Join Us in July - Register Today!

speaking of Templeton Rye…………

Tony and ST and anyone else……

Do we have a side trip planned on Monday????

69 Replies

pHIlo, April 9, 2011 at 6:08 am

Tony said:  I suggested they make cycling caps with there logo on it. Any of you folks interested in Cycling caps with there logo on it?

Yep!

Sandaltan ., April 9, 2011 at 11:47 am

Miles said: in lieu of TR,  Southern Comfort.

Goes double for me!!  I love my SC.

RIDE RIGHT

sestrain, April 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Tony, Sounds like MRDC bought their still from the same place Desert Diamond Distillery did in Germany.   DDD makes their rum and vodka from  sugar cane molasses from Louisiana.  I haven’t tried the vodka, but you’ve got me a little curious. Next Thursday, we head for Paso Robles, CA to pick up some fine wines.  We’ll hit Iowa with a well stocked liquor cabinet. Plus, I vote YES on the cycling caps.

Pirate Brewer, April 9, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Great work, Tony.  Yes on the caps.

I had a recent tour at Great River Brewery in Davenport.  We sampled some great beer in their tasting room located at the brewery.  Do you know if the dip site will be close to this brewery?  If they provide a place to park bikes and sell beer at RAGBRAI it would be good for the RAGBRAI guests to get a taste of good IA beer and good promotion for Great River.  I also found Front Street Brewery (also great beer) only two blocks from Great River.  It looks like this part of the river has great potential for tire dipping.

Tony, April 10, 2011 at 2:53 am

I haven’t had a chance to take the tour of Great River Brewery yet. But it is just up river from the dip site. About 10 blocks. About 2 blocks from Lock and Dam 15 and Front Street Brewery. I like Front Streets Cherry Ale. If you like your beer on the heavy side. Try Buckstown Stout. Front Street is one of the many fine dinning establishments in town too. By bicycle, ride toward the dam on the Mississippi River Trail (MRT). At S Perry St cross HY67 (River Dr) you will see Front St on the corner. To get to Great River Brewery. Continue north on S Perry 1 block turn left on 2nd St, go 2 blocks. Great River is on the corner of Iowa and 2nd. Theres more micro breweries on the Illinois side if you want to venture further. All the breweries are near the bike paths. Just more reasons to stay in town. 

sestrain, April 12, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Well, my 3 bottles of TR arrived this afternoon while I was riding.  It took a lot of self-control not to open up a bottle and try immediately.  Yeah, it’s really smooth, but I’m not used to drinking whiskey straight.  Tomorrow night I’ll try mixing it with 7-up to see how it holds up.

Ragbrai Nation, April 13, 2011 at 4:14 am

I see Boulevard Beer (Kansas City) uses used Templeton Rye kegs to age their beer in. Alright by me!   :)

Amanda, April 13, 2011 at 6:29 am

My bottle of Templeton has arrived at the liquor store – going to pick it up Friday. It’s not for me, it’s for my awesome cousin who not only protects our country but sets my tent up on RAGBRAI!  :)

zippy, April 13, 2011 at 7:01 am

Amanda said: . It’s not for me, it’s for my awesome cousin who not only protects our country but sets my tent up on RAGBRAI!  :)

And who/what would he be protecting it from/for?

helenheart, April 13, 2011 at 8:35 am

sestrain said: ………….. Next Thursday, we head for Paso Robles, CA to pick up some fine wines. 

Be sure to visit Templeton, CA while you are down there. No hard stuff, but delicious Bella Luna, instead.
Where d’ya live, sestrain?

Sandaltan ., April 13, 2011 at 9:08 am

zippy said:

Amanda said: . It’s not for me, it’s for my awesome cousin who not only protects our country but sets my tent up on RAGBRAI!  :)

And who/what would he be protecting it from/for?

Nice tat there zippy.  Makes me want to sign up for a spinning class.

Amanda’s cousin protects us “against all enemies, foreign and domestic”.  That phrase is in the oath of enlistment to the U.S. Armed Forces.

RIDE RIGHT

sestrain, April 13, 2011 at 10:40 am

HH,
We live in Kingman, Arizona.  My wife and I were born and raised in Iowa.  We moved here in 1997.

It’s about 495 miles to Paso Robles.  One of our favorite vineyards is Peachy Canyon which has a Templeton address.  Doce Robles and Bella Rosa are in the same area west of Paso Robles.  All have full bodied reds.

Life’s too short to drink cheap wines.

helenheart, April 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

yowzers – that’s a long way for some red. Can’t blame you though – I love it down there
i was thinking
you were CA peeps – guess not!
have fun and drive safely
xo

Ragbrai Nation, April 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Michrider said: I find it interesting that Templeton Rye is distilled about 20 miles west of where I live in Lawrenceburg, IN, by LDI (formerly Seagram’s).  So it’s from Iowa by way of Indiana?  Who wooda thunk?  Wonder if I can buy a bottle in Lawrenceburg????

Ya i think the Templeton Rye web site mentions there’s a 2nd distillery located in, IN.

Michrider !!!, April 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Bacchettaman said:

Michrider said: I find it interesting that Templeton Rye is distilled about 20 miles west of where I live in Lawrenceburg, IN, by LDI (formerly Seagram’s).  So it’s from Iowa by way of Indiana?  Who wooda thunk?  Wonder if I can buy a bottle in Lawrenceburg????

Ya i think the Templeton Rye web site mentions there’s a 2nd distillery located in, IN.

Listen to what the Templeton people say about there whiskey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G6ZW5igSUA&feature=related

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters