Thoughts on the route?

So what does everyone think of the route? Any locals have any insight on the ride for each day? It looks like mileage and climb is pretty similar to last year, just a few more miles of riding and about 500 feet less of climb. Any idea what the hills will be like? Will we earn all of our climb on a couple big hills like last year or will we get some rolling hills to account for our climb footage? Any particular scenic days like last year or will it be all fields and corn, which I guess is scenic too.

10 Replies

jwsknk, January 31, 2018 at 8:31 am

First day and a half rollers through the Loess Hills. After crossing the Middle Raccoon River should flatten out. A pretty good climb out of the Des Moines River Valley someplace about 10 miles north or south of Boone. Probably hit some more half way to Newton. Will know better when route details come out.

John Richardson, January 31, 2018 at 10:06 am

I think jwsknk has a good take on this years route. I rode a tandem with my wife on RAGBRAI XXXII, 2004 the last year we started in Onawa. Other than the starting town it was a very different route than XLVI but still a very memorable RAGBRAI. We rode the few miles to the river for the tire dip on Saturday evening which turned out to be a chilly ride and that night in Onawa it got down in the mid 40s. Usually the heat is the bigger issue on RAGBRAI but not that year. I had only packed a fleece blanket and if it wasn’t for being able to borrow some warmth from my wife I would’ve had to seek shelter else where. I don’t think it got above the low 80s the whole week. On that years Thursday ride from Marshalltown to Hiawatha we endured several rain showers and on Fridays ride from Hiawatha to Maquoketa it pretty much rained all day. The unfortunate thing was that the route had a gravel section which was now quite muddy and sloppy. It diddn’t take long for all of us to become a muddy mess.

jpclark7, February 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Fog
I hope we get a nice foggy day (or part of) like this!

Megandoty, February 6, 2018 at 9:23 am

I live in the area of the first day and I *think* I know the route that will be taken. If it goes how I think, the first 12 miles will be completely flat.. the next 11 will be rolling hills… the next 7 will be flat and the last 13 will be rolling hills with one big one a couple miles outside of Denison but then downhill ride into town. …That’s if it goes the way I think 🙂

This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Megandoty.

Megandoty, February 6, 2018 at 9:34 am

and I also just noticed- the picture in my profile was taken just off what I think the route will be 🙂

czysk, February 6, 2018 at 11:26 am

Megandoty, That bridge in your profile photo looks like several that I have crossed on previous
Ragbrais. Downhill to get there and uphill after crossing.
Craig

Tim Tysver, February 6, 2018 at 12:34 pm

This will be my first ride and I just can’t imagine the largest probable pass thru town day one (Charter Oak, population 483), becoming Charter Oak population 10,483 for lunch. They must start baking and cooking in June :).

Cory Rood, February 6, 2018 at 1:27 pm

I live in the area of the first day and I *think* I know the route that will be taken. If it goes how I think, the first 12 miles will be completely flat.. the next 11 will be rolling hills… the next 7 will be flat and the last 13 will be rolling hills with one big one a couple miles outside of Denison but then downhill ride into town. …That’s if it goes the way I think 🙂

Whats your definition of a ‘big’ hill? I’ve found that many people that live in the western 2/3rds of the state have a different opinion on ‘big’ than the eastern 1/3rd.

Megandoty, February 6, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I think Ute and Charter Oak will both be ready! My aunt is already planning haha!

I don’t know how I would compare that last uphill into Denison to hills on the east but I think it will easily be the biggest hill of the day. I drove up it on Saturday and my eyes crossed a little at the thought of riding up it… I’m more of a beginner biker so I’m sure more experienced bikers won’t think much of it lol

CharterOak DayOne, February 7, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Heck yes, Charter Oak and Ute will be ready! We just had our 125th and 150th town celebrations two and three years ago, so we are fresh off being prepared for a large crowd. There are six flat-as-a-pancake miles between the two towns, followed by hills to Denison. “Power-dive hill” at the junction of 141 and 59 just outside of Denison will be the biggie, but the county hospital is right there, too. (: We can’t wait to roll out the red carpet for RAGBRAI.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015