RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Speaker for water bottle cage? JBL Flip 4? Suggestions?

Was looking at getting a JBl Flip 4 speaker…..does anyone have one? Does it fit in your waterbottle cage? Too big? Too small? Any other suggestions? Theres also the Scosche BoomBottle, they advertise it fits in a water bottle cage but not sure if the quality is as good….

7 Replies

Sam, July 10, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I’ve made one fit in my wire cage, but I had to bend it some. Best to get one of the over-sized cages with a strap. Also check to see if there is a firmware update before you leave, I know it had some pairing issues early on.

Dave Morrow, July 10, 2018 at 1:06 pm

Riding on roads that are populated by motor vehicles requires my full auditory attention. Why not listen to the wind and birds and the motor vehicle approaching you from the rear? If I come upon folks listening to speakers when riding I am going to give them a wide berth. I’ve been riding road bikes seriously since the early 1970s and my hearing approaching motor vehicles has saved my bacon more than once. If you are listening to music while road cycling, might as well ditch the helmet too – the wind in the straps might interfere with your appreciation…

bugs11, July 10, 2018 at 1:11 pm

And for heavens sake don’t drink from any garden hoses along the route! If you do, you’ll get the scurvy and die. :)

I don’t know anything about speakers other than I’m too cheap to buy one.

Mike Howe, July 10, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Uhh ok Dave. I see your one of the many other people who like to tell others how they should enjoy riding their bike. If it werent for people like you I would have no idea how to enjoy riding my bike or how I should enjoy ragbrai.

“Do ragbrai how you want to do it….. as long its the way i want you to do it” That should be the ragbtai motto next year.

HillsAngels1, July 10, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Bluetooth Speaker System by Celtic Blu – 16W 100ft Range w/Surround Sound – Comes w/Built-In Power Bank, TF Slot, FM, Bike Cage & Remote (Black). is the 1 i use you get it on amazon

Anonymous, July 12, 2018 at 9:46 pm

I love my JBL flip! I would suggest buying Velcro straps so you can mount the speaker on the top tube. That way you can carry two water bottles and still have tunes.

Marla Shifflett, July 12, 2018 at 10:11 pm

I have the Flip 3 and I like it a lot. I think the 3 is bigger than the 4, but some rubber straps or rubber bands or something should make it work in your water bottle holder if that’s where you want to carry it. I do put a rubber band on the little tab on the bottom of the water bottle holder to keep it from occasionally “buzzing” with the bass tones. Good Luck!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI