TIme to Make Peace and Come Back Together as 1 Ride

If the plans for Iowa’s Ride actually do not precede the whole King issue, I think there could be a chance of a reconciliation here if both sides would try. The Register has to reach out first, maybe through an arbitrator. The Register went too far trying to control the RAGBRAI director’s communications. And the director went too far getting the whole staff to walk and start their own ride the same week no less. And any lawsuit is not likely to go in Iowa’s Ride’s favor. So maybe agree mistakes were made on both sides (ignore who made the 1st one) and bring the entire staff back. It would be what is best for RAGBRAI and its riders.

If of course this was just an excuse to create their own ride, well, not a good thing. And the whole King deal has nothing to do with RAGBRAI. Which if I understand it correctly, was what TJ was trying to communicate but the PR firm thought ignoring the King issue was a good idea. That would not have happened, not in Iowa. Maybe on the east coast. Now, LET’S RIDE!

74 Replies

BarryTantlinger, October 19, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Barry,
I used to live in So Cal (1980s), and goodness that was the best Mex food. We had the Mex circuit of our fave restaurants depending upon our desires: Pineda’s for tortas, another for taquitos, King Taco for burritos, another for a great sitdown meal (where Eddie Van Halen and Valerie B used to eat).
Honestly, we have met some lovely families running Mex restaurants in Iowa. Last year was not as good, but the year before was hitting gold again and again! Of course, it was fun to be able to speak Spanish as well with these wonderful people. 2016 was also a great year of Mex food; I think I had three mornings of full-on Mex food!

We had breakfast at a Mexican place in Nevada in 2018. Sit down restaurants are the secret to a fun Ragbrai. I always like to get out of the crowds and into the a/c…

davekilloran, October 19, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Nico,
Your hate speech about Florida politicians is indicative of the world we live in. Thanks for the reason we cant get along. I too, live in Florida having grown up in PA. Done Ragbrai the last 4 years. Worked as the road warrior until I retired 4 years ago. Always looked forward to the USA (Gannett) on either my doorstep or in the lobby every day. Recently traveled and the paper is now unreadable, so far left, alive and kicking as I say. This whole mess is clearly about politics and the message. Will continue riding 5 days a week and if Iowans can figure this out ill be back, if not no worries. Dave

Nico ZZZ, October 19, 2019 at 4:58 pm

Aw Dave,

I expected a backlash from those who cannot acknowledge that the FL governor is a white supremacist, that Scott is corrupt and Rubio has indeed been obsessed with hand-size with Trump. Not hate-speech, these politicians are experts in hate speech, not I.
I appreciate your labelling my opinion as hate speech, as it is so easy to label, isn’t it Dave? Easier than actually thinking? Is that an arrogant statement? Not to me. I know I am intelligent, and your response doesn’t prove your intelligence. Labelling is easier than actually communicating.
The politicians I mentioned are the experts in hate speech. But apparently they are poor innocent little lambs that you feel the need to protect. Congrats to you, you are such a good soul; you will definitely go to heaven.
I don’t care left or right, knowledge is strength, and how I have described these men is out in the open: the truth, not an opinion. Read their history, read their speeches and actions, don’t just look at their bottom third graphic: REP “good”, DEM “bad”. Corruption is corruption, left or right.
You did say one truth: “this whole mess is truly politics.” And TJ has made it so.
I am tired of labelling.

Ride On.

Jboz, October 19, 2019 at 5:07 pm

“Tired of labeling”…but not until vomiting out a whole bunch of labels.

davekilloran, October 19, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Nico, Nico, Nico, where do you live in Florida? let go for a 50-60 mile ride and have a beer or ten. Labels suck, as does politics and you completely made my point. Lets just freakin’ ride. Olive branch has been extended. Thanks JBoz

This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by davekilloran.

Nico ZZZ, October 19, 2019 at 5:24 pm

Thanks for the silliness Jboz and Dave. I see where you are from politically. Enjoy that place.

Ride On!

davekilloran, October 19, 2019 at 5:27 pm

Nico, isn’t this thread about trying to make peace. I say we start it. What say you? Maybe you and I can solve all this nonsense. I’m can try, can you?

mootsman, October 19, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Let’s get back on topic. Getting back to one ride. And what’s best for riders. Not what’s best for TJ or the DMR..

Nico ZZZ, October 19, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Dave,
“Nico,
Your hate speech about Florida politicians is indicative of the world we live in. Thanks for the reason we cant get along.”

Why can’t we get along? Because you like racist politicians? Yep, no interest in meeting you. This is not my opinion, he has been meeting with white supremacist groups – not an opinion. So own your love of this guy.
You attacked me without defending these GOP guys you apparently admire? I was using the madness of FL politics to make a point about IA/TJ/Register politics. But you were offended because I offended some random GOPer that you apparently don’t even know, since you didn’t defend them, you just attacked me. So boring.
I did not attack you two guys. But you two, rather than making a point about the politics of these FL people or the IA politics, you labelled me as the bad guy. Classic diversion yammering when you can’t defend these ding dongs in FL. And that is not of interest on this forum. I was pointing out that no one cares about state politics outside of their state. Don’t be so sensitive.
Dave, you live in FL, and you obviously voted for these guys. Good for you and America; we should all vote. But I can still state that these guys are morons. And you can attack me and be condescending with your “Nico, Nico, Nico…” And I can agree to not to ever have a beer with you.
Ride On!

davekilloran, October 19, 2019 at 6:50 pm

My goodness Nico, you just proved my point again. I tried to extend the branch but you continue to hate. Bye Bye. JBoz, I tried. Sorry.

RustyC, October 19, 2019 at 7:34 pm

Well said Mootsman.

mootsman, October 19, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Yes, let’s drop the Florida politics and the King issue here.

Back to what’s best for the RIDERS. DMR, TJ, please get us back to 1 ride. That’s what’s best for us riders. We riders are the 3rd side in this and seem to have been forgotten.

skb-mpls, October 19, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Not sure how many of you read the post by a fellow rider Kevin Ross (judge in mn) that was posted on the “We’re here to answer” button on the RAGBRAI home page…. I thought I would post in again here.

A Modest Radical Suggestion.

RAGRBAI is the oldest, largest, longest, and most beloved organized cycling tour in the world. We have reached a crises that may diminish it, destroy it, or replace it with unknown results. But perhaps the current crisis instead provides the opportunity to improve it.

So here’s a brainstorming suggestion that might avoid the likely chaos and certain conflict that will result from separate, competing rides (one of which would have to be organized by an inexperienced team).

Make the deep sacrifices to reconcile the current crisis (and also establish a better ongoing organization) by creating a new, nonprofit organization to own and control RAGBRAI under a new board of directors. The Register would voluntarily relinquish ownership of the ride and the intellectual property in the “RAGBRAI” name and merchandising. But in keeping with tradition and honor the Register’s years of facilitating the ride, the ride would continue to be called RAGBRAI and the Register would perpetually have at least one designated seat on the new board. On his part, Juskiewicz would surrender his threat to use the nuclear option and would also have to entrust his future relationship with the ride into the hands of an undetermined board, trusting that the board will act in good faith for the good of the event and respect his years of exceptional service.

The nonprofit board in the first year would consist of an equal number of members appointed by the Register and members appointed by Juskiewicz, with one additional member—the chairperson—to then chosen by the board itself from outside. The Juskiewicz team would serve as the organizer of the 2020 ride, compensated comparable to their arrangement with the Register.

Going forward, the board would consist of some number of members serving staggered, 3-year terms. The RAGBRAI riders from the previous year would choose the individuals to serve as board members replacing the outgoing members who are terming out and to fill any other vacancies, each rider having one vote in an annual online election. The Register would always have one designated board member, each serving a 3-year term.

The new board after the first election would determine the qualifications of board members and the role of and the relationship between the organizer and the board.
Consider whether this proposal, or some variation of it, is in the best long-term interests of the event wholly apart from the recent conflict that led to the current Juskiewicz-Register separation. I think that following a course like this will have lasting benefits and avert a RAGBRAI Civil War, including the following:

– RAGBRAI survives, improved, and remains the singular, spectacular gem of the cycling world;
– Those loyal to Juskiewicz but annoyed at the Register would remain committed to the ride rather than desert it for a different one;
– Those loyal to Register but annoyed at Juskiewicz would continue to enjoy the benefit of Juskiewicz-organized rides;
– No one would be forced to choose between one ride or the other and all riders would continue to enjoy participating in the single biggest and best cycling event in the world;
– Iowa towns who host the ride and the riders will continue to appreciate the full magnitude of a single event;
– The Register and Juskiewicz prove their true commitment to the ride and to the people (riders and towns) who depend on it;
– Iowans demonstrate maturity in conflict resolution in a fashion that continues to distinguish the state and its people in terms of practicality and virtue;
– All riders would have (and feel) a greater and more personal grass-roots sense of ownership in the event and, as a consequence, its causes; and
– The ride will continue to honor and retain its deep tradition as RAGBRAI.

Those are my two cents as an Iowa native (now a Minnesotan) and finally a very happy RAGBRAI rider (2019) who wants a reason to keep coming back.

mootsman, October 19, 2019 at 8:28 pm

SkiB-Minneapolis: 2 rides is the opposite of what’s in the rider’s best interests. The above idea you forwarded may be a bit of an over-reaction. I just don’t see the DMR giving up some thing they really built over the last 48 years. RAGBRAI was 30+ years old and already well developed when TJ became director. The DMR would likely go the lawsuit route before handing over RAGBRAI.

This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by mootsman.

This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by mootsman.

Sandaltan ., October 20, 2019 at 8:34 am

Why is only one ride in the best interest of all riders? Would one flavor of ice cream, one brand of automobile, one flavor of beer be in the best interest of all? Some riders I have encouraged to try RAGBRAI have immediately dismissed the idea because of SIZE which matters greatly to them, far too many people, long lines, crowded roadways, noise, you have to move every day, “I want a loop ride” and believe it or not “you have to buy your own food”. I believe a second choice in this state will be good for riders, not bad. The slate is clean for Iowa’s Ride, there could be a loop day, start and or finish or both could be in the same town for both rides, as suggested by others the routes could cross and share an overnight town….many things are possible for IR. RAGBRAI could also change, must there be a route announcement party? Seems to me the route was announced in the Sunday Edition of the paper at one time. Must RAGBRAI always be the last full week in July? Change is afoot.

RIDE RIGHT

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015