RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Training break.

So far this season I have about 900 miles in the seat, I am fortunate to be able to winter where its warm and will probably have another 900 miles by April. The problem is that I have to take six weeks off starting in late April. No bikes but plenty of walking in the time off. I should be back in the saddle the second week of June. Is this going to be a problem or should I be able to do Ragbrai?

3 Replies

jelly0317, October 18, 2021 at 3:57 pm

You’ll be fine.

LawnchairMan, October 18, 2021 at 5:05 pm

Steve.
It’s hard to evaluate your projected fitness level with the information given. Ragbrai training coaches usually advise you to do 1000 miles before the start of Ragbrai, but that’s over three months. Cramming that into five or six weeks would be tough. Were I in your place I would start with 75 miles the first week and up it 25 each week. I think that would give you 625 miles in five weeks. It’s not a thousand, but it’s reasonable, and you don’t want to burn yourself out.
This is without considering your Winter / Spring training. If you can do more than 900 miles at that time, then more of your conditioning will carry over your break. The walking will help too. You will do a lot of that at Ragbrai.
It also depends on how you do Ragbrai. Have you done it before? Routes are officially open 12 hours each day, so you could break each into 15-mile chunks with a rest between. I recommend riding with a club to get used to riding with others. Pacelines aren’t advised at Ragbrai, but even one person ahead of you can shield you from some of the headwinds. Typical Ragbrai average speeds are ten to twelve mph, so you should find others riding your speed.
So, without knowing more, I’d say that you could do it. The more training you get the easier and enjoyable Ragbrai will feel. Good luck!

This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by LawnchairMan.

Larry Klaaren, October 19, 2021 at 9:05 am

You’ll be fine. I have never had more than 400 miles before the start of RAGBRAI, and can do training rides only on Wednesdays and Sundays, and I don’t really get all that fatigued on the ride. I am 67 years old. You may need to take a break in the middle of a long, hot, hilly, day, but if you are in that kind of shape going into the break, I think you will be able to get right back in shape fairly quickly. Will you be able to do core work during your sabbatical from riding? I believe having a strong core is a huge help when piling up miles.

This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Larry Klaaren.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI