Join Us in July - Register Today!

Time Trail tonight

First time trial for me tonight.  11miles.  Any advice?  Flat road with a turnaround at 5.5 miles.

Kicks9

7 Replies

Ragbrai Nation, August 17, 2011 at 7:34 am

Full-body stretching and some warm up riding.

KittySlayer, August 17, 2011 at 9:21 am

Steady pace, consistent pace, dont try to “win” in the first mile. Look at the previous times of other riders and decide what pace (mph) you think you can finish in. Let’s say your goal is 23mph average for the whole thing. So long as there is no wind to impact things you should not vary more too much from that number (22-24 range). You can always speed up a little later if you feel you have enough in the tank.

Stay tucked in and as aero as possible with your body. Aero bars are great if you have used them before but too late to just slap on for tonite if you have never used them. Tight jersey, one bottle on seattube, small/no saddlebag.  It’s okay to be uncomfortable so long as it is not distracting. Stretching and warming up will help you get in that aero position.

Don’t biff it at the turn around, grab a handful of brakes before the turn, slow down and stay out of the ditch. Take that brief break from suffering to get your mind right. Grab a splash of water. Get back up to speed and settle back into that aero position.

Warm up and arrive at the start line with a bit of sweat. Gulp down some water a little bit before your start. You might be able to get by without a bottle but I always like one(1) on the bike. A bug in the mouth with no water sucks.

Start your watch when your minute man (the guy before you) goes off. That way you are not screwing around with buttons and such when you should be focused on riding at your start time. Simply subtract a minute from the time shown on your watch.

Remember, it’s supposed to hurt, just put on your big girl panties and deal with it. When you get 75% done you should plan to use all your remaining effort to finish strong with nothing left in the tank.

kicks9, August 17, 2011 at 9:35 am

Good advice, start in the big ring or middle (triple front) and then shift into the big?  I figured start in the big, stand up at the start and get rolling then work though the back gears once I have a rythem down.

Kicks9

KittySlayer, August 17, 2011 at 11:38 am

kicks9 said: …start in the big, stand up at the start and get rolling then work though the back gears once I have a rythem down. Kicks9

Go big or go home. Just use a large cog in the back (i.e. 23t). Many TTs will have a holder so roll up and let them hold your saddle so you have both feet clipped in at the start. Get there early if they are using a holder and ask to practice a couple of starts while being held.

Hint for your computer assuming you use one. After the guy in front of you starts roll up to the start line. Put you wheels computer magnet down so the nipple of the spoke the magnet is attached to is closest to the ground. Now reset your computer so that all your values are zero. With the magnet down it will stay at zero until you start rolling. Many people get there, reset, but their computer but the magnet is to close to the receiver and they get a “false start” on their data recording before the actual start.

SFC JKL 2, August 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Steady is the key.  I like to focus more on my heart monitor than anything else.  That way i make sure not to burn out too early.  That doesn’t mean save something for the end, more like save it for the second half.

Pay attention to the wind.  If you’re doing a turn around, save a little more for the return trip if you start off with a tailwind.

kicks9, August 18, 2011 at 7:05 am

About what I expected 20.2mph.  Not great by any standards, but what I expected since this is only my 2nd ride since RAGBRAI.  Definately have room to build on and improve.  I am sure if I worked on my position on the bike I could pick it up another mph easy.  Thanks everyone for the help.

Kicks9

psu333, August 18, 2011 at 8:59 am

Have you been training for a TT?  Just my opinion – training for a TT is a whole lot different than training for Ragbrai.  Ragbrai training, is long, steady, slower rides (2-4 hours).  TT training, includes shorter rides with speed intervals on the flats (with aero bars).

After all my training rides for Ragbrai and then riding in Ragbrai, I would do horrible at a TT because I didn’t do any speed/flat work.

Good luck on your next TT!!

I live near Charlotte NC.  We have TT on Charlotte Motor Speedway – home of Nascar’s Coca Cola 600 and the fall 500 race.  It is pretty cool to ride the track!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters