RAGBRAI LI Registration is Now Open!

Stolen

Anyone know the best way to keep your bike safe? My first time and want to keep the bike safe.

19 Replies

Michrider !!!, April 26, 2012 at 9:53 am

roger crowden:
Anyone know the best way to keep your bike safe?My first time and want to keep the bike safe.

Best way to keep your bike safe is to leave it locked up at home. However, that would be no fun! I lock my bike at night but not during the days in pass thru towns. Most people, that I know, do the same!

jwsknk, April 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

Marshalltown and Cedar Rapids are the two I would lock up for sure if I didn’t put the bike in the tent at night. Someone on another thread about locking up suggested a gun lock if you really think you need one during the day, or handcuffs, I suppose fur lined so you don’t scratch the paint :-o

Sandaltan ., April 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

jwsknk:
Marshalltown and Cedar Rapids are the two I would lock up for sure if I didn’t put the bike in the tent at night. Someone on another thread about locking up suggested a gun lock if you really think you need one during the day, or handcuffs, I suppose fur lined so you don’t scratch the paint :-o

Another purpose for our handcuffs!!!! HooRay!! So inventive!! I can’t wait to tell the Little Stoker.

RIDE RIGHT

mentor58, April 26, 2012 at 10:14 am

Another good trick, if your riding with somebody else, just lock the bikes together, but facing opposite directions. Makes it almost impossible for somebody to ‘walk them off’.

I’m going to just toss what I call my ‘bike lasso’, it’s a long lightweight cable and a small padlock with me, just to keep the honest folks honest.

Steve

newbe, April 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

Thanks for the tips, and how ’bout a push up the hills……….

CyclingRoberto, April 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Ride a Jamis. 8)

Another easy way is to pop off the front wheel and leave it in your tent.

Michael Knapp, April 26, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I wouldn’t worry about locking your bike up along the route during the day. Put a lock on at night or chain multiple bikes together at night. Other then that enjoy the ride.

Browner, April 27, 2012 at 7:10 am

Sandaltan: Another purpose for our handcuffs!!!! HooRay!! So inventive!! I can’t wait to tell the Little Stoker.RIDE RIGHT

Nice ST… After seeing that thread about handcuffs awhile ago, I actually ordered a set of “Leg Irons” with about a 18″ chain. We ride several group rides and people like to try out your bike after a few beers. Locking all our bikes together discourages borrowing. One problem though, You would not believe how hard it is to find pink fur at a fabric store…

Sandaltan ., April 27, 2012 at 11:00 am

I used to have some pink underwear Browner, decades ago. Seems I was unsupervised for a BRIEF time and thought I would help out by doing the laundry. Who knew that if you washed a new red t-shirt with your other under garments that the red dye would run???? Nowhere was this covered in my years of schooling!!! Needless to say I am no longer allowed to sort, wash or dry any laundry. Banned from laundry room in disgrace….oh woe is me.

So………..maybe if ya wash whatever ya want to turn pink with a new red t-shirt you will achieve the desired effect. (Not a hint from Heloise)

RIDE RIGHT

Michael Knapp, April 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Pink! Did somebody say pink! We have just about everything pink on Team Flamingo! Though haven’t had Sandaltan’s laundry problems since we wear our kilts traditional. But then again I guess you could say our under wear is pink.

Michrider !!!, April 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm

BigBird:
Pink! Did somebody say pink!We have just about everything pink on Team Flamingo! Though haven’t had Sandaltan’s laundry problems since we wear our kilts traditional.But then again I guess you could say our under wear is pink.

TMI!!!!!

Ragbrai Nation, April 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm

newbe: Anyone know the best way to keep your bike safe? My first time and want to keep the bike safe.

“Is it safe?” The question asked in the an epic Dustin Hoffman movie. What was the movie title? 50 points.

rjjensenia, April 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Bacchettaman: “Is it safe?” The question asked in the an epic Dustin Hoffman movie. What was the movie title? 50 points.

Marathon Man

mentor58, April 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Bacchettaman: “Is it safe?” From my favorite Dustin Hoffman movie, The Marathon Man. Epic.

Probably the most effective torture scene ever done in a film. No blood, no violence, but oh so terrifying.

Steve

wrj, April 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Just this past week I was in the dentist’s chair having a tooth prepared for a crown, and all I could think was, “It’s safe!”

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI