Two Ideas for XLVI

1. Offer the opportunity to do a lap or two around the Iowa Motor Speedway after leaving Newton.
2. Head SE out of Iowa City, rather than taking old US 6, and come into Davenport on Hwy 22. Anything would be better than the 2015 route through town.

5 Replies

Martin Fleetwood, January 29, 2018 at 4:28 pm

I would love to come in Davenport on Hwy 22. I live in Buffalo, IA so that would be amazing to go through my town. Although I can’t see the route riding along the river for 7+ miles.

scottonbike, January 29, 2018 at 4:32 pm

I remember taking a lap in Knoxville. I was the fat guy on the recumbent making loud engine noises as I passed people. I had a great laugh even if others did not. I could not talk for a day after that. I would love to take a lap either leaving or entering Newton.

jwsknk, January 30, 2018 at 10:39 am

almost a 70 mile day. West Liberty, Wilton, Montpelirer. Buffalo Davenport? having a river town before the last town last year works out nice, But Lansing was small for a dip site.

KenH, January 30, 2018 at 2:42 pm

1) As mentioned above Knoxville did it in 2013 so I would say there is a chance that Newton would do it.

2) I have no objection to riding along the river for seven miles. I’m just hoping Davenport takes us more seriously this year than they did in 2015 when they pretty much left us in the lurch. We arrived well before the cutoff to find the dip site deadsville and we had to cajole a ride across the river to our car from the shuttle authorities who had already decided to go home for the day but happened to still be around to hear our pleas. I do not want to pre-judge them but I would rather not repeat that experience and I am hoping they have resolved to do better this time.

lm m, January 30, 2018 at 2:56 pm

I agree Davenport is a pro for location, but hope we come in a different way, along the river would be outstanding. And also a better welcoming, show us the same appreciation as the Bix runners.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI