Registration deadline extended to April 15 for weeklong rider, weeklong non-rider, and vehicles passes!

Training

Just over 1000 miles done and dusted and 11 pounds sent packing. I feel good.

47 Replies

Jboz, May 18, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Maybe 150 so far…same old story, weather and work. But I will be ready.

Roy Trent, May 18, 2017 at 7:15 pm

I have been fortunate this year to get in some early miles. I topped 1100 miles this week with 30,000 ft of climbing. My wife has about 500 miles in so far. Taking today and tomorrow off to rest for Saturday’s TORSV(tosrv56.org) ride. We are only doing the first 100 miles and will pass on the second 100 on Sunday. We are not quite ready for back to back 100 mile days. This is a very flat valley route so it should be fairly easy.

Our first RAGBRAI but I think we will be ready!

W Fanning, May 18, 2017 at 7:24 pm

It’s been a busy 2017.. I never underestimate a challenge.. This will be my first RAGBRAI.. So I’ll be honest I’m training… on Saturday I’ll pass a 1000 miles.. have 42,000 feet of climbing.. since January.. I do it.. so I can enjoy myself.. and everything Iowa has to offer… be safe.. see you in Orange City…

Craig Parson, May 24, 2017 at 12:40 pm

I have no computer to track mileage I just go by how hard I am able to push while I recover after a climb. Based on that I would say I am ready as far as cardio. My training so far is almost 100 percent dirt and gravel miles. Is 100 miles of mud and climbing still 100 miles, who knows?

I just got a bigger seat bag so I can commute more easily so that will get me 50 miles a day soon enough weather permitting. Making huge progress on my long distance wheelie also, not useful on Ragbrai but it makes me grin (took 39 years to figure it out even halfway decent).

This year is all fatbike since I am going to be riding a someone else’s Comotion tandem, sight unseen, this year and not a recumbent bike. My fatbike is the only normal looking machine I own to get my nether region leathered up. This fatbike just make me smile, it is not fast but those tires make a great noise above 20.

I am getting very excited about Ragbrai…………….

andytetmeyer, May 24, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Now that I have a GPS, there are numbers: 93000 feet so far. should be adequate for a flat ride.

Dockat, May 25, 2017 at 7:08 am

When do you start counting the miles?

KenH, May 25, 2017 at 7:36 am

January 1!

andytetmeyer, May 26, 2017 at 10:40 am

Crap! Just realized I have not even started to work on my wheelie!

Jonathan Rosenberg, May 29, 2017 at 3:55 pm

This will be my first RAGBRAI. I started to commute to work this year, it is about 30 miles daily. That leaves me at about 1400 miles this year, and 11000 Feet of climb. Honestly, that is more than I thought it would be. I feel like I am ready, but I am doing a 24 hour “race” (read that fun ride that some people race in) with 4 friends. I also am doing a century with two days in a state park, and then another 100 miles to return. I want to know for sure I am not going to just fall apart when I get out on the Iowa roads.

Cameron Cranston, May 29, 2017 at 10:50 pm

My daughter, son-in-law, and I did about 20 miles a week for the 3 months prior. longest ride we did was 65 miles. All of it in flat, flat Florida and we did fine in the hilly south last year. Walked a few times but made it the whole way.

Jeff Cecil, June 5, 2017 at 8:30 am

I’m up to 2037 miles not counting miles on rides over 100 miles that my bike computer runs out of battery juice on. This will be my first attempt at Ragbrai. I’m 50 yo originally from St. Ansgar. Now living and riding in Southern California.

KenH, June 5, 2017 at 11:23 am

I’m at 765 for the year and still on track to get in 1000 to 1200 by the start of RAGBRAI. Yesterday I did the metric loop of the annual McHenry County (IL) Bicycle Club’s Udder Century which ended up being 73 miles for me since it had a new start/end point this year that was an easy bike ride from my house so my ride for the day started and ended in my driveway. It was quite warm for the day which limited my performance and more importantly helped me get started with adapting to the likely conditions in Iowa during the last week of July!

Given that I am pleased with how it went for me and it was a nice ride with three friends and maybe 1500 friendly strangers. One of us had trouble with a leaky tube and while we were stopped for that a woman stopped about 50 feet behind us. Passing riders asked her if she needed help before we could and she replied that it was nothing, just a loose screw. I then called back to her and asked if she wanted to borrow a wrench. She accepted that offer with some enthusiasm so I even got in some training as a Ride Right Ambassador. The snacks at the rest stops were nice enough but there were no opportunities to get in any pie-, ice cream-, or church dinner-eating training! I don’t imbibe myself but no craft beer tents either.

For all that it is a nice pre-RAGBRAI training ride for anyone who lives in northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin and is looking for one. They have loops of 30, 50, 63, 76, and 100 miles, well marked and well patrolled with SAG wagons. If you are nearby give it a thought next year! I’d have gone for a longer loop and potentially struggled more with the heat if is not also scheduled the same day as our church choir’s annual year end concert. I had to be sure to get home in time to sing in that, mission accomplished there too.

Luv 2 Ski, June 5, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Ken,

My son and I rode the Udder yesterday as well. It was a great day and good training for RAGBRAI, heat and head winds.

We rode the 76 mile loop and when we got back to the collage the temp was 89 degrees, and our miles were at 78. By far the hottest day of riding for us this year. As you experienced, 18.8 miles out of the first 26.9 were directly into the constant head wind coming from the west. Then a lot of cross wind going north on the way out and south on the way home. Luckily the wind did not change and we got some push from the wind at our backs whenever we turned east on the way home. That did make for a fun ride coming back to the college. As I have said to my son many times the only way to prepare for what wind can do to you both physically and mentally is to ride in it and yesterday was one of those days.

Yesterday’s ride put me over 155 for the week and I just crossed the 500 mile mark since the beginning of May. With six full weeks left for training I should hit my goal of 1,200 by the ride.

KenH, June 5, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Hey, we might have seen each other then, George, without knowing it! There were a fair number of folks wearing RAGBRAI jerseys and I would think a few of them are planning on coming this year. A friend from work was also there with another group. They did 100 miles in six hours where it took us 7ish to do 63 so they were cooking compared to us!

Geoff Butland, June 11, 2017 at 3:28 pm

I officially crossed the 1,000 mile mark this week with 143 hot and humid miles. That catches me up with the Excel sheet mileage target. I’m at 22,500 feet of elevation gain for the year. Regrettably there have not been any pie training opportunities, but I hear it’s like riding a bicycle – you never forget how to eat pie.

Cheers

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI