the Logo has landed

full page spread in the Des Moines Register 10/20. IOWA in stars above the logo XLVI RAGBRAI, a bald eagle head with wings made from bike chains holding an Iowa banner. Then the ad says Introducing the RAGBRAI XLVI logo. The Eagle has landed. so take whatever clues you can get from that.

18 Replies

Ken Reed, October 20, 2017 at 8:29 am

The eagle has to be a big clue…no idea what for though.

jwsknk, October 20, 2017 at 8:40 am

Eagle Grove is too specific to one town. maybe it The Eagle has landed part. ISU has a astronaut in the Aero E department, Rockwell Collins in Ceadr Rapids made a lot of radio and tracking equipment for NASA.

jwsknk, October 20, 2017 at 8:46 am

https://ragbrai.com/shop/

Ken Reed, October 20, 2017 at 9:14 am

Yeah, Eagle Grove is a little too on the nose. Plus, that’s more north than I would think they’d be wanting to go. You may be on to something with the ISU/astronaut thing.

Bernard Schwartze, October 20, 2017 at 9:16 am

I don’t know the route, but I’m now convinced it is ending in Clinton.

http://qctimes.com/news/hometowns/clinton-to-honor-locals-in-the-space-program/article_06a691da-27f3-5cf0-b6b9-565849932bfe.html

Ken Reed, October 20, 2017 at 9:43 am

Well, well, well…I’m convinced it’s ending there too.

KenH, October 20, 2017 at 10:04 am

“The Apollo 11 landing on the moon marked a truly incredible American achievement, and this coin will commemorate the sacrifices and ingenuity of those who worked on the Apollo missions and put our country on the moon nearly 50 years ago. Further, there is a strong connection between Iowa’s First District and the Apollo missions through Cedar Rapids-based Rockwell Collins — in fact, astronaut Neil Armstrong broadcast his famous ‘That’s one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind,’ statement using a Collins radio. I am proud to support this bipartisan legislation,” said Representative Rod Blum (IA-01).

You can find that quote here. Cedar Rapids has been featured often during my brief association with RAGBRAI. On the one hand maybe some other town deserves a chance, on the other CR has always done a good job for us. It is a little odd to see a tie in to the first moon landing in its 49th anniversary year but maybe they already know they have other plans for 2019….

Oh, and my first RAGBRAI was XL. We joined the fun mid week in Marshalltown, Cedar Rapids was one of the overnight towns and Clinton was the end town….

This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by KenH.

Mike Howe, October 20, 2017 at 10:21 am

I think it has something to do with the astronauts. The facebook page released the logo today and their post said “We Landed on this logo as a tribute to the flag of our favorite state, and the many bald eagles that live along our rivers”…. key words there are “landed” and “tribute”. Also the video they posted begins with a dark sky with a bunch of stars (Space) with the Iowa and American flag waving. Same sort of thing in some of the other pictures of the logo I’ve seen…its has the logo with stars/space in the background.

One of the comments on the facebook page pointed out the ride could be ending at Eagle Point in Dubuque.

Mike Howe, October 20, 2017 at 10:44 am

To go with the astronaut thing here are the ones from Iowa and the towns their from… I put a ** next to the towns that would make sense if they where on the route. Obviously Clinton and Burlington would be end towns so only one of them could be on the route. But Jefferson, Ames, Clinton are pretty much straight across the state? Just a thought….

** Ames: Laurel ClarkSymbol
** Burlington: James M. Kelly
Charles City: George Nelson
** Clinton: David C. Hilmers
Creston: Walter Cunningham
** Jefferson: Loren Shriver
Mount Ayr: Peggy Whitson

KenH, October 20, 2017 at 1:07 pm

I remember last year however. All the Twain cameos in the pre-ride videos. Steamboat references galore. And none of it related to the route as far as I could tell. Yeah, at the announcement party TJ did say the steamboat in the logo sure looked a lot like the replica operating in a lake a long the route, didn’t it? Well, no, it didn’t really and in fact it looked a LOT MORE LIKE a steamboat that operates out of a town that was not on the route! In the short time I’ve been associated with this ride the Mother Of All Logo Hints was the “1973” in the logo a few years back. None since then have been nearly as direct, if in fact there were any at all.

So, the space eagle references could be hints. Or TJ could just be playing us all like a fiddle. It is relatively easy to spin out a pile of “hints” that misdirect us after the fact based on a graphic design chosen for aesthetic and cultural purposes alone. It is a lot harder to embed a hint direct enough to be a hint in a logo design that at the same time is subtle enough to avoid giving the whole thing away. The “1973” really did give that route away (in broad strokes, not the details) and having gotten lucky that year I wonder if they will tread the line so closely again any time in the future?

But I haven’t gotten anything better to go on at the moment, unless someone can tell us where Hairball is booked late next July!

I am already rather fond of the logo, however closely it relates to the route.

Ken Reed, October 20, 2017 at 2:06 pm

The steamboat on last year’s logo, I believe, was a hint. The Lake Of the Lake steamboat in Clear Lake resembles the steamboat on the logo.

cyduke, October 20, 2017 at 2:35 pm

As a kid I was fascinated with the space program after doing a school project in the 5th grade. Collected astronaut autographs including all 12 who landed on the moon, and have had the fortune to meet a few of them as well. A few years ago on RAGBRAI, I think it was 2012, we got bottlenecked through a town so we were walking our bikes through, I noticed the guy ahead of me had a license plate that read “Loren Shriver” from somewhere in Texas. I asked if he was the Astronaut and he of course said yes. My response was simply “cool!”.

igor, October 20, 2017 at 3:11 pm

The top of the eagle’s wings is about smack dab in the middle of the logo so I say that is a sure sign for a central route this year. I like the logo! 274 days until we ride.

KenH, October 23, 2017 at 8:31 am

I guess boredom is the enemy of common sense so I will offer another potential clue. Stars have been featured in the logos since 2014. From those still available fromn the online RAGBRAI shop they seem uncommon before then. They seem to just be design elements most years. In 2015 however the route went through Iowa City past the old capitol and that year’s logo has two stars flanking the Roman numeral ride number but also a single star on the tractor which also has the 1973 “license plate”. That may have been a clue to the Iowa City visit. This year there are two stars twice. Again there are two flanking the ride number but also two flanking “Iowa”.

It might be a little soon to visit Iowa City again although it is a bit long since we have been in Des Moines. Potentially, we will ride past both state capitols this year.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015