Traveling to RAGBRAI via Airplane

I am trying to figure out the best airports to get to Iowa.
I know the route is not out yet but is there a charter service that will pick up and return to Des Moines Iowa? LAX has non- stop into there and it seems you can bring your bike for free now.

In a perfect world fly near the start town and fly out near the end town but I will not have a car.
Thanks
Ken

17 Replies

Mike Howe, December 5, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Yes there are several charters that offer shuttle buses to and from the des moines airports as well as other airports such as the airport in Omaha. Depending on what the start and end town is, there might be airports that are closer than the des moines airport or might have better selection of flights.

Sandaltan ., December 5, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Yes, Bike World runs a charter out of Des Moines. I would wait until the route is announced and then make my charter choice.
https://www.bikeworldiowa.com/events/ragbrai-pg936.htm

RIDE RIGHT

Larry Klaaren, December 5, 2019 at 1:30 pm

As implied above, you may find it much more convenient to use the Sioux City or Omaha airports depending on the start town.

klkoopman, December 6, 2019 at 6:57 am

A ticket to any airport other than Omaha or Des Moines must cost a fortune from LAX, right? If you want to purchase a ticket soon I’d simply book Des Moines. As the largest urban area there are many options for charters to take you the rest of the way. Des Moines will always be located (roughly) halfway to the start town and, don’t forget, halfway to the end town.

Larry Klaaren, December 6, 2019 at 12:02 pm

If he wants to purchase before the route announcement I would agree to flying to Des Moines. Otherwise it is easy to check prices once the end cities are known. I am thinking nine of the likely end cities are close to a suitable airport, so may need to look into what the shuttle costs would be.

BillSpriggs, December 6, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Omaha will be the cheapest. I usually get routed on Southwest through LAX. Omaha is also the closest to the start town. There are several charters that provide shuttles from Omaha to the start town and back to Omaha at the end of the ride.

Papa T, December 6, 2019 at 8:10 pm

You can always fly to Ohare, take
Metra to Union station and catch Amrtrack through Iowa. Train stops a burlington, Ottumwa and Omaha. Just sayin!

Ken Koprowski, December 6, 2019 at 10:31 pm

thanks – i am going to wait until towns but at least I have the good info now

Ken Koprowski, December 6, 2019 at 10:32 pm

or just have you pick me up!!!!!

Logan Foltz, December 6, 2019 at 10:45 pm

Amtrak was a nightmare last year. Was up all night Saturday due to storms and trees on the tracks, barely even made it to the truck in Council Bluffs at 8AM Sunday. Never again!

Sexton, December 7, 2019 at 6:41 am

If the pattern continues, this year will be a northern route. Consider the airport at Sioux Falls SD. Fly into there on the Friday before, Spend the night, and ride to the start town on Saturday. I’ve done that twice now.

Larry Klaaren, December 7, 2019 at 10:37 am

Slightly off-topic, but on last years southern route, we were very near I-80 the whole first day, then dipped a little south, then north of I-80, then to within four miles of the Missouri border, back north to Fairfield, then down to the very southern point of the state, about a mile from Missouri. Since I-80 is sort of the line between northern and southern Iowa, although I would say that you have to get below 92 and really 34, to start to call it southern Iowa, it goes to show anything is possible.

It is possible, since we have new director and some new factors since last years statement that this would most likely be a northern ride, that RAGBRAI could do a different part of the state to be on a different sequence than another ride. It would be understandable.

I am from southern Iowa, but I would love to go through that Decorah area, Spillville, and on along the northern border.

This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Larry Klaaren.

This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Larry Klaaren.

rjjensenia, December 7, 2019 at 9:49 pm

I have never shipped my bike. How much does it cost to ship a bike coast to coast?

jpclark7, December 15, 2019 at 7:17 pm

“LAX has non- stop into there and it seems you can bring your bike for free now.”

1. Prove it!!!
2. What airline???

I’ve paid 150 ALL.THE.TIME. >:O

(I’ll wait…). 🙂

Ken Koprowski, December 15, 2019 at 10:36 pm

Southwest. – I did it from Denver to Burbank round trip last year. But I had a bike box.
They seem the best to deal with

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015