RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Tire availability

My charter service recommended everyone bring a spare tire. Is that really necessary? I’m bringing a touring bike with 26 inch by 1 1/2 inch tires and would expect if I would need a replacement, I’d be able to get one with all the bike shops involved.

7 Replies

Sandaltan ., July 18, 2018 at 4:21 pm

I have never brought a spare tire and don’t know anyone else that has. Never. A 35 X 559 tire is common so should you blow one replacements will be available.

RIDE RIGHT

hnschipper, July 18, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Is your charter recommending a tire or a tube? I’ve had to have a tire replaced once on RAGBRAI, but a bike shop was able to accommodate that. I carry a spare tube in my bike bag, but have never brought a spare tire.

Mike Howe, July 18, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Spare tire like a bike tire or the kind you carry around your waste after too much food, beer, pies, etc?

I kid i kid.

I think your charter meant spare tubes in case you get a flat.

Sam, July 18, 2018 at 5:16 pm

I have three tubes in the bike bag, but it’s never occurred to me to pack a tire.

Mark Keele, July 20, 2018 at 9:43 am

Hi Roger,
With your large tires (fully inflated) the odds are in your favor not to get a flat let alone require a new tire. Carry only one tube and air only then replace. The bike shops are convenient and fair.

MK

tacook, July 20, 2018 at 11:03 am

Agree with carrying a spare tube. No need for a tire. The bike shops have them. The year we needed a new one for our tandem, the RAGBRAI traveling bike shop for that town had one. We were back on the road in no time!

Also, the bike shops on RAGBRAI don’t price gauge. Their prices are on par with what they would be in their brick and mortar store.

Kelli Libby, July 20, 2018 at 11:36 am

Lost and found adventures recommends all of our riders carry a spare tube due to the fact that when you’re out there on the route there’s not always a bike shop along the route and the Ragbrai riders are great about helping you change a tire tube if you need to.
Once in a while you also run into the fact that a tire shop is out of the size of spare tube you need.
Lost and found adventures also carries numerous pairs that we can buy from the charter at cost if you use your spare tube.
Hope this helps.
Have a great ride.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI