Summer Storm — August 10 2020

I was on a road trip yesterday to Des Moines to pick up a new(er) bicycle and ran smack-dab into one helluva storm.  Fortunately, I came through unscathed, although I guess I can’t say the same for the people around the Ames/Des Moines area.  Saw a lotta damage; downed trees, power poles, houses with trees on (and in) them, some missing bits of siding and parts of roofs, and at least ten semi-trucks tipped onto their sides in that one stretch of I-35 between Ames and Des Moines itself.

So how about all you people on the board here that live in or near that area?  Check in and let us know you’re OK!!
-“BB”-

5 Replies

T. Gap Woo, August 11, 2020 at 11:37 pm

Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Isaias did a number in my neck of the woods on 8/5. There was about 7” of rain, gusty winds and power outages, according to the news.

Mrs Woo and I were down south, visiting the Woo children and Grand-woos, so we missed all of the excitement……

….until Sunday morning 8/9! At 8:07, Daughter Woo #1’s house began to shake. There was a 5.1 magnitude earthquake along the NC/VA border, 110 miles north of her house and 50 miles west of Daughter Woo #3’s house. We were fortunate, as there were no injuries or damage in either house. At least the kitchen didn’t take a slitch and the house didn’t land on a witch in the middle of a ditch (not a happy sitch-uation for what was once the wicked witch).

Luckily, we had an uneventful ride home, notwithstanding the road crews cleaning up the mud from the underpass in downtown Staunton VA. All’s well that ends well, I suppose!

See you along the I-O-Way in 2021.

thangamalang, August 15, 2020 at 4:35 am

I went to help my son clean up his acreage NW of Marshalltown. What a mess. No one was hurt and no building damage due to the grove being far enough away and taking the hit I guess. Large mature trees snapped in half with branches everywhere. A large acreage but there was equipment to do the heavy work. The power was on Wednesday evening and off for a few hours Thursday. He had generators for fridges freezer and fans.

I saw several power company trucks heading south on my way down and two men from my town pulling large generators down. We were all fueling up at the last chance to do so.

I’ve never seen so much damage on such a large scale, can’t even describe it.

mootsman, August 15, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Pictures of the high trestle trail:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10220711653253856&set=pcb.10158039283273025&type=3&theater&ifg=1

This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

hnschipper, August 15, 2020 at 9:42 pm

My friend who loves in the Cedar Rapids area lost his house. Part of the roof of the school behind his house blew off and into his house. Another friend sustained minimal damage but still has no power.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015