too soon for next year?

North! (unless it’s central)
Hawarden
Sibley
Esterville
Forest City
Osage
Cresco
Waukon (Finally my last county, come on T.J. )
Guttenberg

38 Replies

jake d, August 15, 2016 at 8:44 pm

The island finish was Sabula on RAGBRAI XXVI. The ride was much smaller then, and Sabula had the advantage of being on less traveled crossroads. However, they did manage to ferry most of the riders across the river to Savanna Illinois. There were some considerable delays, but it all worked out in the end.

Since TJ has taken over he has put his signature on this ride and dared to be different. I sill think Cresco-Waukon-West Union-Guttenburg would be a very doable finish.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 15, 2016 at 9:15 pm

The island finish was Sabula on RAGBRAI XXVI.  The ride was much smaller then…..

The ride wasn’t that much smaller (you wanna talk small, ask me about RAGBRAI VI or VII); and while it could have been a lot worse, Sabula was a huge pain in the tuchis.  As I recall the only vehicles allowed to enter the town itself were the ones with the official RAGBRAI vehicle sticker (one of the very first times I had actually seen this being enforced!); otherwise personal sags, etc. had to park back on the Iowa side or continue on to Savanna on the Illinois side.  Riders who did go out to the island for the tire-dipping ritual then had to pedal back to the Iowa side to hook up with their rides or wait for a ferry to get them to Savanna; either that or take their chances out on US 52 — which was probably as busy that day as it had ever been.

-“BB”-

Amanda, August 16, 2016 at 8:07 am

I would like to see a short day on Saturday similar to this year’s. It made the day much nicer and didn’t feel rushed. Even though we stayed over night, we did need to get in to send a bike back with another group.

jake d, August 16, 2016 at 8:58 pm

BB I’m sorry that you, and many others, had such a lousy finish in Sabula. I based my comments on our experience and that of other riders we talked to later. Obviously there was a whole other side of the story for some riders.

As for the size of the ride, at the time there were still towns that would get volunteers to count the riders, and it usually came in between 10-12 thousand. I checked my old journals entries to verify that. Compared to this years 18K average, I would consider that significantly smaller.

I realize, in no way does that compares to the numbers on VI and VII. For that that debate you’ll have to talk to my wife. She started on III.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 17, 2016 at 1:27 am

In truth, Jake, my finish wasn’t that bad.  Back then I was still riding with Rainbow Cyclists out of Waterloo/Cedar Falls, and we had all the appropriate passes and permits to get our gear trucks and buses into Sabula.  I’m talking more about the increasing number of people who figure that they can come to RAGBRAI with a pick’m-up truck and a trailer or a Class ‘A’ Winnebago, disregard (or were unable to get) a vehicle pass, but still plan on finding some way to shoehorn themselves into the campgrounds.

-“BB”-

Amanda, August 17, 2016 at 7:48 am

Ad in the Orange City paper was asking people to come and learn about the potential for Orange City to be the host starting town for 2017 RAGBRAI. I guess Orange City really wants us to start there.

First time I have ever seen anything like that.

Amanda, August 17, 2016 at 7:50 am

Ad

ARRGHHHHH Mich – help- I forgot how to post photos AGAIN!

jwsknk, August 17, 2016 at 8:11 am

Orange City? will they roll up the sidewalks at midnight or have things loosened up? can we just camp at your place?

Michrider !!!, August 17, 2016 at 11:09 am

For my friend Princess Amanda!!!
1. Upload pic to Photobucket or some other online site
2. Copy code from “Direct” box
3. Open img box above
4. paste code into the line that says “enter the URL of the image”
5. Hit OK
6. close prompt box & we have a picture!!!

Michrider !!!, August 17, 2016 at 11:14 am

null

Amanda, August 17, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Ad in paper

Not sure how it would work. Some people think Alton should go in with Orange City and have the beer garden in Alton. I am going to the meeting because I am nosy!

How many skunks are there? I would have to clear it with Norman – the big dog!

This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  Amanda.

Amanda, August 17, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Thanks Mich!

jwsknk, August 17, 2016 at 3:25 pm

🙂 only 115-120. and mostly clean and fresh smelling too (I mean, they’ve been on a bus ride, how bad could it be?)

Michrider !!!, August 17, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Amanda: Thanks Mich!

Amanda, look at the picture I posted. I just noticed 2 women running across the street! Is that you and Donna???

jake d, August 17, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Amanda, you just gave me the starting town for my winning entry in the guess the route contest.

Orange City – Spencer – Algona – Eagle Grove – Iowa Falls-
Charles City – West Union – Guttebburg

Sorry Skunky, we’ll have to wait another year to cross off Allamakee.
Hope I’m wrong.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014