RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Tent Recommendations

Need a new tent for the ride. Looking for good ventilation,waterproof, 2-3 man. Any recommendations?

44 Replies

Michrider !!!, May 2, 2012 at 5:05 am

Mike Bertrand:
Has anybody have any experience with Cabelas tent cot. Looks like a neat idea

I’ve seen a few of them on RAGBRAI. That’s all I know, LOL!!!!

Iceman, May 2, 2012 at 6:40 am

Mike Bertrand:

Nice to sleep in but bulky to transport.

pmac, May 2, 2012 at 7:04 am

I thought the PBV tents were pretty good so long as you had a good tent fan, which I think is a very critical piece of ragbrai gear. Just keep in mind its called tent city, with the tents pretty close to each other. I’m with Tony on the O2 Cool fans. I used the 10″ model with a separate battery pack. It was pretty heavy, but I wasn’t carrying it, since i used the PBV tent service. Just make sure you have a good way to pack your fan since the bags really get tossed around. If you’re using your own tent, speed/ease of setup/breakdown is critical. For a cot I used a luxurylite cot – about 2lbs, with a thermarest on top and slept great.

mootsman, May 2, 2012 at 7:43 am

Mike Bertrand: Has anybody have any experience with Cabelas tent cot. Looks like a neat idea

I tried a cot once on Ride the Rockies and it was not good. The material started sagging after a few hours and was a killer on my back. A nice air mattress works much better. The kind with a rechargable air pump.

recursive_jones, May 2, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Mike Bertrand:

I’ve not used the Cabelas, but I own and use the original KampRite Tentcot, and have spent about 200 nights in mine. It is what I use when I’m car-camping, because otherwise the thing is big and heavy around 30-40lbs and 2.4’x2.4’x12″ folded up. It does set up and take down very quickly. Use of the rain fly in all conditions is recommended. Snug but comfy, I use an additional self-inflating sleeping pad with mine. I weigh 190lbs at 5’10” for reference.

I could see using it on Ragbrai if it is being loaded in a team support vehicle with ample room. Would be a major pain to haul on a bike trailer though.

David Elkow, May 2, 2012 at 8:22 pm

For my Eureka Sunrise 8 I generally do not use the extra guy lines unless I know it is going to storm. The tent is pretty stout without them. Haven’t tried putting my bike in the tent. I see another post here saying they park their bike in their Sunrise 9.

sorbut, May 3, 2012 at 11:48 am

Not sure where you’re located, but a trip to Gander Mountain, Gabella’s, REI, or any number of camping supply stores would be a good start. I like to see what I’m buying, but checking online would give you more possibilities than you could imagine.

Iceman, May 3, 2012 at 3:01 pm

mootsman: I tried a cot once on Ride the Rockies and it was not good. The material started sagging after a few hours and was a killer on my back. A nice air mattress works much better. The kind with a rechargable air pump.

Nope – no built in pump. I’ve had three and they all leaked air through the pump.

Michrider !!!, May 3, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I have a nice green tent and a larger blue tent!!! My air mattress is also blue, Go figure!!!

Sandaltan ., May 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm

The one time we borrowed an air mattress with a built in pump it went flat after about three hours. Our guest spent the night on the couch as he was kind enough not to run the pump and wake the other sleepers up.

RIDE RIGHT

Randy, May 4, 2012 at 7:48 am

Very sadly I can not make this years ride, I’m selling (2) week long rider passes and a vehicle/driver pass (I’ve been selected but passes have not been mailed to me yet))along with a Campright SUV Tent model 110910 which will attach to your car/van/SUV with an additional enclosed shower unit which will set up within the tent itself for additional showering privacy. Tent will sleep up to 5 people all brand new and never used, a very slick system. Package deal all for $550 includes shipping to your location. First $550 get it all, trust me it is a steal tent and shower tent unit alone is worth almost $400. Google “CampRight SUV Tent Model 110910” to view on-line pictures.
Randy – (813) 994 9912 after 6PM EST (Tampa, Florida Area)

Iceman, May 4, 2012 at 8:15 am

pmac: I thought the PBV tents were pretty good so long as you had a good tent fan, which I think is a very critical piece of ragbrai gear. Just keep in mind its called tent city, with the tents pretty close to each other. I’m with Tony on the O2 Cool fans. I used the 10″ model with a separate battery pack. It was pretty heavy, but I wasn’t carrying it, since i used the PBV tent service. Just make sure you have a good way to pack your fan since the bags really get tossed around. If you’re using your own tent, speed/ease of setup/breakdown is critical. For a cot I used a luxurylite cot – about 2lbs, with a thermarest on top and slept great.

I have used both the 10″ and the 5″ O2 fans and the 5″ does fine and is easier to pack. As to packing it, I use a small tupperwear-like box (if you use a rigid plastic box, the box will break). When I use the 10″ fan, I use an actual tupperwear “flat sheet cake” box. That pliable tupperwear material won’t break. You can find them at any WalMart or Target.

And you are correct – your fan is about as important a piece of equipment as any you will take to Iowa.

David Elkow, May 4, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Great idea on the tupperware boxes. I need to find one that will fit my mattress pump also. I’ve had a couple of those destroyed in years past.

Tony, May 5, 2012 at 5:57 am

I use Lock n Lock plastic storage containers. They have a waterproof seal. They work great. Uou can get them at Hy Vee or online at many sites. Just Google it.

Lock n Lock

Viewing 14 replies - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI