RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Thinking ahead to 2019 …

I’m torn on the 2019 route … I think it’ll be either just south of I-80 (Council Bluffs start) or perhaps a Highway 20 route. Thoughts?

65 Replies

Amanda, August 27, 2018 at 8:55 am

We haven’t started in Rock Rapids for 11 years. Maybe this year? Or Council Bluffs….

jake d, August 27, 2018 at 5:28 pm

I vote Rock Rapids. Council Bluffs has had it twice since Rock Rapids.

Gallagher, August 28, 2018 at 8:02 am

Last time we started in Rock Rapids I made the mistake of camping right next to a shuttle stop coming back from town. Trying to sleep with a bunch of drunk people getting off a shuttle late at night made for an interesting evening! Ha, ha.

Eli Bennink, August 28, 2018 at 9:58 am

I think it would be cool to have it go through Des Moines, and maybe pella.

Ronald Jacobson, September 3, 2018 at 11:53 am

Please go the Highway 20 route. I’m planning to make this my 1st RAGBRAI and would LOVE to go through Dyersville!!! Field of Dreams is one of my all time favorite movies!!!

T. Gap Woo, September 4, 2018 at 8:40 am

For those who advocate a longer ride, how about a diagonal route from Rock Rapids to Keokuk via Des Moines. Overnight towns could include Winterset and Pella, two of my favorite towns! Pass-through towns could include LeMars, Fairfield, and Ottumwa.

Let the speculation begin!

Iceman !, September 28, 2018 at 11:15 am

I did 6 RAGBRAI’s and have not done one since 2013 simply because my riding group wanted to ride other rides around the country (I highly recommend Bon Ton Roulet in New York and the GRABWR Wisconsin River ride). I highly doubt, however, that the powers that be at the Register will do anything much out of the ordinary for fear of screwing up a good thing.

Having said that, I’d really like an east to west ride on the 50th anniversary and I would return to do the 50th. There’s nothing special about west to east versus east to west – I just think that long term that the end towns ought to get the first day or two financial benefits and media exposure and please don’t tell me they benefit the same as the western start towns. At the RAGBRAI’s I did – and I cannot believe it has changed – the vast majority of riders simply disappeared the minute they hit the end town. Does not seem fair. And by the way, I don’t live in Iowa but I do believe the mantra of the DMR that RAGBRAI is for Iowans.

LawnchairMan, September 29, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Iceman!,
I think you are right that Ragbrai will maintain its traditional West to East routes. They say that it keeps the Sun out of the eyes of those later riders coming into the overnight towns. That doesn’t help me, but what I like is that it is usually a 500 to 1000 foot net descent across the state. Not that I can’t climb, but I do like downhill better.
Don’t feel too bad about the end towns. I always camp there the Friday before the ride along with one or two thousand others. We patronize the local eateries for supper and maybe breakfast. I leave my car there, so there is the parking fee, and I usually fill the tank before leaving town. There are also shower fees, sack lunches, and maybe a souvenir.
True, the final day is a mad free-for-all for most to get out of town, but I have heard that some stay a while. So they get two shots at us. This year we were close enough to Muscatine for me to head that way for melons and corn. Those were my souvenirs, and man were they tasty! When we are further North I buy that in the last town.
You are probably correct that the start town gets more business, but I’d bet the end town does better than the overnight towns. Just my opinion.
I don’t think the end towns get a bad deal. Have any of the eastern cities ever turned us away?

Ken Reed, October 9, 2018 at 8:48 am

So it begins. After a basic Google search, I was able to find out that Mason City and Eagle Grove have both applied to be overnights for next year. Frankly, I just don’t it going a lot north of I-80 but I’ve been wrong before.

Bob Braigar, October 9, 2018 at 1:17 pm

acording to ragbrai.com “RAGBRAI has received more than 200 requests from towns that want to be either overnight or pass-through towns on RAGBRAI. RAGBRAI Director T.J. Juskiewicz reviews those requests looking for route possibilities across Iowa. “

Ken Reed, October 11, 2018 at 10:40 am

Come on, Bob! Don’t be a kill-joy. lol

Bob Braigar, October 11, 2018 at 1:27 pm

Sorry, I feel ya, and I’m down for any rumored intel, please share anything you may hear!

Larry Klaaren, October 11, 2018 at 5:53 pm

I have it from a good source that it will be from west to east, and the rumor is that the first 2-3 cays and the last 3-4 days may involve hills. There is a chance of heat. I believe they were thinking that your phone won’t work well much of the time on this route and we will be going through regions where you will see a lot of Iowa State and Hawkeye flags and signs. Hy-Vee, Walmart, and Casey’s will be there for you.

John Condon, October 15, 2018 at 1:58 pm

Larry is on to something. West to East for sure. Hot and hilly. Silly.

John Condon, October 15, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Any route is a good one!!!

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI