RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Trying to find a team for first RAGBRAI

I was talking with a buddy out here in Afghanistan and he was telling me about this RAGBRAI.  I started doing some research on it and it looks like a total blast.  I really want to do this, but I would really like to find a team to ride with.  It will be the time that I am just getting out of the Marine Corps and what better way to celebrate.  Any advice for finding a team to ride with?  I am 24 and just like every other Marine, we like to party hard.

9 Replies

jwsknk, September 8, 2011 at 7:50 am

What part of the country are you from?
Try contacting a bike shop from your area they may know local groups (s) you could hook up with once you get back.
Also you can just throw your bag on the register semis whicj load in the main gampgrounds, After a couple of days on the ride you may just happen to hook up with a group, it’s surprising that in a group of over 10,000 cyclists you can run into the same people day after day.
Self-contained is another option if you have the panniers and a bike that can carry the load.

pHIlo, September 8, 2011 at 9:58 am

I saw a number of Devil Dogs on the road this year … always good to get some ‘good for you ..’ going while cruisin!

You know that the DoN has a team: Team Navy.  Army & Air Force field informal teams/groups too.

Semper Fi

Stl_Cards_fan, September 8, 2011 at 10:16 pm

jwsknk said: What part of the country are you from? Try contacting a bike shop from your area they may know local groups (s) you could hook up with once you get back. Also you can just throw your bag on the register semis whicj load in the main gampgrounds, After a couple of days on the ride you may just happen to hook up with a group, it’s surprising that in a group of over 10,000 cyclists you can run into the same people day after day. Self-contained is another option if you have the panniers and a bike that can carry the load.

I am from St. Louis.
I will contact some local bike shops to see if they can help me out.  I was thinking of just thowing my bag on the semi, but I would really like to know some people before I go up there.  That way I am not just riding by myself.

tjdale, September 9, 2011 at 6:45 am

Contact Nancy Williams navcat17@sbcglobal.net concerning Team Navy

jwsknk, September 9, 2011 at 7:18 am

at least 1 charter runs out of St Louis,

PADRE’S CYCLE INN
Phone: 573-721-4400
Web site: <FONT color=#333399>padrescycleinn.com</FONT>

thought there was more, seems like someone on here hooked up with one there. Was it Michrider a year or two ago?

Don’t worry about not knowing anybody, hang out here awhile and it will seem as if you know several although we have a terrible time of actually connecting (in a group anyway) on the ride.

Michrider !!!, September 9, 2011 at 7:39 am

jwsknk said: at least 1 charter runs out of St Louis,

PADRE’S CYCLE INNPhone: 573-721-4400Web site: <FONT color=#333399>padrescycleinn.com</FONT>

thought there was more, seems like someone on here hooked up with one there. Was it Michrider a year or two ago?

Don’t worry about not knowing anybody, hang out here awhile and it will seem as if you know several although we have a terrible time of actually connecting (in a group anyway) on the ride.

Yes, it was me! In 2010, I went with them when Padre and Bubba teamed up and ran out of St Louis.  In 2011, Padre once again operated from St Louis. Padre is a good guy! 

http://www.padrescycleinn.com/

You should check out my favorite charter, Porkbelly Ventures!!!!

http://www.pkbelly.com/

Stl_Cards_fan, September 10, 2011 at 8:59 am

Thanks everyone,I will check those sites out.

RAGRider, September 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Pete and Tammy of Pork Belly Ventures will take good care of ya. I’ve ridden with them for many years.  

Michrider !!!, September 10, 2011 at 2:28 pm

RAGRider said: Pete and Tammy of Pork Belly Ventures will take good care of ya. I’ve ridden with them for many years.  

Yes, Tammy, Pete and the PBV crew are the bestest!!!!!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters