RAGBRAI XLVIII lottery results will be emailed to riders throughout the week!

'Walking' through the towns

It looks like there is quite a bit of walking involved while entering and passing through towns. Do you take some collapsible shoes or footwear to change in to for this?

18 Replies

Coleman Tucker, July 9, 2019 at 10:56 pm

I carry flip-flops under my saddle. When I want to stick around town (which is pretty often), off come the shoes and socks and on go the flip-flops. My feet LOVE the breeze!

Brady Bisgard, July 10, 2019 at 9:10 am

Shimano SPD sandals are amazing for a summer day. In the past I have also used SPD mountain bike shoes.

My roommate uses the 3 pin racing clips – he looks miserable.

skb-mpls, July 10, 2019 at 8:38 pm

I’ll be the goofball wearing bright colored crocs with odyssey pedals on my Fairdale Weekender drop. After 3 RAGBRAI’s my wife thinks I need a new pair – but I’ll retire them after this season. I’ll have nearly 12,000 miles on them. It’s the only shoes I wear when biking from April > October in MN.

I hated my Giro spd shoes as invariably one gets your feet wet filling water bottles, rainy day road spray from front tire & after day 3 jungle rot seems to take hold in my shoes. I had to leave them outside as I nearly gagged from the odor in my tent. With crocks… I don’t get hot spots, comfortable when walking through towns, and they dry out quickly. Sure… I loose a little push going up hills but- it is a ride and not a race. At 63 I’m in reasonable shape & average 12-15 mph – any faster I’m going to miss some of the scenery.

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI