March 26, 2017 at 1:53 pm

So to be honest I was a bit horrified when I saw this topic. I tend to approach RAGBRAI as my week of Zen and not worry about a thing. But then, I have ridden with awesome teams over the years so I can get away with it. FUNGUS RULES!

I was a certified PMP at one point in my life, and still use all of those tools in my current employment. So on my ride today in beautiful southern VA, I got to thinking about his thread.

All of you that bashed on this rider have used the classic techniques used in project management planning; identification of the task, planning of the tasks, execution, monitoring and closeout. PMP allows one to put all of those things in an organized framework with which to execute the best week of the year. Even Mitchrider subconsciously uses this, otherwise he would be wondering where Iowa was.

As I am thinking about this, there are certain things during RAGBRAI that fit nicely into a PMP framework using project as the tool to manage. What are those things that you really want to do during RAGBRAI that are important to you? While I have not thought about it a lot I know I want to go to the Surf Ballroom, spend at lest two hours hanging out at Clear Lake, make sure I see Hairball and the Johnny Holms Band, yes rumors are that they will both be playing. I have expectations that our support crew will be at our overnight location when I arrive after 8-12 hours on the road that day. I know that RAGBRAI is not 400+ miles, nor 7 days of riding, but instead about 42 rides of 6-15 miles. All of this can be put into a project template and laid out so that you have a good framework of how to manage your time on RAGBRAI, with a lot of flexibly to have the spontaneous things you want to do, but still do the things that you have really want to do.

While not simple to lay this out, it would not be over complicated to put together in MS Project form.

So the challenge to all those that are PMP’s and want to gather their continuing education credits, go for it, help out this individual and the RAGBRAI nation that want to take advantage of such a tool to enhance and plan their RAGBRAI experience. Maybe TJ can leverage an RAGBARI intern at one of the great universities in Iowa to figure this out for us all.

Michrider !!!, March 26, 2017 at 2:44 pm

ethompson: All of you that bashed on this rider have used the classic techniques used in project management planning; identification of the task, planning of the tasks, execution, monitoring and closeout. PMP allows one to put all of those things in an organized framework with which to execute the best week of the year. Even Mitchrider subconsciously uses this, otherwise he would be wondering where Iowa was.

Yes, Evan you are correct. Remember, I live in Kentucky. I always travel to RAGBRAI with someone smarter than me (not too difficult to find) that knows how to get to Iowa. My only Schedule for RAGBRAI, consists of a beer every 15 miles. The thought of that next beverage gets me down the road. In the heat of summer, in Iowa, that alcohol burns off quickly and I need to replace those fluids in another 15 miles!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Michrider !!!.

This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Michrider !!!.

Gypsy Rose, March 26, 2017 at 5:32 pm

One of the early lessons I learned about bike travel, or, any kind of travel, (or, maybe about life itself), is “no expectations, therefore no disappointments.”

While biking, my preference is to remain open to whatever each day might bring, without any set schedule or pre-planned idea of what I’m going to see or do along the way.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t plan. Before leaving on a trip, I make sure I have the tools, parts, rain gear, emergency snacks, or whatever I might need when the unexpected arises. Then, I just let the day happen, remaining open to the possibilities along the way.

So, here’s my plan. Get to Iowa in late July. Bring a bike and some cash. Smile and laugh a lot. See what each day brings. Enjoy!

Cheers,
~ Kevin

Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015