The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

uh oh… this was on Drudgreport today

http://www.kcci.com/article/jefferson-officers-shoot-cats-to-control-feral-population/19760978

10 Replies

Barry Schnoor, April 16, 2018 at 5:21 pm

So we should question the “pulled pork” we eat in Jefferson?

All joking aside, TNR (trap, neuter, release) is a great alternative to this.

mclousing, April 17, 2018 at 7:05 am

OK, not to be become the evil person this year on the net, but why is this really a big issue. If it was a pest animal would people be as upset. I love my cat but there is a difference between my littly kitty that curls up on my lap and ferel cats causing problems in the community. As far as trap neuter release. a bullet is 50 cents the process is 10’s of dollars. I have no issues with that.

Please don’t rail me to much I am entitled to my opinion even when it is in the minority this time.

Chad Frana, April 17, 2018 at 8:19 am

Matthew Lewis
WHY????
Ragbrai!!!!
Maybe not the best place to talk about CATS!

KenH, April 17, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Years ago, perhaps even in the dark ages before the internet, I read a story about a restaurant in Paris that had for years featured exotic game animals on its menu. It had just closed for good and the new owner of the building was doing some remodeling. During that process they uncovered a hidden space somewhere in the building that was just full of cat skeletons….

I fully support people hunting for game that they will eat, even though having tried that myself I find that personally I like neither the killing nor the eating. Beef, pork, and chicken are popular for good reason, in my opinion. And I thoroughly enjoy target shooting, I have no issues with the 2nd ammendment.

But I do not regard any animal as a pest and I would prefer that other means be used to control the effects of wild populations whenever it is truly necessary and economically feasible. Not that RAGBRAI cares or has anything to do with this really!

T. Gap Woo, April 17, 2018 at 1:52 pm

Not to change the subject, but…..

On this past Friday the 13th, the overnight town of Jefferson (and surrounding area) was clobbered by straight line winds in excess of 75-80 mph, followed by large hailstones. There was significant damage to many buildings. The park (possibly the site of many overnight activities/camping) also suffered.

I hope that Jefferson can get everything fixed in time for Ragbrai’s visit.

Remember the flooding in Rock Valley in 2014, just before Ragbrai 42? They did a yeoman’s job of cleaning up and hosting us. Ragbrai’ers opened their hearts and wallets to contribute to the recovery effort. It is my fervent hope that Jefferson sets up collection buckets and that Ragbrai’ers again support a town in need. That is truly in the spirit of Ragbrai.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

mclousing, April 17, 2018 at 9:18 pm

or ragbrai 2010 In Manchester where 1 month prior the town was under water. I remember walking through town talking to the locals and they would point out the waterlines on buildings. The recoverability and tenacity of iowa towns is always intriguing and I hope the best for them all.

reedkennethia, April 18, 2018 at 8:19 am

The Lake Delhi Dam actually failed on 7/24, which was Tuesday of RAGBRAI. Downtown Manchester was under water and there were whispers of somehow trying to get another town in the area to be an emergency host.

Ragbrai Nation, April 19, 2018 at 4:13 pm

Feral cats in most any state sport-kill migratory songbirds and pheasants by the hundreds of thousands! Meaning, they do this, not bcuz they are hungry, but for the simple reason that is what they like to do. The State of Wisconsin conducted a study on the subject about 15 years ago. The state estimated feral cats kill approx. 250,000 songbirds per year in Wisconsin, alone. Take in consideration the overpopulation of those cats and you can easily understand the problem they create and the need to keep their numbers in check.

Chris Harbaugh, April 20, 2018 at 2:48 pm

I live in Jefferson and someone told my wife she thought this was happening. My wife said no way, they would never do that but the news broke the next day. From my understanding Jefferson is adopting the trap, neuter, release mentioned above. T. Gap Woo is correct on the straight line winds but the damage was pretty limited to a Casey’s General Store and surrounding areas. All is good and we will probably order Casey’s pizza tonight!

T. Gap Woo, April 20, 2018 at 6:52 pm

T. Gap Woo is correct on the straight line winds but the damage was pretty limited to a Casey’s General Store and surrounding areas. All is good and we will probably order Casey’s pizza tonight![/quote]

Chris,

I’m glad to hear that the damage is not as bad as first feared. Mrs Woo and I can’t wait to visit Jefferson.

BTW, Casey’s sells a great Iowa strawberry rhubarb wine that pairs well with pizza. Bon appetite!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013