Those With Youth Riders: Youth Road Bike?

My 7 year old nephew got a taste of RAGBRAI last week. He rode in a WeeHoo trailer. I think he may outgrow the trailer by next year, and he has requested to ride his own bike. We’re debating what to do next year. He does not currently have a bike with gears, so if he were to ride his own bike, we would need to get him one. I saw a number of young riders on kid’s road bikes. I’ve looked online, and having trouble finding a small road bike. Ideally, we don’t want to spend a lot of money on a bike he will outgrow just a few years. (A good used bike would be great.) For those of you with young riders, where did you get your road bike? And if you know of a good source for used kid’s road bikes, that would be great too!

5 Replies

Sunflower, July 31, 2019 at 12:13 pm

I’ve got the Specialized Hot Rock my son road from 7-13. Its a hybrid with inverted tread smooth tires and the correct gearing for RAGBRAI. The upright riding position is an easier way to start out a child than drop bars but either are do-able. If you’re interested we can talk.

T. Gap Woo, July 31, 2019 at 5:09 pm

My LBS has a trade-in program for youth bikes. Buy one when your child is ready. When they outgrow it, trade it in for a larger bike. When that bike is too small, trade again when they should be ready for an adult bike. When the Woo grandchildren are old enough for bikes, this is what I’m doing. Right now, they’re training on tricycles and are already accustomed to riding with helmets and cycling gloves.

Check with your LBS to see if they have a similar program. Good luck!

See you along the I-O-Way next year (and in about 15 years with the Woo Grandchildren).

hnschipper, August 1, 2019 at 11:30 am

I’ve got the Specialized Hot Rock my son road from 7-13. Its a hybrid with inverted tread smooth tires and the correct gearing for RAGBRAI. The upright riding position is an easier way to start out a child than drop bars but either are do-able. If you’re interested we can talk.

Potentially interested!

kicks9, August 1, 2019 at 11:53 am

I found a couple, Fuji Ace 24 road bike. Has gears, it is a double. My daughter rides it, but is almost big enough for a regular road bike. I think Diamond back makes a kids road bike too.

Not great components, but that keeps the price down since they grow out of them so fast.

Sunflower, August 1, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Potentially interested!

563 564 2313

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014