Join Us in July - Register Today!

Stolen Trek Madone 6.2

My 2011 Trek Madone 6.2 was stolen in Coralville overnight. Police report given and Ragbrai officials were contacted, any info would be appreciated.

12 Replies

dberry, July 31, 2011 at 5:49 pm

man, sorry to hear about that.  hope your home owners insurance will cover it. almost all of them will.  every year before we leave, we find out what is or isn’t covered.

sorry again to hear about this. 

dkritter1, August 1, 2011 at 8:23 am

Sucks. Sorry man. We camped near a pretty sketchy area in Coralville and I have to admit that the thought that someone would walk across the street and a steal a few bikes did cross my mind. I brought a bike lock as every year I know someone whose bike gets stolen — and while theft is covered under homeowners, most people’s insurance has a deductable larger than the cost of a bike.

n2fyrnteth, August 2, 2011 at 10:23 am

Found- The Coralville Police just contacted me, Ill be heading back to Coralville this week to pick it up!

getbent, August 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

Yay!

NathanZ, August 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm

WOOOHOOOO!!! Best news ever! Hopefully it’s in good condition!

dberry, August 4, 2011 at 6:18 pm

hear, hear…

good news indeed. Hope it’s in good condition and they caught the person responsible.

n2fyrnteth, August 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Picked the bike up today at Coralville Police Dept. Everything seems to be in great condition, only missing bags and water bottles. They did make an arrest!

AnnG, August 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Good to hear.  I’m glad it worked out for you, minus the bags and water bottles.

Ragbrai Nation, August 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

This is amazing! So glad that you recovered your bike. My bro is a retired peace officer, he will be so glad to hear of the great intercity or ISP departmental work that still goes on!

“Bicycle Bill”, August 6, 2011 at 2:04 am

And if they’ve got a suspect under arrest, you might even be able to sue in small claims for the value of the bags and the bottles.

-“BB”-

CyclingRoberto, August 6, 2011 at 8:17 am

Many times it’s kids doing the stealing, then how do they explain a brand new high end bike?  Other times it’s a drunk who doesn’t enjoy the idea of walking back to his campsite, so he “borrows” a ride.  Glad you recovered your machine.

Just Krusin, August 6, 2011 at 9:12 am

This may sound stranges but might work,eventually.  Several years ago I read something about a bicyclist having his bike returned after it had been stolen 3 or 4 years before.  Seems that he had the idea to tape a note saying’this bike is stolen please call’ and his name and address etc on the steering tube of his fork.  The bike ended up in a shop for repairs, the wrench saw the note and called police.  My last bike I bought I had the wrench but a similar type of note on mine but with the shops name etc, easier to have a stable address, and usually you stay in contact with the shop where you buy a bike.  just a thought, simple but might work.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters