RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Tire stem problem

Hi all,
Here to report a solution to a problem that I should have solved years ago. I have deep rims and use valve extenders. When my tube is completely flat the extender does not stick out far enough for the pump to get a good grab. I’ve been pumping until the nozzle pops off and then try to get a better bite for the next try. I’ve just realized that I can push the valve stem out using a thumb or finger on the tire opposite the valve stem. With the stem fully out I can get a good grab with the pump. I could get longer extensions, but I avoid as much rolling weight as I can. I hope there is at least one of you that this helps.

2 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, May 14, 2023 at 4:12 pm

Seriously, just how much rolling weight would a valve extender add?  

This reminds me of the weight-saving craze of the seventies, when steel was real and a sub-thirty pound bike was something only professional cyclists could aspire to.  As a result, drilled-out equipment – brake levers, chain rings, crank spiders, brake arms, derailleur cages, and even rims – were all the rage in the quest to bring down weight.  I even saw a water bottle that some guy had drilled out (he used a plastic baggie as a liner so it still held liquid).  

My opinion is, don’t sweat it.  Have one less brewski or Gatorade per day, and you’ll end up saving far more weight than a whole handful of valve extenders.

-“BB”-

This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by "Bicycle Bill".

LawnchairMan, May 14, 2023 at 7:35 pm

Yeah, I’ve been a weight weenie. I still am, but not as much as I used to be. At home I ride with two taillights, but I have been doing Ragbrai with one for the weight. I think I will do two this year. I already have the valve extenders, and now know how to avoid my problem, so I will stick with them. Thanks for the advice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters