Join Us in July - Register Today!

Sunglass recommendations

I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with sunglasses for riding. For non-riding purposes I have Maui Jim’s that I’ve had for years and absolutely love. But for riding I need something that is really open or vented (I sweat and fog up most glasses constantly), and also has a typical earpiece arm to fit a LOOK mirror on.
The thing is I can’t see paying $100 for a pair of sunglasses that are made of plastic.
I don’t need prescription, so you’d think it’d be an easy find.
I don’t mind multi-lenses and the chromatic kind are okay, but aren’t dark enough when in a lot of situations for me.
So anyone have a pair/model they really like that meets my needs?

16 Replies

knees36, April 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’ve used the Bolle brand of sunglasses for many years, and have really liked the lenses that are polarized. Even the moderately tinted lens (as opposed to the darker lens) seems to be superior to me for protection, clarity and color representation, even when it comes to the brighter sun, especially when facing the early morning sunrise out on the road. I also use these for driving. I’ve had my present pair for a number of years now and couldn’t begin to tell you the particular model name of the Bolle, but using polarized lenses seems to be the key (at least to these old eyeballs.) Cheers.

P.S. Luckily I don’t need prescription lenses to drive (and of course, ride a bike) yet, so the polarized lenses have been a great answer for me. I’m hoping that I can go a few more years of driving without restrictions (lenses) before it’s time to hang up my keys. 8-O

P.S.~~~again. I do carry (and occasionally use) a pair of Smith sunglasses with very dark polarized lenses in my car during those snowy bright/sunshiny days while driving during our winters in Iowa. They seem to have what could be called the model “Undertow”??? on the long earpiece. They are very dark and do the trick with direct sunlight/bright conditions. Good luck. Knees.

giantron, April 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm

That’s great Knees, I too have been lucky so far in the “no corrective eyewear” category. I fully agree with polarized lenses, and the Maui Jim’s have a few layers of protection. I can look directly into a lake at high noon on a Sunny day and not squint and can even see quite deeply into the water. I really like these.
But unless the glasses are highly vented they fog up too much. So I need rather riding specific ones. I’ll take a look at Bolle. Thanks

“Bicycle Bill”, April 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I use Rx sunglasses myself. Nothing fancy; just a basic pair of frames with the darkest lenses I could get. They work well enough for me, although I do need to carry a clear pair in a glasses case with me for when I get off the bike and go indoors.

And I’ve been wearing glasses since I was in 4th grade, got into serious cycling in 1972 when I graduated HS, tried using just about every version of clip-ons known to man, and finally got myself Rx sunglasses in the late 1980s … and I could kick my own butt up to the corner and around the bend for having waited that long to do it.

Seriously, if you’re already wearing glasses, Rx sunglasses are the only way to go.

-“BB”-

Tony, April 18, 2012 at 1:00 pm

In the visor thread I recommended Liberty Sport frames. This company specializes in optical wear for various sports. They are very light weight and high impact nylon. On the Cycling pairs. The bows have a silicon pads that keep the glasses from sliding off from sweat. They are wrap around for full eye protection. You can buy this direct from the factory online. Or you could have an optometrist fix you up a pair with Transition and polarized lens.

I have the Liberty Sport Biker frames. This is a link to all there Cycling frames.

petra, April 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I have been using Rudy Project glasses with lenses that darken with sunlight. While I also have a yellow pair for pure gray days, the adjusting lenses really work great, especially if I start really early or ride into dusk.
I concur that eye protection is a must.
I also use Optix 20/20 hydrostatic reading lenses that I apply to the glasses to corect for my reading perscription. This way I can read maps and the cycle computer.

Michrider !!!, April 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I use a nice pair of grey sunglasses!!!

Michael Knapp, April 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I pick up a lot of inexpensive sunglasses that work as I’m forever losing them. Phrase common to my team is “Have you seen my (Big Bird’s) sunglasses.

Since I’ve started buying sunglasses with pink frames, I have lost fewer of them. It takes a guy whose secure in his masculinity however to wear pink sunglasses. Course if you’re sporting a pink beard and cycling jersey, pink sunglasses aren’t an issue.

RonB, April 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm

In the visor topic, someone mentioned safety glasses. I wear Uvex Genesis, have several pair, yellow thru dark brown. Less than $10 per pair and they fit well, don’t fog, and any old rag will clean ’em, without scratching. Maybe not as stylish as Oakley;, but then I’m not as stylish as a pro either!!!

Ragbrai Nation, April 25, 2012 at 8:34 am

RonB: In the visor topic, someone mentioned safety glasses. I wear Uvex Genesis, have several pair, yellow thru dark brown. Less than $10 per pair and they fit well, don’t fog, and any old rag will clean ‘em, without scratching. Maybe not as stylish as Oakley;, but then I’m not as stylish as a pro either!!!

Maybe not stylish but likely to shield against UV rays. Heads up and discard old sunglasses that do not do the aforementioned. Wearing sunglasses that do not shield against UV are VERY bad for the eyes… Worse than not wearing any sunglasses at all because they will trick your eye pupils into opening wider, allowing even more UV to enter the eye.

Iceman, April 25, 2012 at 9:28 am

I love my Oakleys. Had some “readers” inset into the lens to allow this old geezer to read his garmin.

Bear59, April 25, 2012 at 10:51 am

I have needed Rx for distance vision for a while (30 years) and have used the Bolle with the prescription insert for years now. I sweat so much that it starts dripping through the halo band I wear but the glasses stay unfogged. I found bikenashbar had them at a decent price. I think the model I have now is vigilante.

schultz6, April 25, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I use Liberty Sports “Chopper” edition, Rx, medium amber tint, polarized. Cuts glare, shields wind, lightweight, fits perfect on my melon.

Michrider !!!, April 25, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I have a blue pair and a black pair!!!!

giantron, April 25, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Mich; Are they both beer goggles?

Michrider !!!, April 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm

giantron:
Mich; Are they both beer goggles?

Nope, beer goggles are brown!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters