PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Team with bus, looking for

Team Defcon5 is a 3 generation small family team. We have a good time within the boundaries of having young teenagers. We are not teetotalers.

Our bus has a roof bike rack for about 16 bikes. The bus is considered to be an RV as it sleeps up to 10 (5 bunks are claimed). Preference for bunks is given to week-long riders. There is an on board microwave and coffee pot. Coolers are provided. There is a working shower with solar heated stored water and a restroom. NO poo on the bus! With electrical hookup or generator, we have AC and electronics charging.

Riders are provided a tote for personal items and a “carry on.” Plenty of storage is available for those who prefer camping. We are currently working on housing requests. Overnight hosts have been secured for Winterset and Indianola. If we are unable to secure a host, our support driver(s) will get us space in the campgrounds.

All riders meet where the bus is stored, on a farm just outside of Perry, IA on Saturday, July, 20th. Transportation is then provided from there to the start, along the route, and from the finish. There is plenty of space available to leave rider vehicles for the week. If you are a partial week rider, you are responsible to get to and from where the bus is located.

We will have a group text to communicate with our support people, to riders about the location of the bus, or for riders to communicate with the group for any needs. We are planning for the support team to be available at the meeting town if anyone needs to sag the rest of the ride or jump on to finish the day. When that window of time has passed, they will head to the next overnight location to get set up. Riders are responsible for setting up, tearing down, and packing up personal items.

Rider fees cover the costs of the bus, hosting fees, and snacks and beverages. We have a request system in place. If you forgot something or want to request snacks or beverages, let us know and our support team will have those things available to you, when you arrive at the next overnight. Riders are responsible for daily meals. Breakfast items will be available before you disembark (bananas, OJ, milk, etc.)

If you are looking for support, please respond to this post or email us at TeamDefcon5@gmail.com.

10 Replies

RICK Lund, May 18, 2019 at 11:49 am

I am a first timer — Lutheran pastor from Wisconsin. (I’m still a fun guy!)

Love teens, too. My sons are 25 and 27, but I’m around young people on the job.

Rick

Wendy Albrecht, May 18, 2019 at 12:19 pm

Hi Rick! How exciting that you are a first time Ragbrai rider! You are going to have a great time meeting people from all walks of life and from across the globe.

Email us at the team email. We can talk more via email or by phone. I am happy to answer any questions.

Wendy

RICK Lund, May 18, 2019 at 12:37 pm

Fantastic! I am finishing up a contract in NOLA in 30 days, then heading home to Chippewa Falls, WI. My “plan” was to have my wife drop me off at the starting point and pick me up at the end. Some plan! Anyway, I’ve been training hard down here so I don’t think I’ll embarrass myself or anyone else, but I really have no other thoughts about it since being notified of the successful lottery. Anyway. I know it would be a lot more fun with a group so you folks might be it. How should we proceed? Would you like my cell?

Carol Godsey, May 23, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Would love more information if you still have room for two riders.

Wendy Albrecht, May 23, 2019 at 5:12 pm

Hi Carol! We do have available space. Email us at TeamDefcon5@gmail.com with your contact information. I’ll give you a call when it is convenient for you. I’d love to talk more and answer any questions that you have. Thanks!

Amanda Pollock, May 24, 2019 at 4:07 am

Do you have room for one more full week rider??

Wendy Albrecht, May 25, 2019 at 9:54 am

Hi Amanda! Yes, we still have room. Email TeamDefcon5@gmail.com with your contact information. Let me know when is a good time to call. I look forward to talking with you.

Amanda Pollock, May 25, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Awesome! I’d like to snag that spot! I’ll email my info to that address and I’m available anytime this weekend to talk- I’m from Colorado.

Joe Chavis, May 27, 2019 at 4:36 pm

This sounds great. Too bad so sad, that I am already traveling in my ole ‘hope we make it’ van from North Carolina. Ima keep you in mind for future RAGBRAI treks.

Be Fun Have Safe

Wendy Albrecht, June 17, 2019 at 6:37 pm

We still have room for riders who don’t mind tent camping, week long or daily riders. Email TeamDefcon5@gmail.com if you have questions or are interested. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014