Join Us in July - Register Today!

speaking of Templeton Rye…………

Tony and ST and anyone else……

Do we have a side trip planned on Monday????

69 Replies

HornetHigh, March 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm

So is it true that we can’t buy a bottle of TR on RAGBRAI? (short supply?)  I would think that they would be wanting to sell as much as they can.  I, for one, want to get a bottle just ’cause (it tastes good, I like wihiskey, and many more).  Any inside information on the real scoop???

#26287

“Bicycle Bill”, March 19, 2011 at 10:47 pm

HornetHigh said: So is it true that we can’t buy a bottle of TR on RAGBRAI? (short supply?)  I would think that they would be wanting to sell as much as they can.  I, for one, want to get a bottle just ’cause (it tastes good, I like wihiskey, and many more).  Any inside information on the real scoop???

I’m guessing it’s due to state liquor taxes and licensing laws more than anything else.  Who would go to a liquor store and pay marked-up prices if they could buy the stuff direct from the source?

Giving away samples is one thing; breweries do it all the time.  But as a general thing, they don’t have a side door where you can buy a six-pack to go either.

-“BB”-

#26288

“Bicycle Bill”, March 19, 2011 at 11:52 pm

In the video and accompanying text, it says that Templeton sells to the State of Iowa, who applies the taxes (markup) and then sells direct to the retailers, who in turn set the ultimate shelf prices.

So, for those of you who have been fortunate enough to find a bottle, what are the average retail prices?  I’m close enough to Iowa that I could perhaps do a little border-hopping and, if I’m lucky, bring back a bottle or two, but I’d like a clue as to how deep I’d need to dig into the cookie jar.

-“BB”-

#26290

knees36, March 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm

“Bicycle Bill” said: In the video and accompanying text, it says that Templeton sells to the State of Iowa, who applies the taxes (markup) and then sells direct to the retailers, who in turn set the ultimate shelf prices. So, for those of you who have been fortunate enough to find a bottle, what are the average retail prices?  I’m close enough to Iowa that I could perhaps do a little border-hopping and, if I’m lucky, bring back a bottle or two, but I’d like a clue as to how deep I’d need to dig into the cookie jar.-“BB”-

Templeton is a small community of 334 seemingly wealthy folk.  Every home is immaculate…like a small mansion…every lawn mowed to perfection…a big beautiful church in town…a bar/restaurant in a spotless one block business district!!!  Translation~~~better dig deep, Beebs, that Templeton Rye is good stuff!!!

#26291

madone, March 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm

HH… Am I going to have a headache during RAGBRAI?

#26292

Pirate Brewer, March 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm

BB – In Illinois I’ve seen these bottles go for $41 to $45.  I don’t think Iowa will be much cheaper.  It’s really nice to sip on.  I have to keep it away from my brother-in-law or he will mix it with Diet Coke.

#26293

helenheart, March 20, 2011 at 7:34 pm

madone said: HH… Am I going to have a headache during RAGBRAI?

Well Madone – that all depends on who you curb with and how good you are at saying – ‘No thank you, I’ve had enough’

Best of luck.
xo

#26294

Sandaltan ., March 22, 2011 at 9:51 am

Templeton is gearing up for us and will be ready.  Templeton Rye is selling their bike jerseys at cost, anybody have one now???
http://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/hotnews/newsdisplay.asp?NewsID=4924

RIDE RIGHT

#26295

sestrain, March 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Ordered my jersey this afternoon.  Now, I’m looking for a bottle of TR to see if it is as good as they say.  There has to be a bottle somewhere in Arizona, California, or Nevada.

#26296

Tony, March 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Looks like lunch in Templeton. TR sells for 35 a 750 at local Hy-Vee’s. But its rationed at 6 bottles a month per store. So you have to be there at the right time. It rarely last a day on the shelf. In Chicago It goes for 65-75 a bottle, if you can find it. The “Good Stuff” has a strong following. TR needs to expand its Ops with more stills. The secret is out…. 

#26297

jwsknk, March 23, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Tony said: Looks like lunch in Templeton. TR sells for 35 a 750 at local Hy-Vee’s. But its rationed at 6 bottles a month per store. So you have to be there at the right time. It rarely last a day on the shelf. In Chicago It goes for 65-75 a bottle, if you can find it. The “Good Stuff” has a strong following. TR needs to expand its Ops with more stills. The secret is out…. 

some stores keep a list of those wanting a bottle from the next shipment. Ask at the counter if there is none on the shelf.

#26298

sestrain, March 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I was wrong.  There are no bottles of TR in the tri-state area.  It’s distributed in the South San Francisco Bay area, but not for retail sale.  I guess I’ll have to rely on my sister-in-law to track down a bottle at a Hy-Vee in Sioux City.  If anybody can do it, she can.

#26299

AnnG, March 24, 2011 at 6:26 am

Sestrain, my husband acquired a bottle of TR by putting his name on a waiting list at the local HyVee liquor store.  Then he waited for 6 months, and received his bottle.  So if you know the people at your local store, they could probably help you out in the same way.

#26300

helenheart, March 24, 2011 at 9:59 am

AnnG said: Sestrain, my husband acquired a bottle of TR by putting his name on a waiting list at the local HyVee liquor store.  Then he waited for 6 months, and received his bottle.  So if you know the people at your local store, they could probably help you out in the same way.

Ann – I have the photo to prove it! I didn’t appreciate how special it was at the time!! xo

#26301

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters