Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

Tent Fan and Chairs

Sorry if this is already in the forum but without a search option I can’t tell. For first timers we have tent and sleeping figured out. How important do you find a camp stool or chair? Is it worth hauling a small light weigh one or do you just fall into your bed at night? Also, how about a fan in the tent? I found a 12oz one that is USB rechargable and charges my phone. I can deal with wind in the day but stagnent nights is what I fear. I need my sleep.

6 Replies

klkoopman, June 24, 2022 at 7:00 pm

I think a fan is a necessity. At least “some” moving air on a hot night greatly improves your sleep. The new USB rechargable fans often include lamps and device chargers, so you’re killing 3 birds with one stone. Chairs are iffier, do not bring one if using a charter as they will provide. Your own chair is great for socializing and changing shoes, but people will pull their air mattress out of the tent and sit or lay on that. Light, backpacking type chairs can be pricey but a nice luxury

This reply was modified 5 months ago by klkoopman.

Joseph Schlau, June 25, 2022 at 12:25 pm

I use a Tripole fan from Amazon. USB plug in, 3 speeds, base can be used on floor or inverted and hung from the gear loft inside the tent. Very low on power consumption. Works well.

For seating I use a Coleman stadium seat. The kind that folds in 2 and rolls up. I use it to sit on the ground or inside a tent for back support. If crawling out of a small tent, it gives me a safe spot to kneel and stand without risking contacting a stone, stick or glass. Also good to kneel on when placing or removing tent stakes.

My air mattress stays in the tent. Don’t want to risk a puncture by using it on bare ground.

Nico ZZZ, June 29, 2022 at 6:46 pm

I use a charter with plenty of chairs, but it is nice to get to your tent after a day of riding and sit in your own chair at your tent to get your shoes and socks off and have a cold beverage. I bring my small foldable chair with back – not a stool – into the tent at night, and use it in the morning to get ready – better than putting on socks and shoes sitting on an air mattress or the ground. I bought mine on Amazon for about $60.

This reply was modified 5 months ago by Nico ZZZ.

Sandaltan ., June 29, 2022 at 9:19 pm

The tent fan is a must along with sleep mask and ear plugs. Small flashlight or pinch light too, very dark in those Kybos.

RIDE RIGHT

Chris, June 30, 2022 at 11:13 am

Welcome to the Zoo, Nia!

Fans: we’ve destroyed more than a few over the years. Like, 4 or 5 of them. Yes, on a really sticky night, they are a godsend. We’ve had very good luck with the Ryobi ONE+ 18V Cordless 4 in. Clamp Fan. They’re something like 60 bucks with a charger and battery at Home Depot. What we really liked about it is that it was easy to clamp/rope to anything in the tent, and the battery lasted quite a few nights. It’s a quasi-rugged fan, so if you toss it in your bag and don’t really care about it, it survives just fine (unlike a Coleman and a O2Cool, which we ended up crazy-gluing and duct-taping back together. Yeah, trying to crazy glue a fan together after riding, in the middle of a campground, and not glue your @)#$)@)$ fingers together. Fun, that).

Chairs: we have a pair of aforementioned expensive backpacking chairs. The upside is that it’s a buy-once and cry-once price tag, but they hold up. There are any number of them on the market.

Sandaltan, as always, brought up a good point: earplugs are a great idea, as the snoring in camp can approach a chainsaw expo’s loudness. Buy a 15-dollar headlamp for the kybos; you don’t need anything fancy or rechargeable. Kybos are very dark at night, and hands-free is a great, great thing in there…and helps you not trip on the tent guylines as you walk back to your tent, too.

See you in July.
-Chris

Nico ZZZ, June 30, 2022 at 12:26 pm

Yes to fans and earplugs ( some nights the campground is a 63 piece “orchestra” of snoring, gas and CPAP machines). Headlamp is the way to go as well. And for those tent stake encounters, toed sandals or crocs are a great way to protect the toes. Also, that nighttime and early morning grass is cold with condensation, so covered toes is a good plan.
Enjoy the journey!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI