PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Tag-A-Long/Trail-A-Bike Recommendations?

My nephew is 6, almost 7. He can ride his bike pretty well. Every year, he watches his two uncles and his aunt go off and ride RAGBRAI and he would really like to go, too. Next summer he will be just a couple weeks shy of 8 years old at RAGBRAI time. I think he could be ready to ride some RAGBRAI miles next year on a tag-a-long or trail-a-bike, pulled by one of the three adults. I don’t think he would be ready to ride his own bike yet (his endurance just probably wouldn’t be there yet.) He maybe wouldn’t be able to do the whole day every day, but we usually have a support driver with us (my mom) and he could get off partway through the day. If you have used a tag-a-long or trail-a-bike before, what brand would you recommend? Ideally, we’re looking for something that is fairly lightweight, but durable/well-made, and easy to attach and detach. Thanks!

This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  hnschipper.

4 Replies

timf, June 18, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Do it. I have taken Grandkids on Ragbrai and across South Dakota.They ride when they want.If you have a support vehicle it will be fun. I use a hitch on my fat bike that can be removed so they can ride on their own when it is safe to do so.

SFC JKL 2, June 18, 2018 at 10:28 pm

I used to have a Trek Mountain Train. It had a 6 speed cassette that taught my son how to shift. It also had a better gear range so he could keep pedaling at cruising speed. The single speed bike tend to spin out at a slow speed, then the kid is just along for the ride.

Pete Tokheim, June 18, 2018 at 10:40 pm

I swear by the WeeHoo trailers. They are certainly adjustable up to 8-9 year olds. My 7 year old rides his own bike now but will still go on the WeeHoo for mountain biking and 40+ mile rides with me. The recumbant seat design is great for the kids to bike but also sit back and just enjoy the ride when they’re tired.

As with any trailer, make sure the kids wear safety glasses or sunglasses to protect their eyes.

hnschipper, September 6, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Follow up: I found a used WeeHoo trailer on Craig’s List, and bought the nephew bike shorts and a jersey for his birthday. We’ve taken our first ride, and he LOVES it! He keeps telling me we need to train for RAGBRAI. When we were on our first ride, he told me it was good I had him along because he pushed us up the hills. We made it 13.7 miles our first ride, which is 3 times longer than any ride he’d done before that. We’ll have to get in plenty of miles before next summer!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014