PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Turn by turn directions for Garmin?

Is there a way of getting the turn by turn directions uploaded into a Garmin?

29 Replies

orion12521, March 25, 2018 at 4:40 pm

On the 2016 route, on the century loop, there was no signage, the number of riders was thin (still early in the day) and no one directing traffic to head back South to re-enter the route between Confidence and Walnut City. I missed the turn and had to back track… That said, I’ve done’ 7 RAGBRAIs and that was the only time I’ve ever encountered that situation.

KenH, March 25, 2018 at 6:04 pm

I never pay much attention to the route markings, there are always enough people ahead of me so that either I won’t get lost or I won’t be alone if I do! Except on the gravel loop, I pay more attention there because there are few riders any time of day. There are times when you will see no one ahead of or behind you. Last year we saw someone ahead of us miss a turn but he was so far ahead that we could not shout loud enough for him to hear us and too fast for us to chase him down. Perhaps he was riding a route of his own invention, I hope so because there was nothing we could do to help him. Mostly I find utility in turn by turn electronic maps in answering questions from suffering souls about how many more miles before we turn out of this headwind! We will have to make our own this year, no more Geobike, but someone will do that and post about it. I’ll wait until the pre-ride in June to make one for myself because there could be route adjustments before then, and maybe even after.

mclousing, March 26, 2018 at 3:28 pm

If you wait a while somebody will post their copy of the maps with the turns in it on one of the plentiful mapping apps. You can import those. Or if you are really bored you could do it yourself in garmin connect (create route) based of the maps that were announced a little while ago. Just be warned the maps may change.

jake d, March 26, 2018 at 10:57 pm

I don’t use GPS, I use MAP. That and my bike computer lets me know within +/- a half mile of where I am at all times. But hey, people like there toys and if that’s your thing so be it.
The only thing I ask is don’t try navigating your gadgets, including phones, while you are riding.
Otherwise your GPS might earn you, or someone else, a visit from an EMT and a trip to the ER or the OR.

Tim Tysver, March 27, 2018 at 10:25 am

Based on previous rides when the route takes a US highway with four lanes (like 59 this year just outside Denison) will the ISP move all car traffic to one side of the four lane and open up the southbound for the ride?

KenH, March 27, 2018 at 4:13 pm

They did not do that in 2016 when we took US34 (was it?) for a short bit and it was a mess. The ISP or other police did do traffic control where we turned onto the US highway but neither the cyclists nor the motorists were prepared to cooperate with each other so we had cars and cyclists using both lanes heading east and of course some cyclists felt it was their right to use the westbound lanes too! I think that closing one lane in the direction we are going to motorists and the other lane to cyclists would be a good idea but I’m fairly certain the cyclists would not honor that and I don’t know about the motorists. Hopefully the Register and the ISP have come up with a better plan for when we need to share a busy road with motorists. Frankly, as a group we suck at sharing the roads with motorists and that bothers me.

Tim Tysver, March 27, 2018 at 4:58 pm

Wow, sounds crazy. I figured they would close all one direction to cars and make the other side two lane traffic, much like I-80 during summer construction for miles and miles and miles. I’m guessing they will turn us towards the high school area and it’s only about 2.5 miles on US 59 from IA 141.

Bernard Schwartze, March 28, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Colorado’s Pedal the Plains Ride coned off a lane (sometimes just a shoulder) on a 20+ mile section of the ride on US 34. It made that part of the ride much less stressful. It’s been a while since I’ve been on IA 141/US 59 at Denison so I’m not sure how practical it would be. I’d like to see a dedicated area for bikes coned off.

Andy, March 28, 2018 at 4:14 pm

I created a detailed route, with all the pass through and overnight towns, on ridewithgps.com – RAGBRAI 2018 (Unofficial)

On the page, upper right, click on ‘Export’ to get TCX or GPX files.

This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Andy.

This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Andy.

mrizzer, May 6, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Has anyone put this years ride into some Garmin files yet? Not interested in Mapmyride.

Thanks

This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  mrizzer.

mrizzer, June 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm

bump

Mark Keele, June 6, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Amusing. Three years later after the question was asked and you’re all still giving your valuable insights. Maybe you guys should get out and go for a ride.

mrizzer, June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Amusing. Three years later after the question was asked and you’re all still giving your valuable insights. Maybe you guys should get out and go for a ride.

maybe if you have nothing constructive to add, mind you own business?

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014