The Route's Out, What Do You Think?

I love it! Evidently the new twist was to follow a suggestion that many of us have made for years. Put an overnight town on the Mississippi. Burlington to Keokuk. Brilliant!!

54 Replies

LawnchairMan, January 27, 2019 at 11:04 am

Micky,
I understand the desire to avoid politics at Ragbrai, but I share your view completely!

LawnchairMan, January 27, 2019 at 11:07 am

I am proud to have guessed Atlantic and Keokuk this year. That’s two more than I’ve ever guessed correctly. Looks like a fun route.

David Mackinnon, January 27, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Andy Mackinnon is my son’s name and he is the front-of-the-house manager and knows more about craft beer than anyone I know. His wife is from Indianola. As I enter my retirement year(s), we are exploring moving to the area as well so that I can work for him at the Groggy Dog.

jkfloy@gmail.com, January 27, 2019 at 3:01 pm

But the whole ride is in Joni Ernst land.

KenH, January 27, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Two of my guesses were Winterset and Fairfield so I got very excited when they pulled those two out first last night! My luck ended there but still I think that 2 out of 8 is still a personal record for me. Of the 8 I have previously been in Council Bluffs, Centerville, and Fairfield. Three of my favorite RAGBRAI overnight towns! I look forward to making the acquaintance of the other five. I like and have been advocating for the two towns on the River notion so it surprises no one who has made note of that when I say I like this route. Giving Burlington the chance to be an overnight town and a better shot at reaping economic benefits from is us great. The ride along the river should be great. The views are subject to how they route us but surely there will be a few fine ones. I’ve wanted to visit Keokuk ever since I started doing this so I am glad to have the chance this year. Hopefully this route feature will be a big hit with the riders and towns alike and someday in the not so distant future Keokuk and Burlington will get a chance to exchange places so that we have a better chance to appreciate Keokuk.

This was the first year when I had absolutely zero issues with the live stream of the announcement. If that was just dumb luck then I feel grateful for having it. If that was due to improvements the RAGBRAI team put in place then kudos to you for that and I am grateful for your efforts!

None of us knows what the future holds but jpclark7 if God allows I will indeed be riding the new Trek through Iowa come July! It promises to be an epic ride.

As usual!!

T. Gap Woo, January 27, 2019 at 3:28 pm

But the whole ride is in Joni Ernst land.

jkfloy,

Please see my earlier post replying to Micky. Let’s not pollute the pristine environment of Ragbrai with the stench of political BS. The stink of feedlots on a hot summer day is bad enough.

This is my final word on the issue, as I shall not wrestle with this political pig!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Jboz, January 27, 2019 at 5:15 pm

The more I look at this route, the more I like it. It’s solid and interesting from start to finish.

Start: Council Bluffs makes it very easy for non-Iowans who need to fly in. Amtrak into Omaha is also an option. And plenty of hotel options. For those who want to dip on both ends of the trip, you don’t have to ride 30 miles round trip to do so.

Middle: I personally like having 2 consecutive nights that are in relatively close proximity to Des Moines. Opens up a few possibilities. All the towns are great choices.

Finish: Keokuk seems like it’s long overdue, and I’ve never personally been there. Should be a fun finishing ride along the river. Easy to cross over into Missouri and Illinois just for grins, and make it a 3 state ride. Heck, you could hit Nebraska at the start and make it a 4 state RAGBRAI. Maybe I will do that 🙂

Other thoughts: It did cross my mind that quite a few might treat Burlington like the end town, call it good on Friday and head home. Of course this can happen on any year and at any point, but I wonder if the fact that Burlington is on the Mississippi River and there are plenty of unofficial dip sites, there might be much bigger than usual number of riders who consider their “ride across Iowa” complete. Really not a big deal, and fewer bikes on Day 7 isn’t a terrible thing, but it could feel a little anti-climactic.

Sandaltan ., January 27, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Reedkennethia, if we travel through Marne the volunteer fire department will treat us as royalty. And the Cumming Tap will sell out of t-shirts and coozies should we pass that little watering hole.

RIDE RIGHT

LawnchairMan, January 27, 2019 at 5:43 pm

I don’t know about others, but I wouldn’t consider dropping out at Burlington. Usually near the end of the week I am saddened that our fun is almost over. On the seventh day I wish it were a ten day event.

Sandaltan ., January 27, 2019 at 5:53 pm

The Little Stoker sez there will be a big hill into Keokuk and you will earn the finish.

RIDE RIGHT (The Little Stoker is seldom wrong about directions, hills, food or beverage.)

Ken Reed, January 27, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Marne is in RAGBRAI folklore due to what happened on the 2001 ride. Giving them the opportunity to be an official pass-through town would bring things full circle for them.

hatchdc, January 27, 2019 at 7:53 pm

I was born in Burlingtion and actually lived there for a while. I can’t wait to spend the night, dip the tire and ride on. For me this is a stop motion view of history.

mootsman, January 27, 2019 at 8:17 pm

I don’t know about others, but I wouldn’t consider dropping out at Burlington. Usually near the end of the week I am saddened that our fun is almost over. On the seventh day I wish it were a ten day event.

LCM & Joseph,

I’m thinking about leaving from Burlington. The crowding in Keokuk may make it a bit much and there will be 1-way car rentals from Burlington. Coming from the west I could take PBV’s Des Moines shuttle saving a few hours on the road on the front end. And getting out of town when your one of the few leaving, much easier.

This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by mootsman.

This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by mootsman.

pugdesigns, January 27, 2019 at 8:39 pm

I love it. I have a daughter and grands in Omaha, so starting from Council Bluffs will be great. I was born in Keokuk and grew up in Burlington, went to high school in Illinois right across the river from Keokuk, so I have a lot of roots in that area. Burlington will be so great! Heck, the whole route will be great. Cannot wait!

Jason Stoller, January 27, 2019 at 10:33 pm

Great job on selecting the route this year. It will be both challenging and interesting as well.

Jason

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015