The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Support Maps – Why So Late Every Year?

Still no Support route maps…….I sure wish that they would get the Support route maps out earlier that they have historically done. I assume that they have the route planned far in advance of when they actually release (would assume they do in conjunction with the bike routes. For those of us that need to take this info. and determine how our bus gets from the route to our overnight stay locations and then maps our own maps for our driver takes time….and it would be nice to not have to squeeze it in every year. Anyone know why they wait so long to publish on the website

This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Mark Hartung.

6 Replies

Barry Schnoor, July 11, 2019 at 8:36 am

Mark, I’m waiting, too. Honestly, as long as I have it the day before we travel, I’m good. Like you, I’d *rather* have it earlier (Heck, I’ve been almost packed and ready to go for two weeks!), but, like much of RAGBRAI, “winging it” brings a certain charm to the whole experience…even if it’s maddening to OCD folks like me!

David, July 11, 2019 at 8:50 am

While I think that *most* of the map is done. There are probably always a few sections that are in question due to construction or things outside RAGBRAI control. Just approval from local jurisdictions can be slow even if it seems like there is only 1 possible choice they can make.

Michael Wesner, July 12, 2019 at 10:27 am

Even the main route maps seemed to be wrong for awhile and then updated within the last few days. I don’t understand linking to GPX files that are incorrect in the first place. Just causes confusion.

Mark Bundick, July 12, 2019 at 10:52 am

Thanks to the RAGBRAI staff for including exit numbers off the Interstate where relevant on this year’s maps. It makes navigating easier when I’m driving the support vehicle!

KenH, July 12, 2019 at 12:38 pm

The planning of the support driver maps depends on input from the towns and counties and the ISP just like everything else having to do with this event. The towns are scrambling to put their plans together and the decisions they make could impact the support route. Every day three towns have to set up their ride infrastructure so that support vehicles can in and out of town in a manner that is compatible with a good support vehicle route. That undoubtedly makes picking the route harder than it may seem and it makes finalizing the route early very difficult because all the support functions that we riders find more important need to be planned out first. Speaking as someone who designs things, but electronic devices not sporting events, the support vehicle route strikes me as one of those things that can be modified to make everything else work better and so it makes sense to me to leave it until the last minute so that the effects it has on all the more important things are fully understood. Sure, it would be nice to have the maps earlier but they only need to be out a day or two before people start traveling to Iowa so that everyone has a chance to download and print them out. Even that is icing, not cake, we could pick the maps up at the RAGBRAI booth when we arrive if uncontrolled last minute circumstances prevent them from being produced any earlier.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014