Storm Lake no longer host town???

This is on RAGBRAI’s Facebook page today. The Sunday night town was Storm Lake.

Well RAGBRAI Nation, it’s 2020. So we won’t be announcing just one new overnight town for RAGBRAI XLVIII, we’ll be announcing two! Stay tuned, we’ll let you know about our new Sunday and Friday host towns in January.

13 Replies

Jeff Eckel, December 16, 2020 at 9:35 am

Argh, that was the town I was looking most forward to. My wife’s aunt lives there and her and her whole family were going to come up to see what RAGBRAI is all about.

hnschipper, December 16, 2020 at 9:36 am

My sister lives in Storm Lake, so I was looking forward to it too.

hnschipper, December 16, 2020 at 9:55 am

Sac City looks to be in the running as the replacement (this is from bikeiowa):

The Sac City Council is scheduled to meet tomorrow (Tuesday, December 15) evening for a special session to decide if the community will be an overnight stop on RAGBRAI’s 2021 route. Sac City was originally set to be a pass-through community on the 2020 route, but the traditional summer bike ride was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic. Organizers are planning on using basically the same route this summer, but the original Sunday, July 25 host community, Storm Lake, decided to remove their name from consideration. Administrator, Jamie Lawrence, says Sac City leaders were approached about taking Storm Lake’s spot, but the council still has some concerns about hosting.

These issues were discussed at length during the council’s Dec. 8 meeting, but officials wanted more time to gather additional information and consider their options. Lawrence says the council was in favor of being a pass-through location but being a host community offers more challenges.

As a host community, thousands of riders and their support teams will be spending that Sunday evening and the following Monday morning in town, which could prove to be a boon for the city and local businesses.

The council convenes at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the Sac City Municipal building to make their final determination on the issue. Due to the ongoing pandemic, citizens are encouraged to attend the meeting remotely via Zoom. The agenda along with details on how to access the proceedings can be found included below.

Ken Reed, December 16, 2020 at 2:38 pm

Sac City approved it 4-1.

Uncle Kraig, December 16, 2020 at 8:26 pm

Anybody hear why Storm Lake backed out? I too am disappointed. I really thought Storm Lake sounded like a great overnight town and I was able to book a room at Kings Pointe resort right next to all the entertainment, camping, etc. Oh well, next time I guess 🙂

This reply was modified 1 month ago by Uncle Kraig.

wrj, December 17, 2020 at 8:51 am

If Le Mars is the start town? that makes Sunday at least an 80 mile ride. Will Le Mars still be the start town? or is another town the start town?

This reply was modified 1 month ago by wrj.

This reply was modified 1 month ago by wrj.

Larry Klaaren, December 17, 2020 at 12:26 pm

If Le Mars is the start town? that makes Sunday at least an 80 mile ride. Will Le Mars still be the start town? or is another town the start town?

I think the gravel loop was also planned for that day. Could make it a near century or more.

mootsman, December 17, 2020 at 3:00 pm

I was checking the map and if Sac City won’t host it seems a new start town may be the next change. Since some other towns including pass throughs could opt out over COVID concerns there could be many route changes.

KALAPRESS VN, December 20, 2020 at 6:26 am

I like your’s post

Eric Strobel, December 20, 2020 at 3:44 pm

I personally don’t care what town is first or last I just pray we have a ride. 2020 was to be my first RAGBRAI and I hope I can say 2021 was my first.

This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Eric Strobel.

KenH, December 20, 2020 at 10:14 pm

One year I did the gravel loop twice to bring it to a century because I was driving the team vehicle on century day. So I am not opposed to an 80 mile first day even though I don’t expect to have a team vehicle to drive this year. It will be jumping right in the deep end for us all but we can handle that! I just hope we are not seeing the beginning of a cascade of towns dropping out. That would make rerouting the ride very difficult at this point. I hope the remaining towns will realize that they can trust RAGBRAI to do the right thing if conditions in 2021 end up making a second postponement necessary. And of course I also hope that the vaccination process will ramp up quickly enough to make that unnecessary.

Ken Reed, December 21, 2020 at 7:36 am

Sac City approved it by a 4-1 vote. From what I’ve heard from a friend of mine who’s from the area, they are very excited to host. The smaller the town, the better the party.

Larry Klaaren, December 21, 2020 at 9:17 am

I don’t care if we have a long day, it will just make the next day shorter and it averages out for the most part. I kind of hope the longer days end in a larger town, as I like to eat at sit down places with flush toilets in the evening, especially after a long day. Seems like I sometimes end up eating standing up, or without a table on some impromptu sitting place if we buy from the vendors in the host towns.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015