RAGBRAI XLVIII lottery results will be emailed to riders throughout the week!

Spam Posts

Is there a way to filter out all the spam posts and posters from the forum? It’s really annoying to see.

11 Replies

T. Gap Woo, April 28, 2021 at 11:06 am

I’ve been working on an anti-BS spray, similar to insect repellant and bear spray, but haven’t worked out all of the bugs yet. Every time I spray it on my cellphone or computer, things short-circuit 😩. I’ll keep working on this. I’m the meantime, I’m following Daddy Woo’s advice:

Don’t feed the trolls!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

mootsman, April 28, 2021 at 12:42 pm

TJ had said they have some anti-spam software that was doing a pretty good job despite a few IDs that beak through. They usually then delete that account. Not sure who watches for those currently. There were a couple of those recently, 9centschange, livep2plive, charmstiffany.

Maybe someone from RAGBRAI could delete those ID???

hnschipper, April 28, 2021 at 8:19 pm

The fact that those spam posts are still there tells me that RAGBRAI staff do not monitor the forums very often.

Rob Fuller, April 28, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Spam? Does anyone remember the year that a group zip-tied an empty spam can to each of their helmets? I’m guessing it was for recognition in the crowds.

Andrea Parrott, April 29, 2021 at 8:50 am

LOL I remember Team SPAM. Maybe they can help us. We just switched over to this new website design and it looks like it allowed more spam posts to come through. So I’ve put in a ticket with IT. Feel free to message me in the meantime if you see something I’ve missed. I also tried to delete some of the more egregious bot accounts.

Andrea Parrott, April 29, 2021 at 8:56 am

That spam bot really wants us to watch the Masters 😂

mootsman, April 29, 2021 at 9:34 am

I was mistaken and 9centschange is a real user at least now. It appeared the ID was deleted and recreated after the spam post. The post that looked like spam though is gone. I wonder if the way they break through is to hack individual IDs and post under legit IDs? Obviously the one posting about live streaming the Masters Golf Tournament after the actual tournament was spam.

T. Gap Woo, May 4, 2021 at 8:18 am

Let’s give a great big shout-out to the IT folks at DMR!! While my anti-BS spray is still in development, they devised a way to trap trolls. The inclusion of “Captcha” as a prerequisite to submitting a post will banish the trolls and send them back under the troll-bridge.

Good job, IT folks. Thanks! 👍👏

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

9centschange, May 4, 2021 at 8:27 am

@mootsman. Yep, been a real user the whole time. I was wondering why my username was deleted. My “registration still open?” post was and is legit as I still haven’t hear from anyone about my team in limbo.

I do hope you all watched the Masters though.

KenH, May 5, 2021 at 8:18 am

I don’t view recaptcha as an improvement, it is more annoying than the spam!

Plus my work VPN is now regarded as a known source of spam, which I find curious because I work for a defense contractor and we have VERY secure networks. So I can’t post from work anymore and if I want to post from my phone at work I have to turn off WiFi so that it doesn’t connect through our work VPN.

I’d rather they just gave a few trusted volunteers the authority to delete spam posts.

No masters for us although my wife did put the Derby on and the $1000 horse pulled off the upset victory!

mootsman, May 6, 2021 at 9:00 am

9cent, Your ID might have been hacked. There was a post from it that got deleted that appeared to be spam. Or maybe a reply to a many years old post that is typical of a spam reply post like charmstiffany had posted. Some spammers use phony IDs and some hack existing IDs. They added robot detection now so that should eliminate all automated spam

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI