Sunday's Gravel Loop

Anybody else going to complete the Gravel Loop on Sunday?? I will be bringing my hybrid bike also to complete the Loop. If anyone has some information about this Loop please share.

7 Replies

GORDON BROWN, March 6, 2017 at 6:12 am

Probably. I’m considering bringing my Salsa Warbird, it is very comfy, and if so she loves some grit, but then she’s dirty for the week cause “Ragbrai Fresh” is the state of affairs.

If I bring the road bike… prolly not, Sunday is too early for that.

KenH, March 6, 2017 at 10:32 am

All I can tell you from my desk in the Chicago area is that this year’s loop appears to be all gravel, unlike last year! It’s almost 20 miles and almost 700 feet of climb so it will be a bit hilly like last year’s. But there is also a nice paved road for the cheaters to take to the loop town to get their patches…. My assessment of the road surface is based on the aerial view on Google maps and it is not possible to say for certain from that that it is all gravel, just that it looks that way. Google had actually driven last years loop and had a street level view of the whole thing which was nice since you could take a virtual ride of that loop any time you wanted. They do not appear to have driven the gravel side roads of this part of Iowa yet so someone with local knowledge will have to tell the rest of us what Google maps does not.

Jeff Emery, March 6, 2017 at 11:36 am

KenH is correct. Nearly 100% gravel only exception is close to and in town. There is a paved road close for cheaters, but is heavily traveled by Semi trucks during the week, but on probably not so many on Sunday.

andytetmeyer, March 6, 2017 at 12:33 pm

I will be graveling, on the bike that I bring for the riding. Google shows the return stretch going straight up to the next town (hartley). Might just do it that way.

Randall Murphy, March 6, 2017 at 12:49 pm

I’ll probably ride it on my 23mm tire road bike. Did it last year and just didn’t ride any faster than I wanted to fall.

RustyC, March 7, 2017 at 3:08 pm

I plan to ride it on a Rivendell S.Hillborne. Last years Loop was rougher and hillier than in’15, but the bike handled all well.

Proteus Dan, March 7, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Of course. I grew up in Sutherland. Getting some people I know to get the beer ready. On 28 tires.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015