Traffic control in Davenport abysmal

After giving up on the 1/4 long line to dip our tires, we proceeded to our groups assigned staging location. Little did we know that would be a 4 mile gauntlet to North Park Mall onto Hwy 61 / Brady St..

Forcing riders onto a 4 lane one way road with cars zipping by at 45 mph is nothing short of asininely negligent. That kind of total disregard for riders safety should not be tolerated. We heard later that a rider from another group was hit on that stretch and they started shuttling riders from downtown.

It’s one thing for a town to come up short on services, but when it comes to safety there is no excuse. If that is the best Davenport can do, RAGBRAI should seriously consider whether to let them host in the future.

19 Replies

Brian Wallenburg, August 6, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Nothing different from the last time a few years ago. I’m a fan of small towns for RAGBRAI. Big cities could care less if we pass through them or stay overnight. Small river towns like Bellevue are my favorite!

Brian Tanner, August 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Clarification, replying to the OP:

Might have wanted to take advantage of the shuttle that was running from near the dip site to the North Park Mall. Though one of the bike trucks had broken down and some had to take their bikes up into the bus with them instead.

I thought the dip spot line looked long but it actually moved pretty quickly all things considered. I don’t think I had to wait too long and I was there at 12:30.

jake d, August 8, 2018 at 5:11 pm

On the last day most people are on a schedule determined not by them, but their charter. The last thing they want is the hassle of waiting on shuttle or bike truck. Especially given the extra miles we were treated to just getting there.
Had we been told that the shuttle was not just a matter of convenience, but in fact you would be risking life or death on streets none of us would ever ride on otherwise; I might have opted for the shuttle.
Simple fact, they screwed up and someone got hurt as a direct result.

Brian Tanner, August 10, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Not sure where the communication breakdown occurred…
My own experience is that I was advised in advance the previous week by my charter about the shuttle situation primarily due to safety and the 4 miles of hills.
I also had a set time to make it to my charter, and was concerned about having to wait. However, I planned accordingly to get to the dip site with plenty of time to spare and the shuttle wait wasn’t too long

Viewing 4 replies - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI