RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party set for Friday, January 28! Get your tickets

The ROUTE!

Glenwood to Shenadoah to Creston, Leon, Centerville, Ottumwa, Washington and Muscatine.

12 Replies

garider, January 23, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Karras Loop day???? Did they say?

Csprint, January 23, 2016 at 10:55 pm

The one town I guessed that I thought would be way off I got right (Muscatine)! But I was off, except for Ottumwa, on every other one!

KenH, January 23, 2016 at 11:02 pm

They did not say while I was watching or in the written summary they have posted. In the brief time I have done RAGBRAI the Karras loop has been early in the week on a day when the straight through mileage is in the 70’s or 80’s. This year that would be Monday at 75 miles. There are only two other days with more than 60 miles and they are Wednesday and Friday. So I think it will be Monday. Monday’s 75 miles already have about 4000 feet of climbing….

The pass through towns may be a different story but from what we know so far I have never been to any of the towns on this year’s route so I am excited about it, especially about visiting Ottumwa!

Jason Stoller, January 24, 2016 at 12:14 am

My wife just told me that all her family reunions have been in Ottumwa. Tomorrow she is going to call her parents who now live in another state and find out if they have any relatives left in that area.

John, January 24, 2016 at 12:47 am

Congrats to Glenwood and Shenandoah. I log a ton of miles every year between here and these towns and I’m really looking forward to seeing the actual routes published…

John, January 24, 2016 at 1:31 am

I gotta admit, I figured a south route would revolve around IA-92, but this year’s route doesn’t seem to come anywhere near that far north until that last day.

Obviously this link is not the actual route, but until we know more I find it interesting that the big G’s bike directions (change from car to bike directions, under the elipsis “…” button) between the eight towns has it at 336 miles, vs. the 419.9 TJ talked about tonight.

IIRC, it’s 275 miles — border to border — straight across the state via IA-92.

John, January 24, 2016 at 1:45 am

It’s like I’m talking to myself in here… LOL

I got the annual PBV invite email just now, and it mentions the gravel loop will be on Sunday (great roads for this in the area) and the Karras loop will be on Wednesday.

“Bicycle Bill”, January 24, 2016 at 3:12 am

I’m suspecting that if one wanted to go off-route on the first day (but not onto “gravel”) there will be someplace where you can pick up the Wabash Trace Trail and take that into Shenandoah.  I know if I were riding I would seriously consider this as my “Plan B” — depending of course on the weather and what I’d be missing by cutting away from the “official” route.

-“BB”-

John, January 24, 2016 at 12:04 pm

My guess is that TJ and company will actively discourage riders from using the Wabash Trace on Sunday. I know he did last year when part of the route between Cedar Falls and Cedar Rapids coincided with the Cedar Valley Nature Trail.*

Primarily due to narrow trail width (originally built for the width of one train) combined with large numbers of riders which makes emergency service vehicle access difficult and can add a lot of time to EMT response.

Also, there are entire sections where trailhead access from roads is limited, even from Level B maintenance roads, so getting EMTs to the correct trailhead can add significantly to response times. This is especially true for the miles into and out of Imogene and south where the crushed limestone gives way to class 5 gravel.

If they are doing a Gravel Loop in Mills/Fremont/Page counties this year, I’d bet money it’ll be on regular gravel roads.

<color=gray>* Full disclosure: I was part of a very large group that took the RRVT into Des Moines back in 2013.</color>

KenH, January 24, 2016 at 1:20 pm

“I got the annual PBV invite email just now, and it mentions the gravel loop will be on Sunday (great roads for this in the area) and the Karras loop will be on Wednesday.”

Speaking as someone who has to work hard to find anything resembling hills to train on I could not be happier to be wrong about the Karras loop being on Monday. Oh, wait, yes I can be happier: the gravel loop will be back!!

igor, January 24, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I would have thought for sure the Karras Loop would have been Monday too just based on the roughly 75 mile distance on the day. Wednesday is fine by me though. Looking forward to seeing southern Iowa. I better ride some hills to get ready.

Sandaltan ., January 24, 2016 at 3:59 pm

There are goathead thorns on the south part of the Wabash Trace so don’t venture off into the grass, those thorns are the reason we don’t start in Sydney. Also, the trail is not paved and will really become soft with a lot of bike traffic.

RIDE RIGHT and I agree with what John has said about the trail.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI