TIme to Make Peace and Come Back Together as 1 Ride

If the plans for Iowa’s Ride actually do not precede the whole King issue, I think there could be a chance of a reconciliation here if both sides would try. The Register has to reach out first, maybe through an arbitrator. The Register went too far trying to control the RAGBRAI director’s communications. And the director went too far getting the whole staff to walk and start their own ride the same week no less. And any lawsuit is not likely to go in Iowa’s Ride’s favor. So maybe agree mistakes were made on both sides (ignore who made the 1st one) and bring the entire staff back. It would be what is best for RAGBRAI and its riders.

If of course this was just an excuse to create their own ride, well, not a good thing. And the whole King deal has nothing to do with RAGBRAI. Which if I understand it correctly, was what TJ was trying to communicate but the PR firm thought ignoring the King issue was a good idea. That would not have happened, not in Iowa. Maybe on the east coast. Now, LET’S RIDE!

74 Replies

Logan Foltz, October 18, 2019 at 11:33 pm

As an out of stater I had never heard of Carson King until TJ jumped ship. TJ sounds really excited to be doing his own ride and is touting several changes so that this ride is done the “right way,” and it is hard to believe he just thought of all this on his own time in the past two weeks. No lottery! Let’s have lower prices to encourage youth riders! Maybe the ride will go east to west at some point! 100% non-profit! I am not loyal to the DMR or any group of organizers. I actually enjoyed Ride the Rockies more last year. Until one ride demonstrates it can pull this off this feels like VHS vs. Beta Max. Why risk going with the wrong product? No winners here.

Randi Rogers, October 19, 2019 at 5:58 am

Why are all you RAGBRAIers so butt hurt about a new ride? Is it because Gannett’s ride is falling apart? Here’s a thought. You want to ride Gannett’s ride, ride it. Maybe they’ll have it. Word is that they don’t have a director or marketing staff, but hey there’s still time. Gannett does such an awesome job of managing its newspaper business. I’m sure this won’t be a problem for them. Bottom line, you bitter people just can’t stand it when others think for themselves. Do your corporate ride. Please. It would be a win for those of us who are going a new direction.

klkoopman, October 19, 2019 at 7:07 am

Given that “Randi Rogers” registered on this forum only 19 hours ago and, of course, has no wristband number I think it’s safe to say that he (she?) knows very little about RAGBRAI and is just here to troll.

Anyone wish for the days when the biggest controversy on this forum was how wacked out FSU Football/ Prince Page would get before he finally got banned?

Nico ZZZ, October 19, 2019 at 7:13 am

klkoopman, thinking the exact same thing here. Hoping for the dark Prince’s return to asking about weed intake, beer, and how stupid we are to wear padded bike shorts. And last year’s line-in-the-sand rant-fest over e-bikes. Ahh, nostalgia….

Ride On!

klkoopman, October 19, 2019 at 7:24 am

LOL, Nico ZZZ. Remember Prince Page’s fear that his car would be stolen by meth-heads in Keokuk? I would actually like to hear his unique perspective on this controversy. I’m sure there are a few angles we have not thought of that need further exploration.

Nico ZZZ, October 19, 2019 at 7:39 am

My real fear for last year’s ride was the roving gangs of Iowa Kickboxers reported in Council Bluffs in the early weeks of June. But I slept peacefully that Saturday night, and luckily, my bike was there in the morning for that glorious Sunday morning ride-out. Not sure if everyone was as lucky as I. I never heard of anything, but you know, as well as I, how all these police departments squash any reports of crime during RAGBRAI week. = )

Ride On!

Jill Ellenbecker, October 19, 2019 at 9:18 am

* It would be cool if they coordinated the rides on consecutive weeks with one going west-to-east then the following week the other ride going east-to-west. The first one ends at the same town where the second one begins. Each being a different route. People can pick their preferred route or week. It should take some of the overflow pressure off a single ride. For people doing both weeks it would facilitate logistics.

This is a really intriguing idea. Goes to show that there are probably a lot of good ways to make two trans-Iowa rides work, but none of them are happening right now.

I was poking around on the Biking Across Kansas website, and back in the 90’s-early 00’s, they had three routes for the same ride on the same week. I assume that they were able to make that work.

I’d like to see Mom and Dad get back together, but, if they can’t, I’d like to see this done amicably.

mootsman, October 19, 2019 at 9:43 am

Given that “Randi Rogers” registered on this forum only 19 hours ago and, of course, has no wristband number I think it’s safe to say that he (she?) knows very little about RAGBRAI and is just here to troll.

Anyone wish for the days when the biggest controversy on this forum was how wacked out FSU Football/ Prince Page would get before he finally got banned?

RR is either a web troll as you pointed out or one of the staffers that quit and is trying to get riders to switch to IR. Either way we just ignore RR posts.

This reply was modified 1 year ago by mootsman.

RDaryl Daryl, October 19, 2019 at 9:48 am

FSU/PP only shown up briefly in January.

BarryTantlinger, October 19, 2019 at 11:29 am

@Randi, if you’re the type of person attracted to IR, I’ll gladly not ride with you. I hope Ragbrai puts half of a state between us.

Chris, October 19, 2019 at 11:58 am

“We’d love to hear some out-of-state perspective on this”

Deal. 8x RAGBRAI Riders, from New Jersey.

When we first read that TJ and the staff had resigned over Carson King and donations and beer money, our response was “WTF are they talking about?”. The whole backstory didn’t even rise to Page 6 in our newspapers (yes, I’m an oldschool bastard. Still get the paper every day). We had to do a lot of reading to try to understand the whole series of events. I realize there’s a lot of local feeling and nuance to this, but that’s not translating well to the areas further away from Iowa. I purposely watched the news the other night; all of 4 of the NYC channels had zero about this, even in the sports. It’s not even news out this way, even if it’s big news to us riders.

From 1000 miles away, this looks every bit like a giant pissing match. TJ and his team have a good job with RAGBRAI for the past decade and a half. No doubt. Yeah, it’s grown and moved and changed; that’s what RAGBRAI is.

From all the way over here, without digging in and appreciating the whole backstory, it just looks jackassed. I’m with the headline of this thread: 1 Iowa, 1 ride.

BarryTantlinger, October 19, 2019 at 12:04 pm

“We’d love to hear some out-of-state perspective on this”

Deal. 8x RAGBRAI Riders, from New Jersey.

When we first read that TJ and the staff had resigned over Carson King and donations and beer money, our response was “WTF are they talking about?”. The whole backstory didn’t even rise to Page 6 in our newspapers (yes, I’m an oldschool bastard. Still get the paper every day). We had to do a lot of reading to try to understand the whole series of events. I realize there’s a lot of local feeling and nuance to this, but that’s not translating well to the areas further away from Iowa. I purposely watched the news the other night; all of 4 of the NYC channels had zero about this, even in the sports. It’s not even news out this way, even if it’s big news to us riders.

From 1000 miles away, this looks every bit like a giant pissing match. TJ and his team have a good job with RAGBRAI for the past decade and a half. No doubt. Yeah, it’s grown and moved and changed; that’s what RAGBRAI is.

From all the way over here, without digging in and appreciating the whole backstory, it just looks jackassed. I’m with the headline of this thread: 1 Iowa, 1 ride.

This. Local Iowa politics don’t mean much to out-of-staters, and if they do, we can put them aside. I’ve ridden through Steve King’s district and the world didn’t end. Riding Ragbrai when you don’t support the Register will also not bring about the apocalypse.

Nico ZZZ, October 19, 2019 at 12:36 pm

I am Iowa born, with family in Iowa, and live in Florida, one of the most idiotic political states in the country: white supremacist governor, former idiot/criminal governor Scott now a senator, Marco “what size are his hands?” Rubio…and that is just the current stable of morons representing our state. How many non-Floridians know of my stable of idiots in the political arena? Few.
The same with Iowa. Most outside of Iowa don’t know about Iowa politics, and don’t really care, especially the cyclists that come to RAGBRAI every year. Some riders claim to boycott RAGBRAI because of the ding-dong in NW Iowa Rep Steve King. Yes, he is an idiot and a racist, but I still ride RAGBRAI because he is not on a bike talking to me on my 60 mile rides while in “his” district. My “protest” when riding RAGBRAI is to wear my “POC” Colombian jersey every day I am in his district (I met over a dozen riders from Colombia at RAGBRAI this year) and eat at family owned Mexican restaurants. Do what you can, don’t lose your F’ing mind over all this.
Iowa politics really never meant much to RAGBRAI riders. Now, T.J., who claims to adore Iowa and cycling, has made a ride in Iowa this July: his ride or RAGBRAI, all about politics. This is why I will never support his ride. T.J. claims to be some GD freedom fighter, some First Amendment man, but it is a stupid and futile gesture by a man swimming in a pool of his own self-importance.
T.J. is probably a nice guy, probably a great neighbor, but he is no hero, and he is not working for the greater good of cycling or Iowa.

Just Ride!

BarryTantlinger, October 19, 2019 at 12:43 pm

… eat at family owned Mexican restaurants.

As a Californian, this always strikes me as odd. I mean, I’ve done it, but it seems weird to travel to Iowa to eat Mexican food. I guess it’s better than 40 years ago when you couldn’t even find a taco in the Midwest…

Nico ZZZ, October 19, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Barry,
I used to live in So Cal (1980s), and goodness that was the best Mex food. We had the Mex circuit of our fave restaurants depending upon our desires: Pineda’s for tortas, another for taquitos, King Taco for burritos, another for a great sitdown meal (where Eddie Van Halen and Valerie B used to eat).
Honestly, we have met some lovely families running Mex restaurants in Iowa. Last year was not as good, but the year before was hitting gold again and again! Of course, it was fun to be able to speak Spanish as well with these wonderful people. 2016 was also a great year of Mex food; I think I had three mornings of full-on Mex food!
I’ve lived in Miami for over twenty years, and in the last ten years we have quite a number of legit Mex restaurants we hit every week – thank goodness!

Ride On!

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015