too soon for next year?

North! (unless it’s central)
Hawarden
Sibley
Esterville
Forest City
Osage
Cresco
Waukon (Finally my last county, come on T.J. )
Guttenberg

38 Replies

cyduke, August 4, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Akron
Mapleton
Lake City
Camp Dodge-Johnston
Nevada
New Hampton
Elkader
Lansing.

There’s only 15 overnight-start-ending towns I haven’t stayed in yet. This route would take care of 8 of them.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 4, 2016 at 7:43 pm

If you’re correct on your route (or at least the last three days), Skunky, I am *

SO

* going to be there!!!!

-“BB”-

Amanda, August 5, 2016 at 8:07 am

I say ditto to Skunky’s route!! Only 351 days! Can’t wait!!!

Michrider !!!, August 5, 2016 at 9:01 am

Amanda: I say ditto to Skunky’s route!! Only 351 days! Can’t wait!!!

Maybe we can all stop at the home of Princess Amanda and Norman, for breakfast & bloody marys!!!!

Brian Wallenburg, August 5, 2016 at 6:38 pm

I’m hopeful for a northern route too. No hospital in Akron, so throw that town out for a start town, not to mention it’s really small! Population is less than 1500.

jake d, August 7, 2016 at 5:38 pm

I’m with you Skunky. After crossing off Louisa County this year, Allamakee is my last county as well. Logistically I’m not sure if Waukon could be an overnight.

Cresco to Waukon is easy enough, but Waukon is at the crossroads of Hwy 76 &
Hwy 9. If they could find a way to keep everything west of the main intersection in town, along A52 it might be possible to stay there. The question is how do we get south to Guttenburg without shutting down one of the major highways south of there.
I’m jealous because my wife has all 99 counties because she finished in Lansing on RAGBRAI V when she was 11 years old.

Come on TJ, you’re the Wizard

This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  jake d.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 8, 2016 at 1:02 am

Y’know, it might be possible to include Allamakee County again, if they end in Marquette — BUT GO THROUGH LANSING FIRST!  It’s about 35 miles from Decorah (which has shown it can handle us for an overnight) to Lansing; and then roughly another 25 miles south on Allamakee County X52 and Iowa 76 to Marquette/MacGregor.  Some people would figure that they’ve hit the river at Marquette and call it quits there, especially since there are still two major hills in the last 25 miles on the Iowa 76/Allamakee X52 route; and once you get to Marquette there is a hospital and easy access both east (to Wisconsin) and west (back into Iowa) from on US 18.

It’s just that for those people who *DID* continue on to Marquette, you’d end up spread out over a heckuva a large area up and down the river from Effigy Mounds to MacGregor, as the various teams, clubs, and large charter groups try to find a large enough place to use as a rallying point.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see some groups cross the river to Wisconsin and use St. Feriole Island Park in Prairie du Chien as their meet-up point.

-“BB”-

trknight, August 8, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Onawa and Missori Valley seem to be overdue to be start towns which could give us a nice central route, all north of I-80 and mostly south of US Hwy 20. Ames hasn’t been an overnight for a long time and maybe we could finish in Dubuque after another climb up Potter Hill (a popular walk among some)!!

jake d, August 8, 2016 at 8:12 pm

BB, in a perfect cycling world your route would be fantastic. However, going thru Lansing or Marquette is logistically next to impossible given the size of the ride and the layout of the towns .
I was thinking something more like Cresco-Waukon, Waukon-West Union, West Union to Guttenburg.
Any way you go it gets a little convoluted in that part of the state because the roads don’t exactly go N-S-E-W.

TJ, The challenge has been thrown down. Work your magic.

mootsman, August 9, 2016 at 7:09 am

North would be in keeping with RAGBRAI’s normal rotation. And Michrider said before last year’s RAP that he heard Hawarden would be the start town. His prediction though of it being for 2016 was a year early. It makes sense they figure out the overnight towns more than a year in advance. It would be nice to have 3 or more not so dinky towns. Like a population of 20k or more.

jwsknk, August 9, 2016 at 8:29 am

I’d like to see Ames in 2018. the road to Gilbert might be paved by then for a new way north out of town. a couple of other major construction projects should be done by then too. Camp south of the stadium and over by the vet school. RV’s in one of the stadium lots. concert in the Jack.

KenH, August 9, 2016 at 8:43 am

My wife and I spent a few days in Decorah and it is a lovely town, I’d love to overnight there in 2017! But they tend to have their Nordic festival the same week as RAGBRAI and while that apparently worked in the past it does complicate things for them considerably.

KenH, August 9, 2016 at 8:48 am

I just checked and Nordic Fest is during RAGBRAI next year but that raises an interesting question for people who want route clues. Would Nordic Fest consider moving their date to accommodate RAGBRAI? Hmmm, if you ever were to see Nordic Fest scheduled a week early or late during a year when you suspect the route will go north you might want to place your money on Decorah!

ppayne1959, August 15, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I am hoping for a longer ride next year. Here is a list. Central route and all very nice towns.

Onawa
Panora
Indianola
Grinnell
Mount Vernon
Maquoketa
Clinton

All together about 450-460 miles. The only trouble is Wednesday and Thursday are long days so the short day needs to be Tuesday or Friday.

cyduke, August 15, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Heck, we once ended on an island and I don’t recall that day being any worse than any other last day we’ve had so really just about anything is possible. With that I say Lansing or Marquette!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014