PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Ultra-Distance 2012 RAGBRAI

I am considering putting together a team of riders who would complete the entire course in four days rather than seven.  We would start in the same start town and ride the same route, but start on Wednesday and ride double routes Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, catching up with the pack for the Friday night festivities, and “just” riding a single-distance route on the final day. 

The benefit of such an endeavor would be no competition for hotel rooms in overnight town for the first two days, or we could rent an RV and find a driver who could help us out in case of problems on the road. 

If anybody is interested, give me a shout and we can start discussing the feasibility/logistics of the challenge.

28 Replies

Michrider !!!, January 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Davy Sprocket said: What the heck is the point? Why not just find a good 1-day ride since that is the only amount of time you would be with the main group.  Ragbrai is not mean’t to be a race or endurance challenge.  It is a social event.  The whole point is to soak up the people riding and residing in the towns.  Go race somewhere else and save the money of traveling to Iowa.  If heat was your only issue last year then just do the RV part and enjoy each and every day riding with 15,000 of your closest friends and sleeping in AC at night.

Davy

tryan, January 6, 2012 at 9:38 pm

What KILLER answers! Totally in agreement. Lets do South Dakota until everyone folds. The winner buys the beer and get bragging rights and affections.

PS:  I’m OK with that as long as we end up in Mitchell.

Confusion – is there a bike ride in Minnesota?

“Bicycle Bill”, January 7, 2012 at 3:33 am

tryan said: What KILLER answers! Totally in agreement. Lets do South Dakota until everyone folds. The winner buys the beer and get bragging rights and affections.

PS:  I’m OK with that as long as we end up in Mitchell.

Confusion – is there a bike ride in Minnesota?

There’s one I know of for sure. It’s a fundraiser for the MS Society called TRAM (The Ride Across Minnesota).

There also used to be a ride called “The Jaunt With Jim”.  Originally sponsored by the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, it was hosted/led by one of their writers, Jim Klobuchar (hence the name).

I rode it once back in 1980-something, and there were no sagwagons; whatever you wanted to take you carried on the bike.  For the record, we rode NW from Monticello MN to Osakis MN (distance, roughly 80 miles in one day), and then NW again from Osakis MN to Breckenridge MN on the SD border (another 80-plus mile day).  Three guesses which way the wind was blowing ….. both days.

The “official” name of the event that year was “The Ride to the Red River” (which forms the boundary between MN and SD), although by the end of the second day some of us were referring to it as “The Death March to Dakota”.

After Jim retired from the Star-Trib he created an organization called “Jim Klobuchar’s Adventure Club” and continued to host the Jaunt, although at least once (2003) it apparently eschewed Minnesota to ride through northern Wisconsin.  He has also apparently given in to public opinion — or his own advancing age — and does include a baggage shuttle a la the Register trucks, as well as support services through bike shops such as Penn Cycle of the Twin Cities.

-“BB”-

mlwalk, January 7, 2012 at 8:40 am

I do not get this either, just do it another week or something and you will have all of the hotel rooms you want and none of the crowd of whatever you are trying to get away from.  You are able to ride day  after day of centuries but can not sleep on the good old air mattress for a few nights.  To each his own, good luck with your adventure.

tryan, January 7, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Bicycle Bill: If I read your email corectly the route was east to west without support. I have to laugh because that is so contrary to norm. Of all the states I believe that Minnesota is totally unique. Swedish, Norwegin, then throw in Jesse Ventura(.?!)

Well, I looked up Jim, check this out:  http://www.jimklobuchar.com/. He truly is an adventurer.

The Red River reference is awsome. I looked that up and got a lession in ignorance. My god I would ride that.

You are blessed for having done it!

“Bicycle Bill”, January 8, 2012 at 2:41 am

tryan said: Bicycle Bill: If I read your email corectly the route was east to west without support. I have to laugh because that is so contrary to norm. Of all the states I believe that Minnesota is totally unique. Swedish, Norwegin, then throw in Jesse Ventura(.?!)

Well, I looked up Jim, check this out:  http://www.jimklobuchar.com/. He truly is an adventurer.

The Red River reference is awsome. I looked that up and got a lession in ignorance. My god I would ride that.

You are blessed for having done it!

It was actually a loop rather than a cross-state ride.  Starting in Monticello, the first two nights were Osakis and Breckenridge, as I mentioned above.  From Breckenridge we came back west and north to Detroit Lakes; then back south through Perham and Ottertail to overnight in Ashby; south and east through Alexandria to Sauk Centre; and finally back to Monticello — although I believe there was another stop between there and Sauk Centre; I just forget where.

Someday I’m going to have to get my maps, cue sheets, and other information on the various rides and trails I’ve ridden all together and put ’em in what will probably be the biggest doggoned scrapbook anybody’s ever seen.

-“BB”-

BackInTheSaddleAgain, January 8, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I will not argue with any of you that we are foolish for trying this.  Not the first, nor hopefully the last time, that I will try foolish things.  Seriously, how many of your non-cycling friends question your sanity for riding a “normal”  RAGBRAI week?

This is  just a different adventure that I envisioned and I am drawn to the idea of the extreme challenge, a big party at the end of our third day, and lots of opportunities for inexpensive transportation back across the state at the end of the ride. 

Despite my complaints, I loved RAGBRAI last year, and I’m sure that I will do it again in the more traditional fashion.  But, at age 45, if I’m going to attempt this, I had better do it sooner rather than later.  Just wish us luck, ignore us, or whatever suits you, and I’ll buy a beer on the curb Friday night in _____ for those of you who we have offended by simply asking “what if” (I’m sure those numbers will continue to grow now that I have made that offer).

Warm regards,

BITSA

Michrider !!!, January 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm

BackInTheSaddleAgain said: I will not argue with any of you that we are foolish for trying this.  Not the first, nor hopefully the last time, that I will try foolish things.  Seriously, how many of your non-cycling friends question your sanity for riding a “normal”  RAGBRAI week?

This is  just a different adventure that I envisioned and I am drawn to the idea of the extreme challenge, a big party at the end of our third day, and lots of opportunities for inexpensive transportation back across the state at the end of the ride. 

Despite my complaints, I loved RAGBRAI last year, and I’m sure that I will do it again in the more traditional fashion.  But, at age 45, if I’m going to attempt this, I had better do it sooner rather than later.  Just wish us luck, ignore us, or whatever suits you, and I’ll buy a beer on the curb Friday night in _____ for those of you who we have offended by simply asking “what if” (I’m sure those numbers will continue to grow now that I have made that offer).

Warm regards,

BITSA

Good Luck BITSA! I’m always up (or down) for a beer on the Kurb! I could tell you where we’ll be on Friday night but I’ve been sworn to secrecy!!!

runtster57, January 10, 2012 at 8:03 am

BackInTheSaddleAgain said: I will not argue with any of you that we are foolish for trying this.  Not the first, nor hopefully the last time, that I will try foolish things.  Seriously, how many of your non-cycling friends question your sanity for riding a “normal”  RAGBRAI week? This is  just a different adventure that I envisioned and I am drawn to the idea of the extreme challenge, a big party at the end of our third day, and lots of opportunities for inexpensive transportation back across the state at the end of the ride.  Despite my complaints, I loved RAGBRAI last year, and I’m sure that I will do it again in the more traditional fashion.  But, at age 45, if I’m going to attempt this, I had better do it sooner rather than later.  Just wish us luck, ignore us, or whatever suits you, and I’ll buy a beer on the curb Friday night in _____ for those of you who we have offended by simply asking “what if” (I’m sure those numbers will continue to grow now that I have made that offer). Warm regards, BITSA

Have a good time and of course, good luck! Not really offended in any way but I’m all about the free beer part!! Thanks for the offer! 

BTW, being 45 doesn’t have nearly as much to do with it as the saddle time recorded prior to your attempt! Our average age was 50+ our first 4 day cross state from Muscatine to the start in Sgt Bluff.

dsdouin, January 14, 2012 at 3:36 pm

BITSA, 

I’m thinking about riding the Mo Katy Trail in one day 250+ miles on or near the longest day (late June) with a friend to raise money and awareness for Alzheimers. Its personal, in my family. I’m 58 this month.

dsd

tripld, January 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm

If ever there was a year where you would want to attempt an “ultra distance” ragbrai this is it. XL is flat as a pancake! Although I REALLY like this idea, it looks like I will have to pass this year. My brother has asked if we could do ragbrai together. Being able to ride and hang out with him for a week is a dream come true for me! Best of luck BITSA, and anyone else willing to try something different on this years ride. If you decide to do this again for 2013 give me a shout.

gypsygirl, January 29, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Keep posting if you are really going to do this and get a group together. Will you let girls ride with you? 🙂 always up for a new challenge and this sounds interesting.

beadedbeaded, August 21, 2014 at 6:28 pm

[url=http://sv.kwizzcard.net/ray-ban-2132-c-1.html]Ray Ban RB2132 Wayfarer solglasögon[/url]
[url=http://sv.kwizzcard.net/ray-ban-2132-c-1.html]Discount Ray Ban RB2132 Wayfarer solglasögon[/url]
[url=http://sv.kwizzcard.net/ray-ban-2132-c-1.html]Cheap Ray Ban RB2132 Wayfarer solglasögon[/url]

[url=http://sv.kwizzcard.net/ray-ban-2132-c-1.html]Ray Ban RB2132 Wayfarer solglas

Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014