The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Vegetarian Food

Food options for vegetarians seemed better and more varied last year than the year before. But I should have been taking notes, because I’ve forgotten most of them already. What were some of your favorites? And can we expect to see Dirt Burger again?

8 Replies

Bruce Woodrow, July 4, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Carbo Hut was usually set up in the Meeting Town, serving vegetarian and vegan meals. I hope they are back this year.

Dirt Burger was also great.

CarboHut, July 17, 2019 at 8:40 am

Hi Everyone,

Yes, we will be on RAGBRAI again this year. We make rice and noodle bowls with a different topping everyday. And we do have vegetarian & vegan food as well as food with meat in it.

Here are the towns that we will be in and what we will be serving:

Saturday at the Expo in Council Bluffs we will be serving Red Beans and rice (or noodles) with or
without Sausage
Sunday we will be in the meeting town of Avoca serving Sweet & Sour Chicken or veggies
Monday we will be in the meeting town of Stuart serving Shrimp or Veggie Tuscana
Tuesday we will be in the meeting town of Norwalk serving Garlic Chili Chicken or Veggie
Wednesday we will be in the meeting town of Chariton serving Vegetable Beef (or no beef)
Thursday we will be in the meeting town of Bloomfield serving Teriyaki Chicken or Veggie
Friday we couldn’t get into the meeting town so will be in Houghton (5 miles down the road) serving
Ground Beef or Veggie Marinara. We will have Tempeh as the protein alternative this day.
Saturday we will be in the meeting town of Donnellson serving Chicken (or veggie) & Noodles (or
rice)

Additionally, we will have:
Mac & Cheese and Sweet potatoes daily.
We serve all natural, real fruit smoothies daily and have different flavors throughout the week. You
can add protein powder to this is you choose.
We usually have tofu as a protein alternative except as indicated above.
This year I have purchased some black beans and am planning to serve it as a side maybe a couple of
days (we’ll see how is works out). I haven’t yet decided which days, so stop by and check.

We hope to see all of you again this year!

Ride on!

Carbo Hut

francoisvanzyl, July 17, 2019 at 9:50 am

Nice post Carbo Hut

Kelly Paananen, July 17, 2019 at 10:46 am

Sounds delish Carbo Hut!

Ed Chimahusky, July 17, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Dirt Burger will not be on RAGBRAI. I already asked them. They are setting up a new restaurant location.

Kari Storjohann, July 17, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Dirt Burger is open in DSM! Maybe worth the trek up there Tuesday 😉

KenH, July 17, 2019 at 4:44 pm

To mis-quote the late, great Fats Waller: red beans and rice, sounds pretty nice! I don’t belong here because I’ll have the sausage with the please!!

Micky Sax, July 17, 2019 at 8:17 pm

I’ve done a couple vegetarian RAGBRAIs and last year as vegan. The “smoothie & burrito” stand gets a lot of business! Their burritos with a side of carrots and tortilla chips is solid. There was a vegan pizza stand in Boone last year. And more than once I had a vegan Asian noodle bowl from a stand. Oh…and pickles on a stick. Like you said, more and more great options year after year.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014