The Route's Out, What Do You Think?

I love it! Evidently the new twist was to follow a suggestion that many of us have made for years. Put an overnight town on the Mississippi. Burlington to Keokuk. Brilliant!!

54 Replies

Amanda, January 30, 2019 at 4:00 pm

I think the route will be awesome! I haven’t been to Winterset or Keokuk so I can check them both off my list! Now, next year, if we start in Hawarden, my list will be complete. 🙂

Uncle Kraig, January 30, 2019 at 6:38 pm

Nothing but a hunch but I suspect Winterset and Indianola are going to be tremendous overnight stops. I can’t wait!

Evin Thompson, January 30, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Great route, I really like to ride in southern Iowa. Finishing in Keokuk is awesome. It has been at least 55 years since the last time I was in the southern most town in Iowa.

I really hope we go through Confidence again. We passed through Confidence in 2016 and they really went all out to support RAGBRAI. It also really helped them out having RAGBRAI Nation pass through.

The Route Announcement Party was great. As we say in the Navy, BRAVO ZULU to the IBC and the RAGBRAI staff for putting together a great event.

Dizzy, January 30, 2019 at 10:51 pm

Hey Ken,
I didn’t hear the Karras Loop mentioned on the podcast either but on Saturday they announced it would be on Wednesday between Indianola and Centerville.

KenH, January 31, 2019 at 8:37 am

Yes, the Karras loop was mentioned in the route announcement party, I did hear that. Perhaps I just should have said that rather than trying to be “poetic”. I did want to say something in case someone tuned in the podcast without having heard the route announcement and got worried. Clearly at this point there will never be a RAGBRAI without a Karras loop although one has to wonder if it is not time to designate it the Karras-Kaul loop or the Founder’s Loop or something like that!

Basically anyone who posts on this forum should listen to the Just Go Bike podcast #103. My summary did not begin to plumb the depths of what is there and you owe it to yourselves to take a listen. It will only add to your excitement about this year’s ride. There will be more RAGBRAI related podcasts going forward so keep tabs on what they release next. It is a great podcast anyway, those of us who don’t tune it in regularly should start doing that. I spend several hours a week riding a commuter train, it’s not like I have an excuse….

Sandaltan ., February 1, 2019 at 9:07 am

Through Guthrie County on the White Pole Road.
http://rvprt.itmwpb.com/2019/02/01/ragbrai-interested-in-using-white-pole-road-in-guthrie-county-this-year/

RIDE RIGHT

mootsman, February 1, 2019 at 11:35 am

The google-maps short route from Burlington to Keokuk is only 40 miles but the day’s ride is slated for 62 miles. So It doesn’t sound like a nice direct route. Heck it could even be over into Illinois with that mileage although that I think would be very unlikely. The roads appear that they could add the miles by cutting to the river and back several times instead of the direct route. 1,700 feet of vertical isn’t a whole lot of climbing for 62 miles either. I think TJ has more surprises for this stretch.

Larry Klaaren, February 1, 2019 at 11:56 am

I really doubt that RAGBRAI would ever go out of Iowa. That would require working with a whole new set of police, etc., and some licensing issues for the vendors. The Iowa Highway Patrol is a huge part of making RAGBRAI go smoothly. That ride on the Illinois side has some nice sites to visit, like Nauvoo, but they would take more time than we would have available on Saturday if we have to catch a bus or pick up our luggage from a charter. Maybe in the afternoon. The Iowa side has some interesting sites also. We could go through the only Civil War Battle Site in Iowa. There was one half of a Civil War battle in Iowa. Confederate troops were trying to capture an arsenal near Athens, Mo. across the Des Moines River. Some Iowans who lived in Croton, Ia. started shooting at the rebels from the Iowa side, and one rebel cannon ball caused damage in Iowa. No one is sure if the rebs shot at the Iowans or if they overshot their target in Missouri. That was about twenty miles from Keokuk, so probably too far for the ride, but I may slip over there and get a picture if my friends will tolerate me. Pretty sure I won’t be doing that.

This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Larry Klaaren.

Brian Pentony, February 1, 2019 at 1:57 pm

Karris loop was mentioned as taking place on the day we ride from Inianola to Centerville. The day is already 78 miles so tacking on another 22 or so might not make much a difference to some riders. Hopefully more people end up with a patch.

Viewing 9 replies - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015