Virtually Impressed

So, the RAGBRAI staff announced that they were going to announce something on June 15, which would be today, on a Just Go Bike podcast or two ago. Just visited the home page and saw the announcement for a virtual RAGBRAI. They want $55 for registration. Meh, I’ll take a pass, I thought.

But I read through the whole thing and now I’m thinking maybe it would be $55 worth of fun and swag after all. You can’t get a jersey with 2020 on it because they did not put the year on this year’s jersey. If you ride a century on virtual RAGBRAI Thursday it appears you can get a 2020 Karras loop patch however.

So yeah, now I am actually considering it. Due to a stupid human trick involving a soft sided cooler, some dry ice from Hy-Vee, and a motorhome refrigerator with a freezer I think I may even have a little Beekmans left over from last year!

9 Replies

mootsman, June 15, 2020 at 3:58 pm

Yawn…. I’d be more apt to ride the yet to be named ride, the p-b-v signature ride Sept 18 – 20 that camps in 1 place and has 2 loop rides each day (real not virtual). 1 paved and 1 gravel loop each day but you can do both.

francoisvanzyl, June 15, 2020 at 4:31 pm

PBV is setting up a Katy Trail ride in late July. Since I cannot go to Iowa, Missouri will have to do.

The Masked Rider, June 15, 2020 at 9:17 pm

Me thinks they are about to change the name to Tidebrai.

Jason Shediwy, June 16, 2020 at 9:21 am

There’s a bunch of teams headed to MN to ride the Root river trail. At this point we’re hearing of 15 Ragbrai teams and many small groups and singles. Will have some events set up, bags tourney, sand VB tourney, concert. Not organized, ride when and where you want, you’ll have plenty of company. Find your own motel, air bnb, or campground. Trail is 65 miles, 8-9 small quaint towns, many shops restaurants and bars. Root river also has many outfitters for kayaking and tubing.

Week of July 18-25

On Facebook search Root river 2020 and ask to join the page. This page is for communication between people during that week and to get info.

Come join us, and bring Ragbrai to Minnesota!

Sandaltan ., June 16, 2020 at 12:49 pm

Ahhhhh…the Root River Trail is an excellent choice to work off some RAGBRAI disappointment. Do not miss Karst Brewing in Fountain, it is worth the climb, they will explain karst to the unknowing and best of all they brew, when I was there last, some great dark beer. Lanesboro has one of my all time favorite American Legion clubs, great people and a good solid spirit pour plus a meat raffle on Fridays.

RIDE RIGHT

mootsman, June 16, 2020 at 6:25 pm

For those who sign up for Virtual RAGBRAI, let us know on this thread. I can think of plenty of virtual rides I can put on especially for $55 a pop. In fact I’ll offer discount, $50.

KenH, June 25, 2020 at 4:05 pm

mootsman, June 16, 2020 at 6:25 pm
For those who sign up for Virtual RAGBRAI, let us know on this thread. I can think of plenty of virtual rides I can put on especially for $55 a pop. In fact I’ll offer discount, $50.

In terms of doing this I think people like Zwift have a huge head start on you but there could be room for an upstart competitor if you were serious enough and can get the financial backing. The reason that RAGBRAI can do it with relative ease is that they have a deep connection to many of us and can leverage our past experiences to make it worthwhile enough for some of us to pony up.

But when you are ready to put your plan out on the table I am willing to consider it!

From my perspective the virtual RAGBRAI registration gets me some SWAG, it gives me motivation to go out that week and do some extra riding which I now have to train for if I really mean to do a century, and it gives the RAGBRAI team some money to help pay salaries and expenses which I hope will help guarantee they will still be there when real RAGBRAI returns next year. The last is the biggest reason to participate, it is similar to what my family has been trying to do for the small businesses in our town through this crisis.

thangamalang, June 26, 2020 at 5:42 am

Do not miss Karst Brewing in Fountain, it is worth the climb,

Ahhhh , but the coast down the grade from Fountain is great! Been there several times. Much to see and do in the area.

igor, July 10, 2020 at 3:21 pm

I signed up! Looking forward to the tech tee and the pint glass. I’ll wash my stinky bike clothes with a Tide Pod too. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015