Using iPods

Whats the RAGBRAI policy and Iowa law for headphones while biking? I realize it is not a good idea during the RAGBRAI with the thousands of crazies out but just for information.

13 Replies

Csprint, January 23, 2012 at 2:56 am

As I remember from Bicycling magazine, it is illegal to wear headphones while riding in almost all 50 states.  (‘Course a lot of people do anyway).  However, tried to find in the Iowa statutes, internet connection being a bit slow for me and couldn’t find.
Corey

Tony, January 23, 2012 at 6:34 am

RAGBRAI discourages the use of headphones and ear buds. Iowa code states bicycles must obey the same laws as motor vehicles. It is illegal in Iowa to drive a vehicle with headphones. Most people on RAGBRAI have the stereo built into to trailers, boom boxes mounted to a rear rack, speakers that fit into a bottle cage, mount to handle bars, or under the saddle.

Papa T, January 23, 2012 at 11:41 am

Tony said: RAGBRAI discourages the use of headphones and ear buds. Iowa code states bicycles must obey the same laws as motor vehicles. It is illegal in Iowa to drive a vehicle with headphones. Most people on RAGBRAI have the stereo built into to trailers, boom boxes mounted to a rear rack, speakers that fit into a bottle cage, mount to handle bars, or under the saddle.

i HAVE “BIKE TO BEACH, $50 FROM iHOME.  Works fine Loud enough but not real loud.  

Michrider !!!, January 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

dsdouin said: Whats the RAGBRAI policy and Iowa law for headphones while biking? I realize it is not a good idea during the RAGBRAI with the thousands of crazies out but just for information.

Seems to me that wearing headphones on RAGBRAI could be an invitation to disaster!  Way too much going happening on the road!!!! 

shawndev, January 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm

May not be a law against it, but it’s just flat-out a bad idea. There are too many people doing things you need to be aware of around you. For your safety and people around you, go with the speaker option.

nwiabikr, January 23, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I’m unaware of any law against it. I’ve used them on RAGBRAI but always used just one ear bud so I could still hear what was going on around me.

Phil1961, January 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I use an Ipod all the time when I bike including Ragbrai, (only one ear bud), just don’t be a idiot and you will be fine. I think the boom box people are a little obnoxious, but hey it’s Ragbrai.

krucam, January 26, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I really miss the days when the only noise you needed on RAGBRAI was the freewheel clicking, hum of tires, wind in my ears, a cow moo, a friendly conversation.

I HATE these rolling stereo systems that you can hear a mile away and are stuck with until you pass them AND until you get a mile in front of them.

With that said, iPods and earbuds while not ideal, are ok when by yourself or in small groups of people you know & trust. This isn’t the case in RAGBRAI.

I’d suggest conversation with one of 10,000 of your closest friends or a quiet cage-mount iHome setup.

tjdale, January 29, 2012 at 11:29 pm

One Good Earbud to the rescue!

http://onegoodearbud.com/

jnv75, January 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I bought an external speaker ($10 at Best Buy) that plugs into my I Pod and mounted it to my handlebars, Has been a nice way to listen to music while still having my ears unobstructed in order to hear.

ehlent, January 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm

this kind of question comes up every year, but I dont get it.   Why not just leave the music devices at home and enjoy the bike ride????

cofb, January 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Has anyone got one of these yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hKnZuOo9h1g#t=20s 

Thoreau, January 30, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I don’t use headphones/earbuds on Ragbrai just because I want to be open to conversation (or warnings) from fellow Ragbrai riders. I’ve used them on training rides on occasion just to pass the time–but I know it isn’t a good idea. 

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015