RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Training…and so it began.

So I started training a few weeks ago, for my first Ragbrai, with a few 5-10 mile rides. Mixed in going to the gym as it was still cold…still is. Felt like I was making progress and all x!#* broke lose. Now, gyms are closed so no going there. Question…What is everyone doing to train in the hopes Ragbrai isn’t cancelled? I’m still riding and did my first 15 miler the other day but I’m looking for ideas on days riding isn’t in the cards. Thanks and ride on!!

24 Replies

Larry Klaaren, April 1, 2020 at 9:12 am

I was 65 when I did my first RAGBRAI, and it was a cold start, I hadn’t ridden for a few years. I decided in May that if I was ever going to do it, then I should do it that year. Due to family and church obligations and my job, I was only able to ride three days a week and worked up to 15, 20, and 40 miles and only rode if the weather was OK. I had 510 miles on my speedometer when I drove to Davenport. I did fine and had no real problems besides butt soreness on Thursday, which was a long day. You can do this. Ragbrai is three or four 10-20 mile rides most days and you have twelve hours to get it done, with a lot of opportunities to take a break and fuel up. Most days I left about 6:30 and was in the host town by two or three.

cheymtn70, April 1, 2020 at 9:56 am

I had a bad summer last year. I racked my knee up on the first of June playing tennis. With the swelling, I couldn’t bike at all. Finally had the knee drained about 10 days before the start of RAGBRAI. Put in 10-20 miles of training before the Sunday start. The first couple of days were interesting, but not too bad. Rode the whole route (I’m 66 years old). The weather was almost ideal last year – we can quibble about Sunday out of CB (actually the last three years have been just about perfect – for Iowa). Just remember, pace yourself. 10 miles eat/drink 10 miles eat/drink 10 miles eat/drink. That’s RAGBRAI – 10 miles eat/drink.

Eric Strobel, April 1, 2020 at 8:35 pm

These are all great tips and I’m inspired by what some folks are doing right now. Amanda, 32 miles this time of year is great! I will be up to about 200 miles a week beginning the end of June. I’m also doing some great hiking up some steep hills around here. Honestly this is fun getting back in shape and hopefully Ragbrai will still be on. But if not, heck, I’ll be in that much better shape for 2021 Ragbrai…Ride on…

Larry Klaaren, April 2, 2020 at 9:37 am

If RAGBRAI gets cancelled it would be a good year to take a week off and ride some of the trails I hear about but can’t get to on my weekend trips to Iowa, such as the High Trestle Trail, and the Root River Trails up in Lanesboro, Minnesota. There are some gravel roads that could be ridden around my home town also. On my trips to the nursing home my dad is in, I always have to cross a trail that runs from Keota to Washington, that would be a good one to ride just because I cross it so often. Stuff like that. Just my idea.
Oops, I thought I was in a different forum, but I will leave this here. Those are some things to train toward if there is no RAGBRAI.

Eric Strobel, April 6, 2020 at 8:14 pm

I certainly hope Ragbrai doesn’t get cancelled but if it does…Ride on. I finally started riding after a 20 year hiatus…and that was the year I rode coast to coast…so much fun. My training continues and I’m learning to repair flats quicker. I’ve had two so far. Any recommendations on tubes and tires to use to help with that issue??

Jboz, April 6, 2020 at 9:34 pm

[quote quote=1317444]Any recommendations on tubes and tires to use to help with that issue??[/quote]

Hi Eric…depends on what’s causing your flats. Have you ruled out pinch flats? Do you ride in an area with lots of thorns? What are your current tires, and what PSI do you typically run? Your 20 year hiatus…new tires and tubes, or the old ones? Some clarity will help guide the right recommendations.

Sandaltan ., April 6, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Eric Strobel: Schwalbe tubes and tires for us. Especially the tubes.

RIDE RIGHT

Eric Strobel, April 8, 2020 at 8:46 pm

I ride 25 tires and just switched to the gel filled tubes by panacera. Also switched to the Gator tires as well and keep psi around 105. Not to thrilled with those tubes right now. Sandaltan I will check out your recommendations. Thanks.

Eric Strobel, April 11, 2020 at 2:59 pm

Oh Yea…just finished my first 20 mile ride and I feel really good. Next week we’ll go 30 and back it up with a 20 miler…Sure hope this ride doesn’t get cancelled.

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI