RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Solo Bagger suggestions

Hi All,

Third RAGBRAI, but first solo and first bagging it. Looking for any advice to make this a good experience. Here’s a few on my mind:

– where to camp? main campground? find a group? find a secluded shade tree?
– anything I should haul that isn’t obvious?
– security?? – will need to leave my gear every night to find food/showers/etc
– also, I’d love a good recommendation on a good tent with a vestibule big enough for my bike… that doesn’t weigh a ton of course.
– will be hauling everything in panniers if that makes a difference on recommendations.

Appreciate any thoughts.

See you all out there!

5 Replies

Bartaped, April 6, 2012 at 7:51 am

I BAG every year solo……….
Camping – I like to find a spot with good shade, Kybo reasonably close and a shower also close.

Haul a goodtime and leave the worries at home. even with panniers there is room for the tent fan!

Security – I bring a light cable lock, O only use it at night after i hit the sleeping bag,Notany worries other times.

I personally like my Kelty Gunnison 2, not big enough for the bike but has 2 vestibules, Leaving the bike out at night is not a worry, put a shower cap over the brooks and call it good.

I use panniers – Housing in the front 2 panniers and Clothes and personall items in the rear.
Once you Bag it you will love riding Ragbrai this way. Look for the Brown Kona Sutra and say hello.

Sandaltan ., April 6, 2012 at 12:04 pm

When you get that tent do a couple of out and back weekend trips. Experience is a great teacher. Don’t be afraid to pick a weekend where rain is possible.

RIDE RIGHT

Dan in Iowa, April 7, 2012 at 9:57 am

It won’t take you long to learn who the noisy teams are and who’s quiet. Names certainly have nothing to do with it! I also look at the food locations and stage location before I set up tent. I like bagging it very well. A lot more freedom in it. The only real extra luxury I carry is my floor pump! Bagging it certainly creates a lot of conversations, too, while on the road.

CyclingRoberto, April 7, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I suggest you take a charter. Put some styrofoam in your bags, and fake it. :-P

Michrider !!!, April 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Sandaltan:
When you get that tent do a couple of out and back weekend trips.Experience is a great teacher.Don’t be afraid to pick a weekend where rain is possible.

RIDE RIGHT

Put up your tent in the backyard and turn the sprinker on for the night!!!! Better to know now about the leaks!!!!!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI