Join Us in July - Register Today!

THEY ARE MISSING!!

Beebs, Tony, Amanda and Miss Helen are all missing.  Would someone who lives in the Quad Cities knock on Tony’s door and see who answers??? 

Oh………and Knees36 also.

RIDE RIGHT and worried.

30 Replies

Amanda, August 10, 2011 at 5:57 am

I am here, too. It was a hot week, that is for sure! The heat really sucked the life out of me! I rode the whole week and even did Mt. colfax twice. Not by choice! I had ridden up the hill and grabbed a free bottle of water at the top. When I reached around to put it in my pocket, I realized no billfold!! YIKES! I saw a pooliceman at the next intersection, so I asked him if he could call  and see if the billfold had been turned in. He couldn’t get ahold of anyone. He was very nice and said sorry, you’ll have to go back down and talk to someone in town. About that time, a gentleman who was taking pictures said, “Is it a purple billfold in a green koozie?” I said YES! He said “I saw it on the curb in front of the bank. So I went back down town (Another way , of course) and there was my billfold/koozie. Just laying there. I grabbed it and took a quick peek. My license, credit card, insurance card and cash were all there! Of course I had to go up the hill again, but I flew up it, just happy to have my billfold – and koozie!

#24252

giantron, August 10, 2011 at 7:15 am

I think it’s a minor miracle that so many finished the ride, and with no fatalities. Especially with that crazy heat this year. I know our team, and mostly me, wouldn’t have been completing the ride if we didn’t have the RV with A/C that we used at night. I don’t know how those of you (and I know it’s most of you) finished the ride while baking in tents every night. I tip my hat to all of you.

#24253

Michrider !!!, August 10, 2011 at 7:27 am

Amanda said: I am here, too. It was a hot week, that is for sure! The heat really sucked the life out of me! I rode the whole week and even did Mt. colfax twice. Not by choice! I had ridden up the hill and grabbed a free bottle of water at the top. When I reached around to put it in my pocket, I realized no billfold!! YIKES! I saw a pooliceman at the next intersection, so I asked him if he could call  and see if the billfold had been turned in. He couldn’t get ahold of anyone. He was very nice and said sorry, you’ll have to go back down and talk to someone in town. About that time, a gentleman who was taking pictures said, “Is it a purple billfold in a green koozie?” I said YES! He said “I saw it on the curb in front of the bank. So I went back down town (Another way , of course) and there was my billfold/koozie. Just laying there. I grabbed it and took a quick peek. My license, credit card, insurance card and cash were all there! Of course I had to go up the hill again, but I flew up it, just happy to have my billfold – and koozie!

Purple in a green Fungus koozie?    Princess was lucky that day!!!

#24254

Zinger, August 10, 2011 at 10:24 am

Michrider said: I also had problems with the heat.  Sunday night, I had leg cramps all night long.  Horrible night with little sleep.  As you can probably figure, Monday was not a good day.  I told my friends to go ahead and rode by myself that day.  Somehow I made it through the day.  One of the guys in our charter turned me on to pickle juice.  I drank a cup of the stuff every day after riding, along with lots of water and no cramps the rest of the week.  The stuff tastes horrible but works!

My son tried to get me to drink a shot that was pickle juice and some type of whiskey. Forget what it’s called, but I passed. Thankfully, no cramps for me regardless!!

#24255

Wonder Woman, August 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

After having heat exhaustion a few years ago and getting a nice trip to the er, an from training for my marathon and reading every lable available. V8…the low sodium, kind (for some reason has more potassium, magnesium, and other things than the regular) but even the normal V8 has far and above more of your electrolytes that a gatorade. Check it out.
 

#24256

SSC1, August 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I’m really glad that I read this thread.  I had heat exhaustion at the end of day 1.  The last 15 miles were some of the most torturous I have ever ridden – not because they were hard miles but because I had worked it too hard on the first 40 miles (high gears, not enough hydrating, and not enough food) – blame it on never having ridden long distances in the heat before – stupid newbie.  I thought I was just not prepared for the ride – but now that I have read all the comments above, I see even the experienced riders had some trouble. 

I took advantage of the pool’s ice cold showers at the end of the first day – and then sat in the pool awhile – drank a ton of water – tried to get more than the 3 hours of sleep we had that night – and only rode 1/2 of day two.  Day two went just find – lots of energy and ended “up.”  I rode all the rest of the miles on the trip, so losing 38 miles the second day was small compared to the big picture.  I later found out that over 200 people were seen at the local medical centers for heat exhaustion.  Scary stuff.

I learned that I could eat as much as I wanted and drink as much water as I wanted and I would work it all off before the end of the day.  That made the rest of the week much easier.

#24257

Dint, August 11, 2011 at 8:59 am

Zinger said:


My son tried to get me to drink a shot that was pickle juice and some type of whiskey. Forget what it’s called, but I passed. Thankfully, no cramps for me regardless!!

