WAKE UP OUT THERE!

2013 is over! Time to speculate about 2014!

HERE IS THE 2014 ROUTE:

Le Mars
Sibley
Emmetsburg
Forest City
Osage
Decorah
West Union
Guttenberg

60 Replies

Michrider !!!, September 3, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I remember LeClaire in 2008 but don’t remeber any huge traffic problems! So, if it turns out that LeClaire doesn’t want us, then we go elsewhere! Were there traffic problems getting out of Davenport? I don’t remember, that was the year I made the Bubba mistake!!!!

This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Michrider !!!.

Amanda, September 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I just helped my son and his wife move to a house in Hawarden(they were in a small apt). Now they have a big yard across from my brother SO Team Fungus has agreat area to stay at in Hawarden. So TJ, HAWARDEN,HAWARDEN,HAWARDEN,HAWARDEN,HAWARDEN, HAWARDEN, HAWARDEN,HAWARDEN, HAWARDEN, HAWARDEN, HAWARDEN, HAWARDEN, HAWARDEN!

Michrider !!!, September 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm

HAWARDEN????

ts, September 3, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I’m with you, MR – I thought LeClaire was great. Enthusiastic people, great dip site, nice town. They even had shower trucks right down near the river, which was very convenient. I do remember a *long* line of team vehicles lined up along the only road in or out, but getting out wasn’t a big deal.

Iceman, September 3, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Folks, I thought Le Claire was fine and had no problems getting out. But read the article. It’s about Davenport touting their strengths, primarily the highway access leading out of town. In the article, Le Claire officials are quoting as saying they had problems.

And I keep hearing this when start and finish town selection is the topic. For example, RAGBRAI does not seem interested in going to Lansing again and the pundits on this forum always talk about the restricted access in and out of Lansing.

And I’m not saying it’s not a valid concern for the DMR folks in their selections of start/finish towns, but if it is, I can see why we keep trudging back and forth down the I-80 corridor.

Davy Sprocket, September 4, 2013 at 4:49 am

I don’t remember Le Claire being problematic, but then again I didn’t drive the team bus. I actually liked LeClaire and would really like to get out of the I-80 rut.

Davy

jwsknk, September 4, 2013 at 8:29 am

Le Claire, was that the year at one point when we were riding in and could see I-80 just to the south (right) of us we realized we were moving faster than they were?

They made Sabula work once even with few ways in and the narrow streets that took our professional bus driver 2-3 shots to get around a corner. So why not Marquette/McGregor? Decorah, A52 east to meeting town Waukon, support on 9. South out of Waukon to 79 and Rossville and into town from the north. Support out of Waukon 9 to 51, Postville, into town on 18. Support can exit south on x56.

Or are we left with Dubuque, Clinton, Quad cities, Muscatine, Burlington and Ft. Madison as end towns?

Iceman, September 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

I don’t want to go back to Dubuque. Nothing against Dubuque itself but they did the worst job of traffic control I have ever seen. I remember we were on the second PBV scheduled to leave Dubuque and the first, second and third buses were all at a hotel in Dubuque a little more than three miles from the PBV loading site. The traffic was so bad that the first bus got to the PBV loading about an hour late (it took about 1 1/2 hours to go three miles in the Dubuque traffic) and the second and third buses were both more than two hours late. I’d say it took us an hour more to get onto the highway. And what a miserable afternoon – about half of the space the city of Dubuque allotted to PBV to load was under water and the rest of it was a side street (no way to escape the heat and stench from the water which had been standing since the rains a week before).

ts, September 4, 2013 at 7:03 pm

You could have a northern route and still end in Clinton or even Bettendorf. I don’t remember the kind of traffic you describe in Dubuque, but that was probably because our team met on the western outskirts of town. It was a bit more riding for us, but it sounds like it was worth it. I’ve never been to either Bellevue or Guttenberg, so either of those would be my preference for an end town.

dalebob, September 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I was just looking at the route from Ragbrai 18. Sioux Center, Spencer, Algona, Hampton, Oelwein, Cedar Rapids, Washington, Burlington. Has there been a route like that lately? A northern route with a south ending.

jake d, September 4, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I loved Dubuque. Iceman, the problem PBV had was the spot they were given. It was one of the first along the road where all the charters were located. At that point it was basically the bike route for anyone using a charter with tons of traffic.

Our charter was less than 5 minutes farther away , by bike, off that same road. Easy in, easy out, with a couple of fooding options just down the street.

I know there are lots of folks who just love PBV, but for that size of group they should really look at staging outside the main area.

RAGBRAI can sometimes be a crap shoot, even if you’re riding with PBV.

Davy Sprocket, September 4, 2013 at 9:45 pm

ts: I’ve never been to either Bellevue or Guttenberg,

I thought Guttenberg was great and would welcome a return.

Davy

Iceman, September 5, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’ve never been to Guttenberg and I’d settle for that (and by the way, do they pronounce that like gut or goot?).

I still would like to go all the way to Lansing but I hold little hope of that ever happening. And that’s ashamed – the end town always gets, it seems to me, not a great deal of economic benefit like the start town does (which – I think – is the best reason for alternating West to East and the next year East to West). People can take their time leaving Lansing and it’s fairly close to several large airports – to which some enterprising charter service could make some money running shuttles.

Iceman, September 5, 2013 at 9:59 am

jake d: I loved Dubuque. Iceman, the problem PBV had was the spot they were given. It was one of the first along the road where all the charters were located. At that point it was basically the bike route for anyone using a charter with tons of traffic.

Our charter was less than 5 minutes farther away , by bike, off that same road. Easy in, easy out, with a couple of fooding options just down the street.

I know there are lots of folks who just love PBV, but for that size of group they should really look at staging outside the main area.

RAGBRAI can sometimes be a crap shoot, even if you’re riding with PBV.

Well, yes and no. It was just bad luck that PBV was assigned an area which got flooded. That could have happened to any charter, no matter how big or small.

The problem was traffic – all over Dubuque. The buses PBV used had to come across town and what should have been a 10 to 15 trip literally took several hours. There is no excuse for that – it was just bad planning by Dubuque and had nothing whatsoever to do with where PBV was assigned among the charters. Nor did it have anything to do with PBV’s size. I think PBV had maybe 5 or 6 charter buses going from Dubuque back to Omaha and they were to leave the PBV loading area about every 30 minutes or so. That usually results in only one or two buses being at the PBV site at one time.

Dubuque looks like it’s big enough to not let that sort of bad planning happen again.

jake d, September 5, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Iceman your point is well taken. I wasn’t trying to put the blame on PBV, or give the town a free pass. If it took several hours for your buses to cross town, there was obviously a serious snafu that had not been anticipated.

I don’t know where our buses originated from, I only know they had no problem getting in or out of town. Our destination was the DM area, so I’m assuming a similar return route as Omaha.

If Dubuque is chosen in the future, you could always contact there committee with your concerns.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015