The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

The Route's Out, What Do You Think?

I love it! Evidently the new twist was to follow a suggestion that many of us have made for years. Put an overnight town on the Mississippi. Burlington to Keokuk. Brilliant!!

54 Replies

jpclark7, January 26, 2019 at 10:00 pm

I like it! Ken, you better do it on your Trek920!

David Mackinnon, January 26, 2019 at 10:06 pm

I’m unbelievably excited. My son just opened the only craft beer bar in Indianola and it’s an overnight town with only 39 miles from Winterset. I guess I will get up really early and get to Indianola and start helping to serving beer when the hoards arrive!!

Jboz, January 26, 2019 at 10:08 pm

2 different Mississippi River towns…that will be cool. Will be different to have a Mississippi River town as an overnight town instead of just dip, pack and go. Love this route!

mcdermott1, January 26, 2019 at 10:16 pm

Great job to TJ and his team on a fantastic route for 2019. I loved the twist on the ending river town. Thanks go out to TJ and his staff for all the hard work and endless hours of work you put in to make Ragbrai such a fantastic event. You guys are the best !!

Kelli Libby, January 26, 2019 at 10:18 pm

I love leaving from Council Bluffs!!!! The hills await our return. Lost and Found Adventures Charter has the motel reserved and we are currently looking into the busses for the ride home. The website will be up on Feb 2. Come check it out!

T. Gap Woo, January 26, 2019 at 11:31 pm

I love this route!

The Council Bluffs metro area is a great place — lots to see and do before the ride starts and plenty of Iowa pork and corn to eat. Right across the river is Omaha, with its great steakhouses and restaurant district. Ahhhh! A gastronomical delight! I look forward to returning.

I’ve never been to Atlantic or Indianola, but am anxious to learn more about them.

Winterset is another lovely town. After Ragbrai ended in 2013, Mrs Woo and I headed west to Denver for Daughter Woo’s wedding and spent the day touring Madison County. The downtown square was loaded with shops and eateries. Of course, we saw all of the covered bridges and found the Covered Bridge Winery. The Duke’s museum wasn’t built then, or we would have visited it too. I can’t wait to go back there in July.

I missed Centerville in 2016. That’s the July when I was taping my episode of Wheel of Fortune in California and just couldn’t make the logistics come together.

Fairfield was a typical Iowa county seat that exuded small-town Iowa charm. It will be great to return!

I’ve never been to Burlington, but its Snake Alley reputation precedes it. I look forward to that challenge.

The Harpers Ferry to Lansing ride two years ago was a nice “tease” along the river and spurred the outcry for another day’s tour along the river, I’m sure. The merchants probably appreciate the economic boost of being an overnight town as much as we’ll appreciate the scenery. Thanks, TJ, for throwing us this curveball and giving us the Burlington to Keokuk ride.

This route promises to be another scenic ride, so I’ll be sure to bring my camera again.

Now I need to consult my AAA travel books and the Travel Iowa literature to explore the other overnight towns and the pass-through towns when they are revealed.

BTW, my new crystal seems to be a keeper. After going 0-fer the last five rides, I managed to get 3 right! Hooray!

Finally, congrats to the DMR technical staff. The live feed on the Ragbrai website worked flawlessly.

See you along the I-O-Way in 174 more days.

Melinda Blankenhorn, January 26, 2019 at 11:56 pm

Love it! Wondering how the climbs compare to the past two years. My first year was 2017 and those last two days….ugh. I’ve lost weight and trained a lot since then, so I’ll be ready. Just wondering! Be looking for “Team Goat” again this year! A small group of 57-year-old women that are long time friends from Oskaloosa High School! We come from Georgia, Tennessee, Colorado, Indiana and Iowa to ride with stuffed goats on our heads.

faykilburg, January 27, 2019 at 5:20 am

It will be a beautiful ride down the Mississippi River. Great idea!

DCulver, January 27, 2019 at 5:24 am

The double day finish along the Mississippi River will be a winner!! Great new twist.

Micky Sax, January 27, 2019 at 7:11 am

Best part about this route…it doesn’t pass through Representative Steve King’s district! THANKS TJ!

T. Gap Woo, January 27, 2019 at 8:19 am

Best part about this route…it doesn’t pass through Representative Steve King’s district! THANKS TJ!

Micky,

Let’s keep Ragbrai a politics-free zone!

As Daddy Woo taught me, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything!” So, it’ll be a nice ride if it doesn’t rain.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Micky Sax, January 27, 2019 at 8:41 am

That’s fair, TGap. You’re right. RAGBRAI is emblematic of our state and is a pure distillation of Iowa being welcoming and open. Any route, north south east or west, would represent the best of our state, no doubt.

Joseph Schlau, January 27, 2019 at 8:59 am

Interesting idea, but some may choose to opt out at Burlington having completed the river to river ride and pass on Keokuk.

Aaron Norgrant, January 27, 2019 at 9:29 am

David,

What is your son’s bars name? My family and I will be moving to Indianola in the next three weeks and are super excited about it. I know, crazy for moving to Iowa, the winters can be brutal haha. But I was born and raised in Iowa, joined the military 20 years ago, and am now retiring and wanted to go back home, well within two hours of home. Not sure if i’ll be able to ride this year due to a new job, but, my riding group/buddies will be all over our house/backyard!!!

Aaron

reedkennethia, January 27, 2019 at 10:04 am

What a fantastic route. I can see Marne being a pass through on Sunday and Cumming being a pass through on Tuesday. Two towns on the Mississippi is genius.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014