Zinger U were wise not to drink it! Last year we were camped next to a V.F.W. forget which town but after drinking vodka Lemonades all night someone suggested shots of Jack. I don’t care for Jack or doing shots but after several hrs of the above commons sense lost out. I remember doing the shots of Jack (several) and chasing them with pickle juice! The pickle juice kills the bite of the Jack. I also remember rolling out of my tent the next morning at 6:30 AM for a 80  mile ride that day. The friends I ride with were not who I was partying with the night before. They just shook their heads laughed and said good luck. I don’t know maybe it was the power of the pickle juice! Made it the next day with no problems.

#24258

SSC1, August 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

giantron said: I think it’s a minor miracle that so many finished the ride, and with no fatalities. Especially with that crazy heat this year. I know our team, and mostly me, wouldn’t have been completing the ride if we didn’t have the RV with A/C that we used at night. I don’t know how those of you (and I know it’s most of you) finished the ride while baking in tents every night. I tip my hat to all of you.

I appreciate the tip of the hat.  We slept in tents all the way across – that we set up and then broke down each day (two of our five were support riders every other day).  The best advice I received came from the forum – buy the 5 inch 2 Cool fans from Wal-Mart.  We had two in each tent – four in the two person tents.  While it was still horribly hot and humid and we didn’t really get cool enough until 3 AM, the fans made a difference.

Having said all of that – if we do it again – we will join a club that arranges homestays where you can use a shower, sit inside and cool off, and/or eat dinner cooked at home.  The tent thing worked ok for a year – but I’m not sure we will do it again that way.

#24259

Sandaltan ., August 15, 2011 at 10:03 am

Great stories, thanks to all for taking the time to share your wisdom.  The bagger’s ride out to Glenwood; three days of 100 degree heat, two days of hills and one half day of headwinds was the icing on our cake of preparation for the ride.  We knew what was ahead….we “been there and done that”.   We survived and did well with no cramps or heat problems for one reason.  Beautiful home stays with wonderful hosts and air conditioned sleeping accommodations.  Sleep deprivation may take a greater toll on the body than heat and hills combined. 

RIDE RIGHT

RIDE RIGHT 

#24260

Michrider !!!, August 16, 2011 at 5:16 am

ST, how was your Michigan ride?  How many days did you do?

#24261

Sandaltan ., August 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Michrider said: ST, how was your Michigan ride?  How many days did you do?

Shoreline West is a first class tour and this being the 25th anniversary they went all out.  The fourteen of us from DSM had not a single complaint.  The weather was great, the route was scenic and very well marked, the booklet that described the route was accurate and the school food was either good or very good.  Twelve of us did the six day route from New Buffalo to Traverse City and two of our party did three more days to the big bridge.  Cherries, blueberries, smoked whitefish and smoked lake trout were real treats for us.  I highly recommend this tour especially if you are put off by large numbers on RAGBRAI.  With only 500 riders the roads are not crowded and the restaurants along the route are, for the most part, able to accommodate all who stop. 

RIDE RIGHT

#24262

giantron, August 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I did that ride a couple years ago. Regrettably our year was the rainy cold year. But it’s still a beautiful ride. Some pretty good hills too.

I was actually up in South Haven and New Buffalo this past weekend eating blueberries as well……
I would recommend it as well. Very scenic. Actually I thought this years RAGBRAI was one of the more scenic ones I’ve been on (total=3, so not a huge comparison there).

#24263

Sandaltan ., August 17, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Sherman Dairy in South Haven was a highlight of the trip.  They are known for ice cream and lived up to the legend!!!  Sherman’s had (drum roll)……………real BLACK WALNUT ICE CREAM!!!  It was blazing hot that afternoon so I had two scoops in a cup so as  not to waste any ice cream to melting.  No trip to South Haven is complete without a visit to Sherman Dairy.

RIDE RIGHT   You betcha there are some hills!!!!

#24264

Michrider !!!, August 18, 2011 at 1:32 am

Sandaltan said: Sherman Dairy in South Haven was a highlight of the trip.  They are known for ice cream and lived up to the legend!!!  Sherman’s had (drum roll)……………real BLACK WALNUT ICE CREAM!!!  It was blazing hot that afternoon so I had two scoops in a cup so as  not to waste any ice cream to melting.  No trip to South Haven is complete without a visit to Sherman Dairy.

RIDE RIGHT   You betcha there are some hills!!!!

I thought Michigan was flat!!!!

#24265

Satman, August 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Michrider said:   
I thought Michigan was flat!!!!

Most of it is.

Labor Day weekend is the DALMAC from Lansing (mid state) to Mackinaw,
mostly thru the NW corner of the state.  On the fourth day there are some
hills with names!  Puke Hill, 5-Tears (some very large rollers), and ‘The Wall’,
which is like Potters Hill only shorter and a little steeper!

Fantastic ride though, through a beautiful part of the state.  I heard today that
Sleeping Bear Dunes were rated the most beautiful spot in America by Good Morning America.  I believe they are right.

#24266

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters